Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd rather they added some much needed gameplay to the content starved PU instead of wasting even more resources on this Battlefield clone rubbish...just because the Star Citizen abteilung of fervid Fortnite players may want it...but adding anything of substance to the PU is hardly likely since they've already managed to go 2 years without adding anything to their main source of income except utterly insipid tat 😐
It's pretty sad. It's just another iteration of what they did with Star Marine all the way back in 2016 when people were already getting a bit miffed with the lack of progress. So CIG decided to rearrange the sparse set of semi-functional components they had available into a "new" game mode in order to give the illusion of having achieved something in the previous couple of years (and to distract from the failure to deliver on Roberts' 3.0 promises at the time). And that was after they had to abandon Illfonic's genuinely original work thanks to yet another of Roberts' classic blunders.

The key point though is that they can build these superficial makeovers without having to make good on any of the outstanding tech bullet points required to advance the PU (or Squadron 42). The stuff they've been struggling with for years now.

One of these days they'll make a mobile dress up game out of the countless clothing assets, or a match 3 game out of ship jpegs. And the fans will applaud the incredible achievement.

Now that 3.9 is stable enough for me to play I decided to try bounty hunting players, at first this seems to be working as it should. Player is killed, player goes to prison...

However its become clear some players have figured out a method to avoid the new Crime and Punishment systems of 3.9, apparently logging out of the game is all you need to do to achieve this and seems to be a massive oversight on CIG's part. Attached are two fun videos showing the exploit in use.

Doing this is simple.
  • Eject or get out of your seat before your ship is blown up
  • Exit to main menu or Alt+F4
You just avoided prison and will wake up in Grim Hex when you next log in.

If your attacker destroys your ship after you have left due to it being almost dead or missiles where fired, the bounty hunter will incur a crimestat as a result.

I thought the client/server model was going to prevent combat logging and it was only that lesser game with it's amateur peer-to-peer system that enabled it.

So CIG decided to rearrange the sparse set of semi-functional components they had available into a "new" game mode in order to give the illusion of having achieved something in the previous couple of years (and to distract from the failure to deliver on Roberts' 3.0 promises at the time)

Rearrange code to look like they are doing something, rearrange patch schedules to look like they have a plan, rearrange assets to give the illusion of progress.

Refactor Citizen.

I thought the client/server model was going to prevent combat logging and it was only that lesser game with it's amateur peer-to-peer system that enabled it.

Hehe, well, it does allow the ships to remain behind... which apparently then results in the attacking bounty hunter getting a crimestat.

Thing is, the hybrid P2P setup ED has doesn't preclude ship persistence either. The main thing is you don't hand off the persistence of the logged ship to the attacker's client, way too open to abuse, but they do have servers, so "all" you need is server side service that can be spun up, like mini clients, that take over ships from logged off clients. It wouldn't need to do much, just maintain the ship's presence as a minimum for some determined amount of time. They could even give it a basic AI, like try and high wake to another system while under attack. If it manages that its considered saved.

Its not that client/server prevents combat logging or that P2P prevents persistence. Its all about how it is handled when it happens.

This is often ignored by the "dur hur client/server good, P2P bad" crowd.

I'd rather they added some much needed gameplay to the content starved PU instead of wasting even more resources on this Battlefield clone rubbish...just because the Star Citizen abteilung of fervid Fortnite players may want it...but adding anything of substance to the PU is hardly likely since they've already managed to go 2 years without adding anything to their main source of income except utterly insipid tat 😐
Current progress on the PU and SQ42 (both at a stand still..) means they have shifted their whole focus towards that idiotic, doomed-before-birth derivative product. It's not even a risky bet to predict the few players that try their luck on that ...thing.. will quit shortly after experiencing CiG oh so fantastic netcode, physics engine, player movement, and these hitboxes from hell...

Games on ultra settings look amazing I guess
It really falls flat on its face when you see it moving though. Even if we ignore the sub par performance, movement is so janky, this heavy armored guys rabbit jumping around like the Doom Guy, ships still moving like dragging assets (heard they are still working on something though ?) all with massive desync and rubber banding... that's a quick cold shower :)

The crazier it gets, the more I want this game.

Maybe have it a bug sandbox with ships?
They should keep these bugs. It would be quite fun to walk around and find surprises all over. Weird skeleton ship-person-gun thing popping up behind a door. People falling from the ceiling. NPCs dancing around doing all strange combat stances. Or like the early days with the ship that wouldn't land properly but were flipping around and such. It's the new entertainment right there.

They should keep these bugs. It would be quite fun to walk around and find surprises all over. Weird skeleton ship-person-gun thing popping up behind a door. People falling from the ceiling. NPCs dancing around doing all strange combat stances. Or like the early days with the ship that wouldn't land properly but were flipping around and such. It's the new entertainment right there.
It worked for Goat Simulator. Not sure who copied who though....

Is it just me...slighty jaded from playing Star Citizen...that thinks a space goat simulator looks really accomplished and fun?

I’ve played the original couch co-op with mates, on a ludicrous 4-way split-screen view, and it was pretty fun ay. We played it until it crashed my machine ;)

(Probably our fault for trying to play in the GTA parody and the fantasy MMO parody simultaneously ;))

E: Oh and yeah it’s accomplished, if your aim is to make the most self-aware-ly stupid, sarcastic sandbox you can think of. Mission successful ;)

I would totally play their version of SC :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom