Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
No, Beta is 2020... shurely? ;)

Answer the Call.

giphy.webp

Nice contrast. But, the ED video just shows why I no longer play it.
Due to a lack of context, I'll assume it's the high frames-per-second smooth gameplay and VR support - which isn't for everyone (yet).

Hopefully the nausea-causing aspects of VR will subside as the tech improves allowing for those with queasy stomachs to join the future of immersive gaming entertainment :)

So what i get from that video is none of the following are factor in the flight model: aerodynamics, thrust, or drag.... possibly some other things i'm not picking up on.
No gravity either (that's the most jarring on 1G planets). These 30 tons of metal can still stop and hover just above the surface nose down without any issue. The small manoeuver thrusters are still ridiculously overpowered (think about 5G acceleration on mav thrusters alone !!). Also big armored surface vehicles can flip and stand on their nose like huge beach balloons or big cardboard boxes.

Detailed physics in the flight model were indeed part of the original vision of SC. It's just not accurate to say it was never supposed to learn towards the 'sim' of space sim. I know that I didn't back it because of the flight physics, but I found it an interesting aspect of the project.
They also had multiple page length details on their website detailing how they would do "proper" newtonian physics and 2nd order movement (of which there is still none, movement is still purely 1st order linear). You can notice that on posted vid with those fighters changing directions instantly (like on yaw or sliding up / down without a 2nd order "curve")

Last edited:
The difference is that 99 % of what Elite promised is doable, because they didn't promise everything to everyone. And they said that it will take years to deliver some more advanced features: "They (stretch goals) won't happen on day one, even if we hit stretch goals, but they will happen with time, some time after release," stretch goals being stuff like other platforms support and stuff mentioned earlier in the video, like walking around.

The 1 % - in my opinion - is when Elite promised early on they would do offline singleplayer, that was indeed naive.
I don't really see the difference to be honest...claiming it's doable is just exactly the same as anyone claiming the same for Star Citizen...anyway, not a point worth nitpicking about since I like both for different reasons :)

You can notice that on posted vid with those fighters changing directions instantly (like on yaw or sliding up / down without a 2nd order "curve")

If you are able to do this "change direction instantly" you've gotta let me know how it is done. Will be OP in PVP and no one else knows how to do it. Well, at least anyone that PVP's.....

I don't really see the difference to be honest...claiming it's doable is just exactly the same as anyone claiming the same for Star Citizen...anyway, not a point worth nitpicking about since I like both for different reasons :)

Me either, tbh, the real difference is Elite being upfront about what would be coming at launch and what was planned down the line which implied some level of self awareness about what could reasonably be accomplished given the timeframes involved.

Nice contrast. But, the ED video just shows why I no longer play it.
Because you want an arcade game rather than something that actually tries to behave like moving around in space? Because it demands a modicum of skill on the player's part rather than just being point-and-click? Because having to concentrate that long wears on the nerves and there are no natural pauses caused by CTDs?

Anyway, let's just clarify a couple of things:
Both games use newtonian physics and a rigid-body simulation.

The difference is that where Elite simply dampens down some force inputs and some end outcomes to stay within the realm of playability, SC alters the physics simulation dynamically to ensure that control inputs yield predetermined outcomes, thus circumventing the ugly business of having to deal with forces. One uses an actual underlying physics simulation engine to determine outcomes; the other uses outcomes to determine an appropriate physics simulation that can be fed to the engine.

Because you want an arcade game rather than something that actually tries to behave like moving around in space? Because it demands a modicum of skill on the player's part rather than just being point-and-click? Because having to concentrate that long wears on the nerves and there are no natural pauses caused by CTDs?

Anyway, let's just clarify a couple of things:
Both games use newtonian physics and a rigid-body simulation.

The difference is that where Elite simply dampens down some force inputs and some end outcomes to stay within the realm of playability, SC alters the physics simulation dynamically to ensure that control inputs yield predetermined outcomes, thus circumventing the ugly business of having to deal with forces. One uses an actual underlying physics simulation engine to determine outcomes; the other uses outcomes to determine an appropriate physics simulation that can be fed to the engine.

No because the terrain in Elite is boring to look at and Elites ships fly like airplanes in space. And I don’t want an airplane in space.

I prefer flying helicopters over airplanes (they are boring 90% of the time) unless you get an Utility category plane, as most of your time is spent monitoring instruments.

Also modern day quadcopters are pretty fun too.

A ship with thrusters everywhere will act significantly different than an airplane.

Oh and FA off with dual sticks is the only way to play Elite.

No because the terrain in Elite is boring to look at and Elites ships fly like airplanes in space.
Lolno.

And I don’t want an airplane in space.
You should try out Elite then. It does pretty much all the things you want, only better.
You might also want to try out some modern flight sim to get a feel for how airplanes fly (and why).

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Not really. There is a big difference between making you pay upfront for all that and state a 2014 release date, and be waiting for 5+ years delays and counting after that (all the while having the nerve to still be asking for more money upfront and at higher prices to boot after all stretch goals have been financed 5 times over) or... actually releasing a base game, telling you clearly that there is no etas or date guarantees for the additional content and that you will only pay for that when those additional things are released and added to the base game as future DLC.

Last edited:
No because the terrain in Elite is boring to look at and Elites ships fly like airplanes in space. And I don’t want an airplane in space.

Yes, terrain in Elite is falling behind, hopefully a planet rework is in the pipeline, but the rest of this is silliness. Elite's ships fly nothing like planes... at all, in any way.

A ship with thrusters everywhere will act significantly different than an airplane.

Yeah just like the ones in elite.. I have no clue how you to confuse Elite's flight model with one of an airplane unless you've never flown a plane ever or been on one or seen one in action.

Yeah just like the ones in elite.. I have no clue how you to confuse Elite's flight model with one of an airplane unless you've never flown a plane ever or been on one or seen one in action.

Because of the gimped yaw which forces players to roll and pitch instead. And somewhat the "blue zone" for optimal turn rates.

Not really. There is a big difference between making you pay upfront for all that and state a 2014 release date (and be waiting for 5+ years delays and counting after that (all the while having the nerve to still be asking for more money upfront and at higher prices to boot after all stretch goals have been financed 5 times over), or telling you clearly that there is no etas or date guarantees for that additional content and that you will only pay when those additional things are released and added to the base game as future DLC.

Say that to atmospheric planets, and carriers.

My main complaint with the flight model in SC is that the thruster input is purely digital and over zealous...where as in Elite, it's analogue and extremely controllable. Makes all the difference when flying with a HOTAS for me. SC was designed at source to be flown via M/KB, hence the old turrets in space feel about it...Elite, not so much.

If I had to pick the one I liked most...Elite wins hands down, purely for the analogue thruster control...but that's strictly a personal perspective, neither is better than the other and both get the job done.

I've tried to shift the thruster control in SC over to the 2 analogue thumbsticks I have on the X56...same as I have it in Elite but SC won't recognise the analogue input in the controls menu.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom