SRV'ing round a ridge world - Pomeche 2 c

It was a perfect jump, covering the gap and saving several minutes of slipping and sliding up on the other side. Unfortunately, it was 1m too far to the left and on this ridge 1 meter off either way has only one outcome.
Noooo 😟

I backtracked 10km along the ridge and found nowhere to disembark. The ridge drops down about 700m beyond the fall point and I've managed to land in the valley with just a short climb to get back on top of things.
Good work though, you might be at the camping spot I talk about above?

Edit: Days 14 and 15 on previous page

Good work though, you might be at the camping spot I talk about above?
Not so good. It looks as if the ridge has collapsed just before the high peak where you had problems. I climbed up the rubble back to the travel line but can't get up the berg to continue the journey. There doesn't seem to be enough room on the ridge to build up enough momentum to jump the break, even if I could see where I was going.
Needs some thought.

Struggled to get anywhere near the top of the ridge.
Ice all round.
Look at the hole I'm in.
Spider in the bath.
Pomeche00.jpg

Alas, poor Alvin! I knew him, Sgurr: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
And now he sits forever, frozen, in the seat of his cold SVR.
Forever without the climbing or flyving skills that might have freed him from this frigid prison.
Forever without the Phantom that beat itself to death in vain rescue attempts, extending the lift of life to a stranded SRV that was - and is - forever out of reach.
He sits there alone and unchanging, dreaming for eternity of what might have been, the new Phantom of Pomeche.

Alvin Wall Stardust - gone for good, not just an ice cream.

Alas, poor Alvin! I knew him, Sgurr: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
And now he sits forever, frozen, in the seat of his cold SVR.
Forever without the climbing or flyving skills that might have freed him from this frigid prison.
Forever without the Phantom that beat itself to death in vain rescue attempts, extending the lift of life to a stranded SRV that was - and is - forever out of reach.
He sits there alone and unchanging, dreaming for eternity of what might have been, the new Phantom of Pomeche.

Alvin Wall Stardust - gone for good, not just an ice cream.
That's a worthy tribute
I'll pay my respects when I'm next journeying
o7

Day 16: A little more circling, then on

The day began a little too soon after dawn, but I didn't mind nightvisioning up this at least onto the ridge proper before waiting for better light:
Day 16 - the climb.jpg

Still intimidating and still tricksome.

Then settled in until:
Day 16 - continuing on the ridge.jpg

I set off and took my time, enjoying this last section of the ridge. Yes I'd been over it once before already but it was so much better this time through. Better views, better piloting, and more present rather than rushing trying to beat fading light:
Source: https://youtu.be/pfBtj2y0Lv4

and then approaching the end of the ridge:
Day 16 - ridge end.jpg

before slowing down carefully and taking in the canyon ahead:
Day 16 - canyon ahead.jpg

The last part of the ridge was a joy this time, no misteps or poor flyving on my part, just taking pleasure in the end of this thinnest of ridges.
I also didn't have the unknown of the canyon ahead and whether it was possible, just another section to look forward to so after a little meandering for a take off spot:
Source: https://youtu.be/9dXEUAFubNc

Then an easy flyve up the slopes to day 14's parking spot. I'll reshow the photo from that day as it's better light/angle than Day 16's:
Day 16 - lookout view.jpg

And yes, 6 days driving with almost no longitude to show for it, but a LOT of fun and enjoyment to remember.
It was amazing.

So onward.
I could reverse the knife ridge back to safer ground?, but while that would be fun it's time to travel some new ground.
After peering at overhead shots I think I see another ridge to explore, one that even takes me in the right direction. It might be the final ridge for a while so I'm hoping for good things.

Running parallel to the knife ridge for a while I stop for one last look ...:
Day 16 - last look at ridge.jpg

... before aiming further south, crossing a wide but uneventful canyon and it's while climbing the the other side that I see:
Day 16 - crash site.jpg

The crash site has a huge exclusion zone, but I'm too much of a scavanger and can't resist heading in for a closer look.

I at least have the sense to turn my shields back on, but not the sense to think ahead.
I pootle around the crash area, unconcerned at the ticking clock of trespass, and while there might be Crank worthy cannisters here (only toxic waste, no nerve agents I'm afraid) there is a data core in the DBS remains which I scan.
Or at least I would have if I'd remembered to turn it on ...
and then actually binding a trigger so I could use it.
All for a juicy 4000cr of intel for the feds. Talk about stingy!

The missiles wake me up and I'm off up the last of the slope and out of range. All good.

Except, that means I now have a bounty, which means the next time my local authority fans turn up to wish me well they're got going to be best pleased when they scan me.
Oops. I won't look at all shifty dismissing the ship as soon as they arrive, assuming I actually remember to do that of course.
Note to self: 4 pips to ship's shields!

Ten minutes later and there it is, the next ridge:
Day 16 - the next ridge.jpg

Time to park up.

For the first time on this journey the logs are actually up to date. This is where I currently am waiting for the sun to rise.

While waiting I receive news that the knife ridge has gained a ghost in the shape of Cmdr Alvin after getting into difficulties and finding themselves in an impossible hole.
I do wish they'd sent up a distress beacon, as while I didn't want lift the ship off the ground I would have absolutely made an exception for that, and Cobra's have nice flat tops for srvs to sit on.
I get out the spirits, pour a shot and raise a toast to a frozen cmdr o7

World shot will follow later,

o7 cmdrs

Link to Day 17

Last edited:
Day 17: New ground

Dawn:
Day 17 - dawn.jpg

A little after sunrise I'm off and running, heading for the ridge pictured in the previous entry and picking my way down the uneven slopes to get there when:
Day 17 - well hello.jpg

I know the gravity's low but how do you walk in there, or make coffee hmmm? (Phantom's do have coffee machines right?)
And most importantly why can't my autopilot do that when I put the srv somewhere unmentionable.

Continuing down I find the crossing is trouble free and make my way up the other side and onto the ridge which, for a little while anyway, is stress free.

The view to the north (my right as I'm travelling) is dominated by the ridge that Crank and I tackled on Day 11, and then Crank arrives as we pass the chasm we had to cross that day:
DAy 17 - Crank arriving and chasm we crossed.jpg

We're also looking towards the knife ridge, it's in front of the Day 11 ridge, but you can't see it. The knife ridge itself is 7-8kms high in places, yet it's hidden in the canyon in front of the Day 11 ridge, and that rises the same distance again above the land around. The scale of this place boggles my mind sometimes.
The other thing I find mind boggling is that I'd never have spotted, or decided to drive, that ridge unless we'd gotten as close as we did, improbable it would be spotted from SC.

Back to today, for the moment the ridge is nicely rocky and grippy although the drop on the right is growing deeper as we move, we just don't know yet how deep.
Occasionally we take in the view, including the growing presence of this ridge turning into something narrow, curved and icy. What I thought might be the main difficulties for the day:
Day 17 - spine ridge.jpg

And it's not long before we're dropping down towards it, where the terrain suddenly becomes icy and gnarly with unpredictable bounces. For science Crank uses one of the bad bounces to test the depth of that deep right right canyon, and gets 10 vertical kms down!
That wasn't event from the highest point on the ridge.

The recovery goes well and we find ourselves at the bottom of that icy curved ridge ...:
Day 17 - spine ridge start.jpg

... where we pause for a short break.

Coming back later there's enough light that even temporary use of nightvision isn't needed and we tackle the climb onto the ridge proper.

I was right about the difficulties. It continued being gnarly, and combined with the steepness and little opportunity to build momentum this was a bit of a slog. There was more than a little swearing, on my part anyway, multiple attempts at some sections to find a workable path, and occasional boost udging working with MVM (minimum viable momentum) to get up the steeper sections which Crank aptly demonstrates:
Source: https://youtu.be/H-BDZySad1A

It was only when looking back we got a better sense of how lumpy things had been:
Day 17 - looking back.jpg

Even after we thought things were easing the ridge wasn't in the mood to let up:
Day 17 - steep climb and camp in the distance.jpg

but from here we got our first glimpse of my intended stop for the day, where the ridge turns rocky and flat in the distance.

We still had to get over there though and the ridge's bad mood persisted with uneven and undulating terrain extending all the way to the plateau beyond:
Day 17 - approaching ridge end.jpg

Even with what we'd already done today this was testing ground and I eased back and picked my way to safety:
Source: https://youtu.be/BsFPTI0TDQ8

and for those who won't/can't watch the video:
Day 17 - boom.jpg

o7 cmdrs

Link to Day 18

Attachments

• Day 17 - spine ridge first sight.jpg
    Day 17 - spine ridge first sight.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Pomeche claims yet another SRV. Or two, as it got mine shortly after. It should have warnings as people arrive!

@sgurr The thing that really struck me about the ending in retrospect was that you'd been able to climb all the mountains that I'd failed (and I avoided a couple more due to lack of landing sites). I just hope that the last jump hadn't lulled you into a false sense of security as I had made it first time (so it can't be too bad, right? :D) But.. Too late now. Pomeche has spoken.

I'll put some footage together when I get a chance too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom