Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I neither require nor expect you condone anything at all concerning my personal expenditure...as for others who may decide to frivilously spend on the project, I cannot be possibly held to account for their actions or for their lack of research into the project before committing. As a fairly resonsible adult, in game chat playing Star Citizen I do more than my share of making likely candidates for such irresponsible behaviour more than aware of Ci¬G's predatory marketing and indefensible business practices...as I also state quite plainly on this forum.

If you'd like to continue to preach at someone, I'd suggest buying a megaphone and dragging a wooden soapbox to a local park, I'm sure some random people may stop to offer encouraging noises.

With that ill tempered exchange out of the way, I'm off to have some dinner.

How dare you spend your money on what you want! HA, that slays me.

As for SC, the more I think about my mining experience, the more I realize I enjoy it.

But, I’m still torn on Razor or Prospector. As I think the Razors are a blast to fly!

Oh and my toon of what to buy is simple, but the ship you want with as much insurance as you can afford and rent all the rest in game!!!!

I’m also loving the design of the C2’s/M2/A2!

As much as I can't stand Star Citizen and it's marketing and the like... I mean we can't police everyone and slap their hands away from their mice as they choose to throw money into the project.

CIG try their best to control the narrative around the game and it's development but you can't pretend like people can't be held accountable for not googling it themselves and figuring out that maybe throwing a cool $300 they need for rent at a JPG of a ship is a bad idea. This applies even if it wasn't SC but a fully functioning game or hobby! I have fun with photography but I Still shouldn't buy a $4000 Canon 1D if I need that money to pay my electric.

Scummy as it may be, they are making a product and that product does exist in a playable(ish) state. A grown adult has full responsibility of his money barring some edge cases.

No doubt about it.

People should absolutely research the project prior to purchase. Theres enough information on the net providing a pretty conclusive picture if you are willing to put in the effort. And if you are thinking about more then just the basic package a little more effort on your part is mandatory IMO. Most people dont dump thousands in one go either. Its usually folks who start with a small amount then add more over time meaning they cant really complain about having been "cheated".

Fact is of course that CIG received a lot of money in good faith and for features and assets that hasnt made it into the game yet. Worse, the dream from years ago has drastically changed and very possibly isnt anymore what people bought into back then. Those people are pretty much out of luck because refunds are not an option anymore. They might feel abused or cheated yet they are denied a voice because they dont simply walk away and remain silent as was suggested even here on this thread.

Now projects in active development do change. Thats not unheard of but usually they at least try to stay what they promised. Thats not what happens in SC tho. Star Citizens scope or dream didnt really change out of necessity. it was artificially altered for reasons only Chris Roberts knows. We all know that what he said on that community poll was a big lie (more content with faster progress, no additional delays). The idea what Star Citizen "should be" was pretty clear in 2012....you had wiggle room in your interpretation but not so much. Fast forward a few years and SC has changed so drastically that nobody in 2012 would ve had any idea. Backers were promised respect and transparency. But thats not the case. They are reduced to observers looking in from outside, impotent and helpless, for the most part ignored. It was a kickstarter game so people should ve realized their investment was a high-risk one. But still, if development doesnt go as expected, even tho your money is gone and you wont get it back and you are not happy with the course. That doesnt mean you have to take it, shut your piece and walk away. You have every right to voice your concern, your frustration and disappointment.

Why would you deny those people an opinion?

It wont change anything but as all we do is talking anyway I dont see the harm apart from saving new people from getting into this mess or at least warning potential new players about what they are getting into. Which shouldnt be a problem again.

Generally saying "you should ve googled it" is too simple a statement. Development is too long and the involving factors too complex by now to reduce the solution to a simple "google search". Usually you would leave the "heavy lifting" in reviews to game magazines and online gamesites who share their impression or verdict but as we all know, that isnt possible yet because of SCs "alpha" status and most sites are really careful with what they report because of the angry tox-mob waiting for an opportunity to pounce.

What Star Citizen and CIG has absolutely managed in those 7 years is to grow a resistence that is pushing back against all the hype and marketing and many certainly have a personal "grudge" with the more fanatical elements of the pro-crowd. Word-of-mouth is pretty essential for Star Citizen, I dont think they even have the financial means to raise a marketing campaign but even if they did, without a product that can stand up to expectations and promises made it wont go far.

Some people like SC as it is. Others dont. Most uninvested people possibly reserve judgement until it gets out. Public reviews are either non-existent or heavily fought over. All the discussions and threads about it wont change or affect development. We all are just spectators going through SCs twitches.

Pressure is completely on CIG and its supporters tho and it shows sepcifically in the sensetivity to criticism and bad press. They are at risk to lose everything and ending up with nothing. And without big changes in SCs progress rate development will require a lot longer until release. Or it gets released in a very diminished state which wont help it with new blood buying in of course or the reputation for "BDSSE". And we all know that development isnt cheap, especially not with such a workforce. CIGs refusal to die also isnt important or a "victory" because if they manage to stay afloat the bare minimum wont ensure fulfillment of expectations. And SC needs to change and improve to stay even with competing games coming out. We already observe how scope and feature list gets bigger and bigger putting more and more strain on SCs skeleton simply because new games releasing offer more complexity or better visuals. It looks like CIG doesnt even try to get Star Citizen done anymore, they are buys trying to stay current at best and while demo.videos specifically scripted and produced for hype events manage to do the trick I m VERY curious to see if what we ve seen ever makes it into the PU and if CIG will manage to deliver everything in its backlog.

I dont have any beef with people enjoying Star Citizen or who remain hopeful but we know those are the minority. People who openly state stuff like "SC is already better then many released AAA games" or similar nonsense tho have to face opposition and it doesnt help that whenever I do follow up with questions or knowledge of my own come under personal attack simply for not falling to my knees or get responses with laughable information. Its always the over-the-top comments or attacks either against people or other games that invites and triggers the outright wars we can observe.

I usually refuse to put the fault at the victims feet but in Star Citizens case there really is enough information and enough warning out there by now to prevent new people from complaininig in case they dont get what they expected. That only counts for newcomers tho. Backers from years ago have every right to be miffed or complain. They wont change anything anyway.

There is of course a difference between spending money on products you receive in return and throwing money at something you dont know you ll ever get. One is a transaction, the other is an investment. So buying games and supporting CIG financially already isnt the same even tho that poster tries to paint it that way.

He also appears outraged about others telling him what to do. Is that really happening? Cuz I dont see it.

His investment history is of no interest to me. How long he does this....again....not important. He isnt any more "qualified" by doing this for years. Why he even bothered to share this eludes me. It wont shut people up. People who expressed bewilderment about spending these amounts in SC will continue to be confused. The only important part is in the last 2 lines.

"i m having fun spending money" and thats pretty much it. The rest of his post is a justification attempt. It also speaks volumes about his ability to realistically judge and evaluate Star Citizen.

I suppose that's the new narrative preparing for "CiG stop operations and abandon the game" so they can say they do not care at all in the end...

(edit) my own backing of this project was expendable money, still i do care about how it's spent as i'm not a complete lunatic...

Yep I noticed that too. As if they realize its a matter of losing the battle. All those years of coming out proudly bashing other games and announcing SCs superiority in all things. The most desperate still cling to those claims but its pityful by now. Everybody else adjusts his expectations and stance more and more and this latest push to "I m completely okay with SC failing, they tried and dont care about the money" is just a precaution to avoid ribbing and flaming which "might" come sooner then we all think.

How dare you spend your money on what you want! HA, that slays me.

As for SC, the more I think about my mining experience, the more I realize I enjoy it.

But, I’m still torn on Razor or Prospector. As I think the Razors are a blast to fly!

Oh and my toon of what to buy is simple, but the ship you want with as much insurance as you can afford and rent all the rest in game!!!!

I’m also loving the design of the C2’s/M2/A2!
Probably the most expensive one is the best choice,i believe that's how it works (y)

...You have every right to voice your concern, your frustration and disappointment.

Why would you deny those people an opinion?

Generally saying "you should ve googled it" is too simple a statement...

Of course, but that post was in response to a very specific thing:

The bigger picture is not everyone can necessarily afford what they're putting into it.
And some have no knowledge of the chance of this project being a complete failure.

Neither of these issues are inherently SC fault. They may encourage the latter, but they cannot control the former. All I am saying is we can't hold CIG responsible if a backer has the financial judgement skills of a mentally disabled sea slug and spend their grocery funds on ship JPGs.

You say that backers from years ago have every right to be miffed or complain, that's entirely correct. That's also entirely me.

Neither of these issues are inherently SC fault. They may encourage the latter, but they cannot control the former. All I am saying is we can't hold CIG responsible if a backer has the financial judgement skills of a mentally disabled sea slug and spend their grocery funds on ship JPGs.

You say that backers from years ago have every right to be miffed or complain, that's entirely correct. That's also entirely me.
Its immoral and throws all goodwill out the window because money.

That’s an interesting Reddit response, and explains why I don’t have a reddit account. :)

As I stated above, I’ve changed my thoughts on how to spend money here and how to win the game for about $100.
Probably the most expensive one is the best choice,i believe that's how it works (y)

I can honestly say on top of buying my 600I for $475, I don’t see the need to put more money into the project. My mistake was that I bought two game packages, not realizing that the Arrow I bought last year included the game too. Thus, I had two games packages, the original game package was upgraded to a Titan, and I bought the Graycat and a Hangar thinking it was needed. In the End, I have $155 sitting in a Prospector that I really don’t need to own.

Buying the Cutlass Black is like buying the Python right from the beginning, it costs $100 to do so.... Which is actually less than what I paid for ED and Horizons back in the day.

Buying my 600i is like buying the Cutter, minus the massive cargo, it costs $475 to do so. I will never sell this ship, just like I never sold the Cutter. But, with the 600i, I will not be rich overnight, as if I bought a large cargo vessel. But, I can do almost everything except ship mining and racing with the 600i.

On another topic, I used GameGlass more. On top of my dual 16000 joysticks, I think GG is value added, as it was cool having certain things on touch screen versus having to use the keyboard or joysticks. I don’t think its worth buying, but, I don’t know what else it can do.

How I used GameGlass:
Social - Character Emotions, and Photos, they are so easy to do now.
Flight - I liked having the push button for my QD, Landing gear, gimbal lock, etc.
Mining - easy to switch between fracture and extraction

I did not try ground or combat.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
As CIG hasn't released a game yet and all 'pledged' money for ships etc 'goes straight in to development', what did they buy 25% of Turbulent with?

Thinking....
Hmm.
Ohhhhhhhhhh...
giphy.gif

Cloud Imperium Games and Turbulent announced they have extended their partnership through mutual investment

With the added advantage that they can make their finances even more opaque...
As CIG hasn't released a game yet and all 'pledged' money for ships etc 'goes straight in to development', what did they buy 25% of Turbulent with?

CIG and Turbulent have 'invested' in each other by swapping shares. An 'investment' that brings no new money in at all, but looks good in a press release as long as you don't actually think about it too much.

…that said, that's more backer money being diluted. They gave cash to CI¬G to build a company, and CI¬G then turned around and gave away 10% of that value to Calder. In exchange for money, sure, but that's still something the backers paid for that is being given away to a third party. Now they've done it again. It's almost as if Chris has a quarter-century long history of being extremely careless with other people's money. :D

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Couple options there:

CIG could have been owing payments to Turbulent. We do not know how much CIG has paid for the Turbulent shares (possibly more than the theoretical value of the CIG shares acquired by Turbulent) so this could be a way to satisfy them. Cash and CIG shares in exchange for Turbulent shares.

Also CIG is possibly one of Turbulent largest clients. If their revenue share is around 25% then by acquiring a similar % of Turbulent CIG would be de facto “internalising” that expense.

Or both. Either way it would seem the two Turbulent shareholders/owners may be a bit more well off now.

Last edited:
I want to say this is payment for services which will be shuffled between CI's studios. Then there's the part of my brain that wants this to be preparations for an exit plan. A golden parachute of sorts, so CR can leave and the project can make actual headway.

But it's all speculation until the financial report is released next year.

That’s an interesting Reddit response, and explains why I don’t have a reddit account. :)

As I stated above, I’ve changed my thoughts on how to spend money here and how to win the game for about $100.

I can honestly say on top of buying my 600I for $475, I don’t see the need to put more money into the project. My mistake was that I bought two game packages, not realizing that the Arrow I bought last year included the game too. Thus, I had two games packages, the original game package was upgraded to a Titan, and I bought the Graycat and a Hangar thinking it was needed. In the End, I have $155 sitting in a Prospector that I really don’t need to own.

Buying the Cutlass Black is like buying the Python right from the beginning, it costs $100 to do so.... Which is actually less than what I paid for ED and Horizons back in the day.

Buying my 600i is like buying the Cutter, minus the massive cargo, it costs $475 to do so. I will never sell this ship, just like I never sold the Cutter. But, with the 600i, I will not be rich overnight, as if I bought a large cargo vessel. But, I can do almost everything except ship mining and racing with the 600i.

On another topic, I used GameGlass more. I like it, as it was cool to have certain things on touch screen versus having to use the keyboard. I don’t think its worth buying, but, I don’t know what else it can do.

How I used GameGlass:
Social - Character Emotions, and Photos, they are so easy to do now.
Flight - I liked having the push button for my QD, Landing gear, gimbal lock, etc.
Mining - easy to switch between fracture and extraction

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom