Spontaneous Crashing

Hello all,

I am suddenly unable to play the game in anything other than paused. Everything was absolutely fine until I started revamping one of my habitats. Ever since then, I cannot play the game in anything other than paused mode as I am experiencing consistent crashing. The issue I’m experiencing is whenever I load into a certain save file, the game crashes if I don’t hit pause within roughly 5 seconds of loading in. Similarly, if I am lucky enough to be able to get into the zoo, once I do press play (to move animals into habitats or to other facilities) I get about 4 seconds of movement before the game crashes. I've experienced something like this before and never found a solution, the file just randomly started working after one of the updates but I'd already moved on to a brand new save by the point. Unfortunately, this is a bit different as there's almost a year's worth of progress that I would have to recreate from scratch or just abandon completely. The zoo is already closed so it has nothing to do with guest numbers.

Here are the measures I’ve taken to try and get around this crash and the outcome of those methods:
  • Removing all items, both modded and vanilla, that have been placed since the crashes started = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Removing only modded pieces placed since the crashes started = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Changing lighting from 'On' to 'Automatic' = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the game = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Verifying local files = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Loading from autosave = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Loading from manual save = Game crashes when not paused.
  • Reducing the graphics from high to low = Game crashes when not paused.
I am genuinely at a loss for what could be behind this issue. The number of mods doesn’t seem to be an issue as everything was working fine until I revamped the Emu & Red Kangaroo habitat, both of which are Frontier's animals. My PC's RAM also doesn’t seem to be an issue as it is at the maximum capacity of 32GB already and again, everything was working fine until I touched the Emu & Red Kangaroo habitat. The game installation and priority are set correctly so it can’t be that either.

Either way, any help and/or suggestions will be appreciated as this save file has been nearly a year in the making and forms the primary content on my channel!

All the best,

J-Double U

UPDATE #1: In a rather interesting development I have discovered 2 possible causes for the crashes. Firstly, removing all the animal mods allows me to play the game outside of being paused. The downside is that as it currently stands, about 80% of my zoo is modded animals (new species) so this isn't ideal and prior to the crashes I hadn't added or removed any animal mods, and the game was fine just a few days ago. The second possible cause is a Red Kangaroo called Kalinda who appears to be bugged. I can't sell her or release her, she has no injuries or quarantine requirements and I can only move her from the quarantine to the habitat and back again. Can anyone suggest anything to do here?

UPDATE #2: If anyone is interested, Hexabit was able to give me some advice and I was able to find the three culprits causing the crash. It was three animal mods, something to do with the AssetPackagesExtrasList.OVL. Hopefully, this will help anyone experiencing similar crashes. I've notified the creator of those three mods that game-breaking crashes are occurring and hopefully, they will be able to fix it by the next DLC/update.

Attachments

• Screenshot (218)1.png
    Screenshot (218)1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Top Bottom