Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I never thought I'd see the day where someone described people who dropped 1.5k to 3k dollareedoos on an unreleased game with "these aren't the whales though."

Truly these are the end times. I can only imagine the things I could do with an extra cool three grand layin' about in my bank.
$1.5k to $3k merely puts you in the small angry dolphin range ;)

Last edited:
How much to become an enraged Beluga?
That would be the $5k space marshal lot...just spent enough to wear the ridiculous gold armour in the PU :D

Concierge levels
  • $1k, High Admiral title.
  • $2.5k, Grand Admiral title.
  • $5k, Space Marshal/Lt. Commander title.
  • $10k, Wing Commander title.
  • $15k, Completionist title.
  • $25k, Legatus Navium (no title)

Last edited:
Yeah, where is Jimquisition on this? You would have thought he would have been having a good old rant about SC... unless he's a backer and not practicing what he preaches.
Jim Sterling stated a few times that he doesn't really play this type of games so he doesn't have enough info; and doesn't want to collect it pre-release. I mean, I kinda understand, shoveling your way through years of CI's lies is a Heraclean effort. People like Bootcha can confirm this, there's simply so much bull, you get lost in it, helping CI in the process (as nobody can remember it all).

Jim Sterling stated a few times that he doesn't really play this type of games so he doesn't have enough info; and doesn't want to collect it pre-release. I mean, I kinda understand, shoveling your way through years of CI's lies is a Heraclean effort. People like Bootcha can confirm this, there's simply so much bull, you get lost in it, helping CI in the process (as nobody can remember it all).

Thing is....if you wait till its "done" before you start digging into it you wont ever be able to unearth all the details and anecdotes that we lived through. Maybe Derek Smart will write a book? Or any of the other people who seem to have tons of data at their fingertips?

$1.5k to $3k merely puts you in the small angry dolphin range ;)
Mole is right. There is peasants, the fodder that makes up some population, the dolphins are mid-tier spenders. And then whales: That's the big ones. The big ones keep the other ones spending. They show off their stuff and other players want a slice of that glory.
It's like fashion.
Indeed there are dedicated events in Warframe called Fashion Frame...

Then again, for a prospective player documenting 'years of lies' is not that interesting. If I were looking for a space game and possibly interested in ED, I wouldnt care about Beyond delays, or how this or that ship was balanced differently than expected in 2015. I would want to know what objectively is in the game, right now. What can I do, what works, what is broken, how stable is it and so forth. Whether that is according to expectations of long-time players would be of zero importance to me.

Yeah, where is Jimquisition on this? You would have thought he would have been having a good old rant about SC... unless he's a backer and not practicing what he preaches.

Totalbiscuit was a backer and cut CIG slack with them being in alpha, but it's been a while since he died so no idea what he would say now. Not sure about Jim, though.

EDIT: Although that there are five-figure-USD level backers/whales does seem to be asking for a look.

Thing is....if you wait till its "done" before you start digging into it you wont ever be able to unearth all the details and anecdotes that we lived through. Maybe Derek Smart will write a book? Or any of the other people who seem to have tons of data at their fingertips?
Exactly what Ian says. For post-release documentary you need to analyze post-release P2W and balance issues and... that's about it for Jim Sterling. And you can't do that pre-release (they might fix it until release... hahaha, what is release anyway)

Mole is right. There is peasants, the fodder that makes up some population, the dolphins are mid-tier spenders. And then whales: That's the big ones. The big ones keep the other ones spending. They show off their stuff and other players want a slice of that glory.
It's like fashion.

There's also Fashion Souls, Fashion Secret World, really any game that has a decent amount of customization have a dedicated portion of the community in competition over who looks the best/worst/silliest etc..

Also, My Titania is fashion frame supreme but this is off topic.

There's also Fashion Souls, Fashion Secret World, really any game that has a decent amount of customization have a dedicated portion of the community in competition over who looks the best/worst/silliest etc..

Also, My Titania is fashion frame supreme but this is off topic.

I'm just a dolphin, but sometimes you just gotta spend. Like for that skin that removes the clunky frame around Saryn's hips and instead provides a wooshy skirt that finally reveals the full glory of Saryn's chassis.

It's like fashion.
Fashion...I'm young enough to remember fashion but too old to give a shyte :D

You're right enough though...A few of us on #concierge chat the other day were punting around that it was becoming increasingly offensive where the chat had degenerated into a constant display of fleetpix instead of discussion....Those guilty of the crime simply moved the posting of fleetpix to the general concierge forum section instead of the chat.

I dislike the practise with a vengeance...since there are some weak minded enough who genuinely aspire to be like the idiots who look on bandying jpegs of non existent spaceships around as a status symbol.

Fleetpix, mine as a matter of fact....for those unaware of what it is.

Gx18CGU.png

Last edited:
You mean the Company House filings where the numbers don'r add up sometimes?

I do ;)

But like I said, ballpark...

Sure none of these sources are in any way pristine, and the errors in the CH filings do cast a pall over the them:

Yon shrach mentions similar in the prior quoted post:

Starting to work through the accounts and seeing the most basic mistakes all over the place that are sometimes awkward to decypher so I decided to go with something easy that shouldn't need explanation. Employee numbers and salaries. I learned something about addition development. See if you can spot the copy/paste seam in these accounts. I've put a big red circle around it to save time.

iYUUacf.jpg

I think there are some interesting points of synthesis between these sources though, no matter how sketchy they are.

For example, the finances blog is doubtless spinning wildly when it bigs up their marketing growth throughout the text. But this bit...

Employee numbers increased again in 2018 but the growth has slowed compared to prior years, up only 57 in total on 2017 numbers. Also, much of this increase was in the marketing and publishing disciplines, with additional recruitment into general and admin, with development only increasing in the rest of the world. This reflects the consolidation and increasing maturity of Cloud Imperium’s operations with a growing marketing and publishing activity.

...does at least tally with the languishing 80+ roles on their job site, with the vast majority of them being dev roles. They haven't managed to expand their dev pool meaningfully recently, despite wanting to. It seems at heart, the CIG sources agree :D

But hey, if anyone here wants to answer the call...

Source: https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1184049677404114944

(Previous calls are available: We need to double the number of AI programmers (Dec 2018) [via GORF])

---

The point I'm trying to make is: I think we can still have a guess at the shape of things, if enough sketchy sources are overlaid...

1j1pyb.jpg

And resulting scenarios, while just guesswork, are still fun to bat at like a cat ;)

Judging purely from discussions with a general cross section, on average, backers usually spend between $150 to $450 on their SC package...that includes base packages and consequent upgrades.

From discussions on #concierge chat on Spectrum, the average concierge backer has a spend of $1500 to $3000 on their small fleets....these aren't the whales of course. I have friends both in real life and in game who are from the $10k to Legatus level...but those are the exception rather than the norm.

Most Concierge add 1 or 2 ships per year at around the $1500 mark...or a couple of smaller £200 to $500 additions. Some like me have spent all we're going to spend.

Cheers for this M!

(I think I'll carry on thinking about anyone who's $1k+ deep as a whale though ;). The super-whales just have a particularly gaudy captain's hat on in my mind :D)

Totalbiscuit was a backer and cut CIG slack with them being in alpha, but it's been a while since he died so no idea what he would say now.
This makes me think: defunct commandos' families could get good use of these so well spent (/s) dollars if they can get them back. Is there a refund policy regarding deceased?

Last edited:
The tracker is definitely... dubious...

Source: https://i.imgur.com/XKJ5amE.gifv

We just don't know in precisely which ways. (Are they including non-backer revenue, smoothing the numbers, just making it up entirely?)

I think there's enough in the Companies House filings to suggest that the overall ballpark could be correct though. Granted they're only for the UK + Germany branches, but we can extrapolate a bit from that.

I'll turn to the words of an SA accountant named shrach for a pro assessment:

It all fits broadly with the claims in their unaudited / semi-opaque financial blogs. They may actually be pulling in $35m+ pa from backers, and burning through it all maintaining the 500-ish overall staffing (400-ish devs) that they claim.

The Space Wales Weigh In:

Is it really so impossible that they have actually garnered $212 per account on average? That's the question.

Think of all of the little ship upgrades that backers often discuss. The extra $10 dollars here, $20 there, that brings them stability and ability in the PU. Think of how many years this has all been going on. The guys in this very thread who hit $1k Concierge without meaning to. The $5k Star Marshal that breezed through recently, reverberating with Sunk Cost. Then embrace the full absurdity...

Source: https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1001551327200194560

Is it possible? Yeah. It's possible ;)

There's some very good analysis in that post and the linked information.

I can't really comment on the financial side of the operation, not because I don't understand it but because I've mentioned several times on here that I work for HMRC which means I have to be very careful what I say about such matters.

What I will say is that so much of the talk about the funding looks at that huge headline figure of total cash raised to date and presents the game as financially stable. Anybody actually running a business though will know that you can play with the overall figures all you like, but as long as you employ staff who want paying and are carrying the overheads involved in running a high tech company with multiple sites in multiple countries, turnover and cashflow are at least as important as whatever your headline figures may be.

That's why the whales are so important and why there's a never-ending procession of imaginary ship sales, even though every new imaginary ship, theoretical gameplay loop and cocktail maker increase the technical debt. It's because without them, you're running a sausage machine that isn't getting any meat fed into it. Unless they decide to borrow against it, the potential income from sales of a full retail product won't keep the fires burning between today and whenever that product reaches its release date. Well, not unless their devs are willing to wait until then to get paid and their landlords and utility suppliers are willing to do the same.

Last edited:
I can't really comment on the financial side of the operation, not because I don't understand it but because I've mentioned several times on here that I work for HMRC which means I have to be very careful what I say about such matters.

You're wearing a mask, you can do this! :D

Cheers for the safe take anyway :) (I'm threshing around blindly re anything financial, so any pro tips always welcome ;))

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom