Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
...Oh oh is it too late for the "this is what I started on" comments? Anyway VC20 with a tapedrive....oh yeah baby ^^

It's never too late or early for such chatter. And you've reminded me how I got in to programming.

When I had saved enough additional coinage I purchased a 5.25" floppy disc drive for my Beeb. Porting/copying my tape loading games onto the discs I decided that I needed a nice 'gui' to select any game on the disc. Many hours of BASIC programming later and the job was done. And I was hooked.

Next off I thought to use recursion to play with a form of machine learning.... yeah I know.... but I was young and nothing was impossible......

Sorry for going entirely off piste.

Ahhh - the heady days of a +3 and a Multiface!

It was always much fun to look through RAM and find all the naughty messages the developers had left for publishers :D

Which reminds me - I really ought to parse the latest .P4K for any SC lulz!

NEWSFLASH: It looks like Mark Hamill was actually correct! :eek:

Source: https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/1186077390612512768

Source: https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1186488535479513089

The Squadron 42 single-player story campaign and Arena Commander gamemode are getting fully released this October! 🥳
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eRkhR1z6A

Compete in intense 5v5 dogfights, unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles, and take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars™: Squadrons in virtual reality (VR) on PlayStation®4 and PC with cross-play support.

The Squadron 42 single-player story campaign and Arena Commander gamemode are getting fully released this October! 🥳

Compete in intense 5v5 dogfights, unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles, and take off in a thrilling Star Wars™ single-player story. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars™: Squadrons in virtual reality (VR) on PlayStation®4 and PC with cross-play support.

Tease. This level of disbelief should be reportable offense in this thread.

Ever since Chris Roberts saw that trailer as a "wide eyed eight year old" he's wanted to make that game

At least it wasn't a Rick-roller vid :rolleyes:

I can tell you what I liked back in the day about SC. Sure there were the good looking planets and moons, but it represented something that is vaguely (and I mean very very vaguely) felt like what CR described and we imagined. It didn't matter that both big patches were disaster in a lot of ways. After flying around in AC 2.0 and 3.0 was a big deal in SC's little bubble, but after that the magic slowly disappeared for me. Others mileage my vary, this is just my short thought about this. Invictus Launch Week's meltdown was just the icing on the cake

This whole paragraph is about your tastes and preferences, not about "quick money". If scanners and fuel and wear and tear systems were done, you might be content, but there would be hundreds of other players out there shouting "what about mining" and "we want a bigger platform for our plans".
That's exactly what it is. For a game to survive it has to be profitable so they cater to a lower common denominator. Every feature implemented is a rudimentary dopamine loop for the simple minded. Trading has no depth, for example. There's no loading cargo, hiring people to help you load the cargo, balancing the load so you can fly properly, no refrigerated or padded holds. No complexity to it at all. Buy low, magically beam it to your ship, A-B, sell-high, magically beam it from your ship.
Bounty hunting? Why bother with a scanner? What good is a KWS if you're bounty hunting? Why would you need that?
Piracy? With your permission, of course.
At least exploration makes use of the stellar forge but is also neglected with demi-posterior mechanics.
All these were implemented as placeholders to be expanded upon but they weren't trendy enough so they were left on token life support in favor of new features that have no substance to them. Just another carrot to dangle.

Also no idea why fuel should be a concern - isn't it already? There's a reason Fuel Rats save lots of players constantly.
Really? You make 8mil hauling 1.5mil worth of platinum and the overhead costs in fuel and maintenence come to about 3K. Does this seem well thought out to you? Fuel is only a concern when you're out, it should be a consideration for your profit margins. It should be consumed under normal operations (significantly), not just for jumps. Another abandoned challenge.

You sure you don't mistake Elite with Warframe?
I have no idea what warframe is. Sounds like a mech game.

Also one management pointer for you - in game development, if you can get N money in a year or 3N money in two years, you'll almost always go for the former, unless you are big studio (think Obsidian, Bethesda, EA) that can carry the costs. This is for two reasons:
  • small studios still have to pay developers constantly; if you have to pay for two years before release, it means you're more likely to hit some problem (not even necessarily caused by you, see Covid issues) and go bankrupt.
  • game development is really competitive and fast-evolving. One vs two years aren't much of a difference, but if you go for 100N in 10 years, you'll probably find out after 5 or 8 years that the whole thing is now profitable with 10N at best and you wasted your money.
Preaching to the choir. Vision doesn't withstand the boardroom or the shareholders. You make a lot more money selling cheap soda than fine wine. You want to make fine wine, you need a soda factory first to support it. That vineyard is a passion project of one or two members and the board isn't behind them. So it's a small vineyard and the guys next door have already been at it for years and make better wine so you give up and grow vegetables. That's my whole point. You can't win against the masses, all you can do is give them the finger and go live on a mountain if you're that tired of being patted on the head. Start your own company to make the space game you want? Nope. Soon as its profitable they'll kick you upstairs and make a skinner box.

New Forbes story on Star Citizen

TBH the $300M for 2M backers averages out to $110 per backer. Gamers who play live service MMOs with annual updates the likes of ESO, CoD, AC Odyssey, Fallout 76, etc etc average 2X - 3X+ that on annual DLC updates. The most devout of the ESO fan base thinks nothing about dropping $60+ for the new DLC Chapters that come out for ESO every year. That's on top of the ESO Plus subscription costs. And don't get me started on F76. So that $110/backer is dirt cheap in comparison.

Also assuming the $27K+ package whales number 100 or so, that figure isn't that much of a shocker. Especially if the majority of backers only spent $50-$60 buy in and waiting to get SQ42 or a finished PU. Or perhaps are playing regularly so upgraded to one or two $300-$500 ship(s) with better shields/weapons etc.

Trading has no depth, for example. There's no loading cargo, hiring people to help you load the cargo, balancing the load so you can fly properly, no refrigerated or padded holds. No complexity to it at all. Buy low, magically beam it to your ship, A-B, sell-high, magically beam it from your ship.

But manually loading crates or watching warehouse workers load crates is not depth. Nearly everything you listed is just time sinks. And Star Citizen is definitely going to have 'magically beamed cargo' to and from your ships.

Bounty hunting? Why bother with a scanner? What good is a KWS if you're bounty hunting? Why would you need that?

Because your normal scan only picks up the bounty of the current system. The KWS will detect bounties the ship has accumulated elsewhere.

Trading has no depth, for example. There's no loading cargo, hiring people to help you load the cargo, balancing the load so you can fly properly, no refrigerated or padded holds. No complexity to it at all. Buy low, magically beam it to your ship, A-B, sell-high, magically beam it from your ship.

Hold up. You would prefer all that? That's the sort of stuff that CIG talk about doing, but never actually did it, but also got a lot of stick from skeptics because its the sort of gameplay that sounds awesome but in reality would be horrible (at least, for those who just want get on with doing stuff).

TBH the $300M for 2M backers averages out to $110 per backer. Gamers who play live service MMOs with annual updates the likes of ESO, CoD, AC Odyssey, Fallout 76, etc etc average 2X - 3X+ that on annual DLC updates. The most devout of the ESO fan base thinks nothing about dropping $60+ for the new DLC Chapters that come out for ESO every year. That's on top of the ESO Plus subscription costs. And don't get me started on F76. So that $110/backer is dirt cheap in comparison.

Also assuming the $27K+ package whales number 100 or so, that figure isn't that much of a shocker. Especially if the majority of backers only spent $50-$60 buy in and waiting to get SQ42 or a finished PU. Or perhaps are playing regularly so upgraded to one or two $300-$500 ship(s) with better shields/weapons etc.
There aren't 2 million backers.
Yes. Multiple gaming media writers also make the mistake of assuming the Citizens-counter is equivalent to number of backers, when it's actually around half.

The number disparity has come up twice now:

12th July 2016:
English translation: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4sifhi/interview_with_turbulent_and_some_backers_figures/
Of the one million user accounts that includes the Roberts Space Industries platform, 500,000 fans have already pre-purchased content in the game, which is actively involved in its funding.​
Turbulent say half of the accounts are backers.

1st May 2019:
Most of the people here helped to pay for the game’s development—on average, $200 each, although some backers have given thousands.​
Of this haul, $242 million has been contributed by about 1.1 million fans, who have either bought digital toys like the Kraken or given cash online.​

The Citizen-count just prior to the Forbes article's publication was 2.28 million.

As the Citizen-count currently stands at 2,712,167, the number of backers will be around 1.35 million.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom