Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This is correct, I do not spend much time there. I probably should give the "ask the developers" thread on spectrum more attention.

Why? All they ever do is say "Yes" to everything anyone asks. Or yes with a if, or a no with a maybe.

That's how we ended up with SC the way it is.

The fact you can just leave your seat open the doors and EVA out of it AND for example enter another structure (not only another ship) is unique
cough..... Subnautica.... cough
sure subnautica is set under water but the game mechanic is EXACTLY what you describe.

get out of your vehicle... move around freely in a 3d space with 6DOF and move into another vehicle or structure seamlessly.
(once you have the BIG submarine you can also walk around freely in there and transition from inside the vehicle to outside seamlessly exactly like you do in SC)

you can build those structures yourself to your own design, move freely around them on foot. jump through the bottom of your moonpool into that same 3d environment.

take away the fog and water ripple effects and it is exactly the same as a space game (well its not exactly the same it actually works 100% of the time in SN)

there are also islands where you walk around on foot and the transition from water to land is also seamless.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say to you besides that it does. There'll always be some amount of inaccuracy in FP calculations, obviously, but unless you can show a clear example of why it wouldn't, this is pretty basic stuff.
ETA: Bear in mind that converting int->double and back may be very different from float->double and back
What is responsible for the calculations? The server I assume... Then add the latency to the mix and you get a pretty basic stuff becoming a pretty messy fluff :D

Last edited:
In my experience, getting physics calculations stable, so that nothing glitches, is pretty cumbersome, especially in a real time simulation where the sizes of the objects and their velocities have a huge range. For a starting point you might use the estimation that for the simulation to be stable the duration of a timestep should be smaller than the ratio between the spatial resolution and the maximum velocity in the simulation (delta t < Resolution / maximum velocity), i.e. a high ratio between resolution and maximum velocity causes the maximum stepsize for the simulation still being stable to become very small. But too small timesteps also are not an option since the hardware is not fast enough for SC still being real time. I'm pretty sure that the physics in SC are suffering because of this.

Last edited:
cough..... Subnautica.... cough
sure subnautica is set under water but the game mechanic is EXACTLY what you describe.

get out of your vehicle... move around freely in a 3d space with 6DOF and move into another vehicle or structure seamlessly.
Subnautica? Pff. What's this newfangled nonsense.
Strictly speaking, you could do that in Battlefield 1942.

…and Minecraft.

The fact you can just leave your seat open the doors and EVA out of it AND for example enter another structure (not only another ship) is unique, point. As long as another game don`t let me do this, it´s not the same like in SC.
It isn't unique. Space Engineers, Dual Universe, Hellion (RIP development), Avorion, and Empyrion Galactic Survival, all provide that. Probably other games that I'm forgetting too.

It isn't unique. Space Engineers, Dual Universe, Hellion (RIP development), Avorion, and Empyrion Galactic Survival, all provide that. Probably other games that I'm forgetting too.

If we are not limiting ourselves to space games, then you can add plenty more where you can enter and exit vehicles.

The fact you can just leave your seat open the doors and EVA out of it AND for example enter another structure (not only another ship) is unique, point
Not really. Of the top of my head:
  • Subnautica (alien ocean only, granted, but same concept)
  • Space Engineers
  • Helion
  • Rogue System
  • that Russian game whose name eludes me
I’m sure there’s others as well.

Subnautica? Pff. What's this newfangled nonsense.
Strictly speaking, you could do that in Battlefield 1942.

…and Minecraft.
yeah but i had to pick something that resembled floating in zero G , subnautica is almost identical to EVA in star citizen bar the setting.

even KSP would also fit the bill (but EVA in ksp is FAR too realistic to compare it to SC)

Last edited:
True enough. I just wanted to list something that was almost out the last time CRobber was in the business, so if had any clue about gaming he'd actually known about it before he got tossed out on his rear and have even less reason to keep up the knucklehead ignorant “never done before” spiel. :D

…granted, it actually came out a couple of years after his incompetence caught up with him, so maybe he actually doesn't know, but meh.

Ok now somebody explain this...

SaneOddballArgentinehornedfrog-max-14mb.gif

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom