Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Apparently falling down stairs in now a thing.

Looks like those who want to play medics now have something to do! (EDIT: And lawyers!)

Also, a defender of the faith uses this image to show SQ42 production only really began in 2014.

vyrku1pvze351.png

While interesting, he completely fails to note that CIG in 2014 said that SQ42 was almost complete, just needed a bit of polishing.

So, which is it CIG? Were you lying or were you lying?

Last edited:
Like it was the stairs fault and not caused by him sprinting and leaping like a rabbit everywhere...just try that in your own house if you have stairs. You'll end up doing the same :D

No sir, you are not correct. I have great control over my body and possess the strength and dexterity to reliably traverse the stairs in my house at any speed I chose. Whenever I dont additional substances (alcohol) or events (cat chosing the moment to run between legs) are to blame. In short....I always can get the stairs up or down....until I dont...but then its not my fault :D

No sir, you are not correct. I have great control over my body and possess the strength and dexterity to reliably traverse the stairs in my house at any speed I chose. Whenever I dont additional substances (alcohol) or events (cat chosing the moment to run between legs) are to blame. In short....I always can get the stairs up or down....until I dont...but then its not my fault :D
I remember trying to go down a flight of stone steps in my wheelchair quite a few years ago. I had a mate who did it regularly, he used to just fly around on his chair on the back wheels all the time like a proper cripple, I was just a timid newbie to doing stunts in the chair at that time. He said "Just do it like you're pushing a baby buggy...tip the chair back and just bump it down each step."..like it was a great idea for 2 wheelchair bound and apparently suicidal idiots to be going down a stone stairway in the first place.

Needless to say, I ended up a pile of wreckage at the bottom. I think I went past my mate halfway down the steps upside down...broke my arm and a couple of ribs :D

I always found it strange that folks always seem to feel sorry for you if you're in a chair...either that or you become completely invisible. It was the best fun I've ever had not standing up...if you know what I mean, you wouldn't believe the absolute mayhem I caused when I discovered wheelchair shopping trolleys in the supermarket ;)

Last edited:
Apparently falling down stairs in now a thing.

Looks like those who want to play medics now have something to do! (EDIT: And lawyers!)

Also, a defender of the faith uses this image to show SQ42 production only really began in 2014.

vyrku1pvze351.png

While interesting, he completely fails to note that CIG in 2014 said that SQ42 was almost complete, just needed a bit of polishing.

So, which is it CIG? Were you lying or were you lying?

See so RL lawyers like Leonard French have part in the game. The could sue the stair dev for killing your toon because of broken stairs. Everything is fine in Sc

Like it was the stairs fault and not caused by him sprinting and leaping like a rabbit everywhere...just try that in your own house if you have stairs. You'll end up doing the same :D

Indeed! This is CIG's answer to all those who break immurshun by running around everywhere! Now people will have to walk or face the consequences!

This truly has never been done before!

Well the guy who came here to sell SC proudly boasted of his "3-hrs adventure"! So three hours of uninterrupted play is considered so fantastic it is worth mentioning.

Only Fdev knows the exact number's, but it a pretty safe assumption that the number of player's world wide, are not subscriber's to this or any other forum. And some of those that are subscriber's admit to the fact they only play a couple of hours a couple of days a week, if and when they can. So, playing SC for three hours with out any issues, isn't any different than playing ED for three hours without any issues.

I've read numerous complaints of ED player's whom seem to have major issues do some of the most simple things in the game. And they generally start out stating that they've been a player for month's and or year's. Though it rarely asked, when it is, one finds out that though they have had the game installed for months and or years. There actually experience and number of hours are only in the extreme low hundreds if that much. On the other hand, new and experienced SC player's KNOW they are playing an ALPHA and understand regardless of how many hours or years they play, thus don't throw salt any where near as much as ED player's do.

I'd concur that SC just as ED is, isn't for everyone. The whole open world, sand box, genre isn't quite accepted yet by the majority of video game player's who have played games with end games to them,It takes a different mindset. Much in the same way, one who know's and accepts the fact that they are playing a game still in Alpha, which will have issues vs a game that has been gold for years and still presents issues.

Only Fdev knows the exact number's, but it a pretty safe assumption that the number of player's world wide, are not subscriber's to this or any other forum. And some of those that are subscriber's admit to the fact they only play a couple of hours a couple of days a week, if and when they can.
Funny thing: this is of exactly zero relevance to the topic of the thread: Star Citizen. If you want to discuss Elite, there's the entirety of the rest of the forums to do so.

I've read numerous complaints of ED player's whom seem to have major issues do some of the most simple things in the game. And
…none of that is in any way relevant to the topic of the thread.

The whole open world, sand box, genre isn't quite accepted yet by the majority of video game player's who have played games with end games to them,It takes a different mindset.
What absolute tosh. The open-world sandbox is pretty much the go-to standard if you want to make a generic computer game these days. Entire companies have been reduced to producing nothing but an endless stream of open-world sandboxes to the point where the market is so flooded with those games that, if anything, the majority of video game players shy away from them. Not because they require a different mindset but because those games are pandering to the standard mindset to a degree that players are beginning to find tiring — they'd love to see a different mindset being stimulated rather than the same old tired sandbox ideas we've had for ages now.

In the 90s, it was ill-conceived platformers; in the aughts, it was an hastily slapped-together FPS; for the last decade, the open-world sandbox was the genre for mass-produced shovelware. SC being an open-world sandbox is just one more indicator of how run-of-the-mill, bordering on obsolescent, its design concepts are.

Last edited:
So, playing SC for three hours with out any issues, isn't any different than playing ED for three hours without any issues.
SC backers are so used to the abuse from their game, they sound hilarious when trying to sell it. He was very proud to announce he was able to play for three hours straight.

I watch many Twitch streams. I've never seen a streamer or a person in chat promote a game by saying they managed to play for three hours.

It's a shame that "Alpha" can now be used to release software in exchange for full cash and all the usual perks a developer would normally have on "release" such as being able to sell assets and merchendise etc.

The consumer must accept "Alpha" with no understanding or confirmation that the title will ever move into "Beta" or "Release" and what form that might take with no timelines given as the consumer "does not understand game development" but they do understand that "Alpha" means no critique.

The consumer must accept lack of decent servers in their region, lack of support, lack of quality assurance, lack of standards the industry would normally adhear to (including those governed by various bodies that exist to protect consumers)

The consumer may not read reviews from the established press other than ones that qualify the titles "Alpha" status but may not be deemed a "review"

The developer does not have to give refunds as Sandi Gardiner herself once said, "who goes to Disney land, goes on the rides and asks for their money back?" indeed we can surely expect Disneyland Alpha to be the next big attraction; you pay full price, you go in, there's no safety standards and not much to do but "it's alpha", if you survive you get kicked out for criticizing and not understanding theme park development.

Pretty sweet deal for developers you release games in whatever state and the consumer takes all the risk, why wouldn't the entire industry do this?

Last edited:
Funny thing: this is of exactly zero relevance to the topic of the thread: Star Citizen. If you want to discuss Elite, there's the entirety of the rest of the forums to do so.

…none of that is in any way relevant to the topic of the thread.

What absolute tosh. The open-world sandbox is pretty much the go-to standard if you want to make a generic computer game these days. Entire companies have been reduced to producing nothing but an endless stream of open-world sandboxes to the point where the market is so flooded with those games that, if anything, the majority of video game players shy away from them. Not because they require a different mindset but because those games are pandering to the standard mindset to a degree that players are beginning to find tiring — they'd love to see a different mindset being stimulated rather than the same old tired sandbox ideas we've had for ages now.

In the 90s, it was ill-conceived platformers; in the aughts, it was an hastily slapped-together FPS; for the last decade, the open-world sandbox was the genre for mass-produced shovelware. SC being an open-world sandbox is just one more indicator of how run-of-the-mill, bordering on obsolescent, its design concepts are.
AS you stated, "THESE DAYS".

Only Fdev knows the exact number's, but it a pretty safe assumption that the number of player's world wide, are not subscriber's to this or any other forum. And some of those that are subscriber's admit to the fact they only play a couple of hours a couple of days a week, if and when they can. So, playing SC for three hours with out any issues, isn't any different than playing ED for three hours without any issues.

I've read numerous complaints of ED player's whom seem to have major issues do some of the most simple things in the game. And they generally start out stating that they've been a player for month's and or year's. Though it rarely asked, when it is, one finds out that though they have had the game installed for months and or years. There actually experience and number of hours are only in the extreme low hundreds if that much. On the other hand, new and experienced SC player's KNOW they are playing an ALPHA and understand regardless of how many hours or years they play, thus don't throw salt any where near as much as ED player's do.

I'd concur that SC just as ED is, isn't for everyone. The whole open world, sand box, genre isn't quite accepted yet by the majority of video game player's who have played games with end games to them,It takes a different mindset. Much in the same way, one who know's and accepts the fact that they are playing a game still in Alpha, which will have issues vs a game that has been gold for years and still presents issues.

lol

It's a shame that "Alpha" can now be used to release software in exchange for full cash and all the usual perks a developer would normally have on "release" such as being able to sell assets and merchendise etc.

The consumer must accept "Alpha" with no understanding or confirmation that the title will ever move into "Beta" or "Release" and what form that might take with no timelines given as the consumer "does not understand game development" but they do understand that "Alpha" means no critique.

The consumer must accept lack of decent servers in their region, lack of support, lack of quality assurance, lack of standards the industry would normally adhear to (including those governed by various bodies that exist to protect consumers)

The consumer may not read reviews from the established press other than ones that qualify the titles "Alpha" status but may not be deemed a "review"

Pretty sweet deal for developers you release games in whatever state and the consumer takes all the risk, why wouldn't the entire industry do this?
Why would or did any one invest in ED prior to its becoming gold. There are those that invested a considerable amount, and had to wait a few years in the process. Reckon it boils down to one interpretation of definition of someone referred to as a Kick Starter, or someone being referred to as a Pledger; In both cases, one is taking a chance.

Why would or did any one invest in ED prior to its becoming gold. There are those that invested a considerable amount, and had to wait a few years in the process. Reckon it boils down to one interpretation of definition of someone referred to as a Kick Starter, or someone being referred to as a Pledger; In both cases, one is taking a chance.
Kickstarters ended years ago. Both games made more money selling either finished product or unfinished early access. The minority of owners donated their money via crowd-funding.

Oh I don't disagree and in fact I "invested" in ED at Alpha and had a blast & ended up with some perks - but that doesn't mean it's a good practice. I'm glad that Planet Coaster was the last title they "crowd funded" in this way.

I would say that at least Frontier had a plan for Alpha that lasted only a few months with frequent updates, you had access to a private forum and discussed stuff directly with the developer. It felt to me like we were in on a process with weekly "sneak peek" images that would be in the next update. It was actually an impressive rate of development that they have not since matched. There's a head-look mode option that was a direct response to something I asked them to do for my paticular use of a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. Yes, it has all of the problems of the above comment I made, but it's Alpha done right in that it had a timeline and a "Beta" was communicated along with a release date window they tried to meet.

At the time it seemed innocent enough, other developers have stretched out "Alpha" (DayZ comes to mind) to the point of annoying their fan base ...but CIG have taken this trust to ludicrous obscene levels and are basically existing entirely on the back of it (Alpha IS the product) with no plan to get out of it. If a title is going to take a substantial portion of a human life to create, I'd say it isn't suitable for crowdfunding and we will doubtlessly see the affect that has on people as time goes on and the realisation that it just isn't the perfect video game is made.

Last edited:
Kickstarters ended years ago. Both games made more money selling either finished product or unfinished early access. The minority of owners donated their money via crowd-funding.
Now one has to define their interpretation or definition of what is "Early Access". Investing in a dream can be considered Early Access, waiting until it's in Alpha can be considered Early Access etc etc etc. Regardless of how one interprets or one's own definition is, one takes a chance. There are those that became pledger's in SC and gave up, there are those that have bought ED, and no longer play. In both case's one made an investment, and eventually lost it.

AS you stated, "THESE DAYS".
…in other words, what you said that “genre isn't quite accepted yet” was absolute tosh. It hasn't been true for over a decade.
I'm glad you agree, but that just raises another question: why did you write it?

In both case's one made an investment, and eventually lost it.
No. In one case, they made a very ill-conceived and poorly gamble on a guy who has a long history of not delivering on his promises and who hadn't been in the business for 15 years (now closer to a quarter of a century, an aeon in software terms either way). In the other case, people bought an existing product. Neither is an investment. Only one party didn't get what they paid for. The two are nothing alike. Any suggestion otherwise is just more tosh, hopefully borne out of simple ignorance rather than a deliberate and rather contemptible attempt to obfuscate and deceive.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom