Squadrons: Hopes and expectations

With the Chapter 4 beta now not far off, what are everyone's hopes and exceptations for Squadrons and related content?

Personally I am looking forward to it and expect that it will improve the game greatly. When I have spoken to a few friends that have stopped playing Elite over the last 4 years before, lack of support for organisations in the game was one of the top reasons, so hopefully squadrons could bring a few back.

My biggest hope though is that Squadrons can be integrated with existing or have option to automatically establish a new minor faction in the background sim as that will open up some very interesting gameplay possibilities (and for existing player minor factions their owners can claim ownership of them if they prove they created it and the squadron name is the same, Frontier have everyone's email addresses on record that have ever created a PMF so should be easy to do via email verification).

If squadrons and PMF were integrated imagine if you could then see info on other players in the game you see in space showing their standing with your PMF and with rival MF in system, would help determine if that neutral who you have seen hanging around the station in your system lately is working for or against you!

What if every station owned by the PMF not only gave a discounts on equipment, refueling etc to all member of the squadron linked to it but also provided an income to the squadron in taxes raised from every market sale, refueling, refitting, rearming etc actions from all players who dock at it?

What if some of that income could then be used to automatically pay your squadron members a wage based on their activity in working towards the goals the squadron leader has set?

And what if the rest of the income could then go in to a squadron fund to go towards purchasing capital ships for squadron, or for upgrades to or new stations in positions chosen by the squadron in any system controlled by their PMF?

If another PMF linked to a squadron expands to your system and goes to war with your squadrons PMF, how about the war automatically expands to the squadrons, who can then engage each others members freely in open without getting a bounty or police intervention? (with an option for both sides to concede defeat early if they are losing and have had enough and want to end it).

Speaking of wars how about allowing two opposing squadrons the option to choose to go to war anytime if they feel like it if it is consented to by both sides, with victory conditions for both?

The possibilities are endless... I think if just the above was to happen that would revolutionize the game, but I guess we will just have to wait to see what the devs have got in store for us [smile]

Last edited:
From the teaser trailer, it looks like a Squadron can adopt an in game faction, which means that whilst players wait for player faction to be approved and created in game they can adopt a faction in the system they want to be in.

Or it can enable players to have an insta faction to support, without waiting for months to see if their submission "The Throbbing Dongers of Ejaculati" is approved ;-)

Again the squadron snippets in the teaser trailer also infers that there are challenges that can be performed and a rating Gold, Silver, Bronze can be achieved, this seems to contribute to a Squadron rating, so you can compete with other squadrons without necessarily just shooting them in the face. A good way for PG only Squadrons to interact or compete with other PG Squadrons.

War/Conflict states will continue to be driven by factions, so if your supported faction goes into a war state, then to help that faction out the Squadron can do BGS stuff to help out (fight in CZ's) and that means if you are playing in Open and the faction that it is at war with will then have players on teh other side. But if the Squadron is Private Group based, the opposing faction's squadron can also compete by doing normal BGS stuff (CZ missions etc).

But, players need to remind themselves that only through BGS work can you change system states to WAR, deciding that you dont like Squadron X doesn't mean you can declare war on them, unless the faction they support goes into a war state with the faction you support.

If the a way to expand the Ankh Guard's from Pratchett's Disc out into the rest of the bubble I'll be all for it.
However there's no stations near enough, I don't believe, so that's not gona happen.

My hopes and expectations are rather divergent when it comes to anything related to ED. Hopes are high while expectations are low. This is a learned response to FD's history.

I hope that squadrons will bring more fun to the game. Coop and some meaningful PvP perhaps. Maybe a bit of strategic flair in a decidedly tactical game.

My expectations are that it will be a broken layer of comms that will cede itself to discord. I hope my expectations are wrong.

I don't place hopes and expectations on video games.

Why do you?

You what?!! Internet spaceships is serious business I will have you know, burn the heretic!!

Ps: I have got plenty of other hopes and expectations not related to video games and a great life already thanks, so troll off :p

My hopes and expectations are... a bit more mundane.
I hope every local chat channel is not overrun with “Join my squadron” spam, or my block list is going to overflow.
I expect this will not be the case.
The Sheeple have been bleeting too long about this, so I expect them to stampede.

You what?!! Internet spaceships is serious business I will have you know, burn the heretic!!

Ps: I have got plenty of other hopes and expectations not related to video games and a great life already thanks, so troll off :p

Good for you, but why do you wildly speculate about what might happen in an upcoming video game release? I don't understand why anyone would think like that.

Good for you, but why do you wildly speculate about what might happen in an upcoming video game release? I don't understand why anyone would think like that.
haha ok :)

For someone who preaches about not spending time and energy on such trivial things as video games, I am surprised to find you seem to spend an awful lot of your time on a internet discussion board about video games, as according to your profile you've made over 850+ posts here.

How many countless hours does it take to write 850+ posts? As someone who prides themselves on only wasting thought on serious matters you must surely be a great success in real life, so wouldn't all that time have been better spent onboard your luxury yacht with the supermodel girlfriend you must surely have rather than pontificating on a video game forum to a bunch of loser internet geeks?

Do you need to question your life choices perhaps? :)

From the teaser trailer, it looks like a Squadron can adopt an in game faction, which means that whilst players wait for player faction to be approved and created in game they can adopt a faction in the system they want to be in.

Or it can enable players to have an insta faction to support, without waiting for months to see if their submission "The Throbbing Dongers of Ejaculati" is approved ;-)

Good to know at least some form of BGS tie in with squadrons is planned, thanks.

The explorer content reveal last night has surpassed a lot of people's expectations, so lets hope there are a lot more bells and whistles to come with this too.

Top Bottom