Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Here is a timestamp of Chris explaining it.

I guess you aren't following SC in the past few years?

If you were you would quickly realize that Chris explaining things does not seem to be much of a guarantee for anything.

Here one example among many others, these are the full time stamps of Chris and co explaining when SQ42 would arrive. 5+ years on past original eta, no release.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ue0lzVnys

I guess you aren't following SC in the past few years?

If you were you would quickly realize that Chris explaining things does not seem to be much of a guarantee for anything.

Here one example among many others, these are the full time stamps of Chris and co explaining when SQ42 would arrive. 5+ years on past original eta, no release.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ue0lzVnys

SQ42 has nothing to do with a seperate feature dev? Chris explained Network Bind Culling, Physicalized Containers for Ships, 64bit and OCS too. They all made it in the game...

Contrary to what people on the forum claimed; OCS never possible! Won't happen. They won't pull of procedural planets! No way. Even on a city planet dozens claimed nope here.

It's just time that is all. Some are patient others not. SC is progressing but slowly. Completely fine if it is too slow for you. There are so many other great games out there.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
His estimation game has been pretty bad for sure. No doubt about that.

Yeah, not only he can not be trusted in time estimation but also, more importantly, any content/features details. As starter he has already vaguely intimated he will most likely fail to deliver what has been promised in the fully funded (5+ times over) Kickstarter and Stretch Goals at the commercial release (24:20).

Source: https://youtu.be/vJoHlCc4Y7E?t=1460

Last edited:
It's interesting that it seems to consumers that way. The developers I talked to at GDC who were principal engineers on online games know the struggles of creating a system like this. Especially on a new engine like Lumberyard that is based on a limited multiplayer engine CryEngine. SpatialOS throws dozens of millions of dollars at the issue amounting more funding than a year of CI and yet can only pull of static meshing.

Lumberyard isn't new, it's been around for years and is literally a Cryengine branch rebranded for resale (It's technically a free dev kit and anyone can own it, I do). There's many reasons why it isn't used for mmo's and one of those reasons is that it is terrible for that purpose. SpatialOS, I've lost count of the number of projects making use of it that have been canned, so maybe throwing dozens of millions at it isn't really a good idea and they should probably do something better or more worthwhile with their skills.

CI`g are not at the bleeding edge of any tech, and never have been, despite them wanting folks to think so.

That there are people not freaking the heck out over this is depressing.

In any other context it'll be seen as insanity.

Thats the thing with SC, the price points are so wonky yet people dont bat an eyelid at them asking for many times the price of complete and released AAA games for one incomplete ship for pre alpha game with no functional gameplay to go with it.

It really is beyond belief.

That there are people not freaking the heck out over this is depressing.

In any other context it'll be seen as insanity.
The only reason anyone should realistically be freaking out about anything to do with SC is if I used their credit card instead of my own to buy stuff. ;)

Like most backers, I really don't require anyone to be offended on my behalf...

The only reason anyone should realistically be freaking out about anything to do with SC is if I used their credit card instead of my own to buy stuff. ;)

It's the casual expectation that people are going to throw another 300 bucks or so at an overdue video game.

I don't really care whether you and/or other backers are offended, but this strikes me as being utterly bonkers.

IDK, but the 3.8 PTU seems pretty fun.

It still has a ways to go before normies will enjoy it, but it's actually coming along nicely. If somewhat slowly.
That, I agree with. If I can get over the whole UI/UX - a total counter-intuitive counter-productive mess - and the horrendous travel times, 3.8 could be the next patch I'll give a try to.

The disposable income argument doesn't work for me. I like apples, sometimes I even get the pricey ones. If someone offers me an apple for £10 its clearly a rip off and may adversly effect the entire apple market.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom