Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

That sounds a good bet. Olisar was never meant to be there anyway... plus it’s way too convenient ;)
Dunno, Crusader needs its orbital station anyway like all other planets in Stanton - Orison will be a "surface city" (well, technically, floating city) like Lorville, New Babbage or A18. Getting in and out of atmo would be annoying for some heavier ships...

Dunno, Crusader needs its orbital station anyway like all other planets in Stanton - Orison will be a "surface city" (well, technically, floating city) like Lorville, New Babbage or A18. Getting in and out of atmo would be annoying for some heavier ships...
They're already forcing atmo entries and departures for the bigger ships though...in order to sell bulk trade goods since 3.10, we're forced into Lorville, area 18 or New Babbage by already removing the trade function of Olisar...which besides the already removed Levski were the only alternatives to heavy atmo bulk trading at the main planetary ports. Perhaps bringing the recently added cargo decks online at the existing orbitals like Tressler, Baijini point, Everus harbour et al will develop into the default cargo dropping centres. I have a feeling that the cargo decks at the main orbitals (delayed by the lack of ship to shore docking) is going to be the way of things. Orison still fits into that bracket, it's still an orbital station and also intended to have a cargo deck..

Last edited:
They're already forcing atmo entries and departures for the bigger ships though...in order to sell bulk trade goods, we're forced into Lorville, area 18 or New Babbage by already removing the trade function of Olisar...which besides the already removed Levski was the only alternative. Perhaps bringing the cargo decks online at the existing orbitals like Tressler et all will develop into the default cargo dropping centres. I have a feeling that the cargo decks at the main orbitals (delayed by the lack of ship to shore docking) is going to be the way of things.
That would be the reasoning, as I cannot fathom how one would land a loaded Hull series for instance. Already the Cat is pushing the limits of hangar size (in length) and I suppose the Herc will also barely fit (in width), and there are bigger ships yet to appear. But again "reasoning" is not really a concept for CiG and we're in complete speculation territory here...

If I were a reviewer, I'd be reviewing it as a running game. Which is what it is.

Can't have playable now and it's alpha, can't review it at the same time. Pick one.

Pretty much to my go to argument when people say its playable now. Ok, where are the reviews?

Oh, can't review it because its alpha? Then don't try and sell me on it like its a playable game.

Sure, its playable, for some value of playable, but until it is in a decent state, don't misrepresent what it is.

A lot of gems in the comment section of Chris' latest promotion video, but this is probably my favourite:
in this very moment there is no competition. They have the talent to keep evolving the engine and the tech. Eve Online is relevant still for example. Funding is in a YoY at 70 million. We are on the tail end of tech implementation. Persistence is in. And for a project that pivoted in 2016... we are in a good place. The game will happen and it will be the effort of the careers of many people. I would have been concerned in the beginning of 2015, maybe in 2017. But, not now. Bugs are the least of my concerns now... net code, is key and they are advancing with it. As it stands, there is no other MMO with this level of detail. We just need to be patient. Devs are excited about the game, and they love to work on it. We can play it as it moves forward. Three years and a few months we were in 2.x, just watch some of those videos and look at what they have accomplished now that funding is not fluctuating and that the tech and talent is in place. This is not you average game, and it will take time. Nyx is coming and SQ42 is coming too with Odin... so we waited all this time, and we are in the tail end of dev. People are playing it... do not know what else to say
Take that FUDsters!

When someone mentioned ED Odyssey:
A 32 player instance game that looks average in a whole galaxy... it is a PvE heaven. If that is your cup of space game go for it. They are in 8 and a half years, without initial budget and pivoting the game, hiring the talent, developing the tech from scratch... what base promise and most importantly when did they make that promise
So developing the tech from scratch (reinventing the wheel in other words) is apparently a good thing? And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ED run on a homemade engine?

That would be the reasoning, as I cannot fathom how one would land a loaded Hull series for instance. Already the Cat is pushing the limits of hangar size (in length) and I suppose the Herc will also barely fit (in width), and there are bigger ships yet to appear. But again "reasoning" is not really a concept for CiG and we're in complete speculation territory here...
When they added the cargo decks to the orbitals, and to be fair to Ci¬G, I saw immediately where they were intending to go with them. As usual, although they were physically added they weren't brought online without the much delayed ship to shore/ship to ship docking mechanism or the much vaunted trading mission system similar to ED's, which typical for Ci¬G, was supposed to be completed a few patches ago and has since been removed from the roadmap. The refineries added to the L1 and L2 R&R stops...which are a similar system... were added and brought online immediately due to not needing the docking collars or any bespoke mission system...as yet. That'll change in 20 years or so if and when the Orion appears.

The Hull series were designed from the start as non atmo capable bulk haulers...the biggest atmo haulers in addition to the Cat (and Carrack) will be the Hercules C2 and M2 having internal cargo storage. The Hercs are shorter than the Cat and just narrower than the Carrack by a few metres or so according to the stats (usual disclaimers apply). They'll fit into the standard large hangar...like the Cat and Carrack do already...although having landed the Cat and Carrack into those paint scraping shoe boxes a few times already with no landing radar...it's going to be a tight fit.

Last edited:

A lot of gems in the comment section of Chris' latest promotion video, but this is probably my favourite:

Take that FUDsters!

When someone mentioned ED Odyssey:

So developing the tech from scratch (reinventing the wheel in other words) is apparently a good thing? And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ED run on a homemade engine?

He says we are at the tail end of development, if that's true i expect this game to be at least in BETA testing in 24 months from now, release no more than 2 moths after.
That is all the game mechanics in, 1000 players per instance, 20 star systems, the rest can come in after release. I'll believe it when i see it.

Why? Its just another area... with a tour seller?

The same reason i like to have full ship interiors, the level of detail and graphics SC has, for me a game is as much about what you see and experience as it is about the games mechanics, a huge beautiful station floating in the clouds is a very appealing idea to me and one thing i do know about CIG is they are more than capable of making it look and feel pretty amazing, that's why i'm looking forward to it.

He says we are at the tail end of development, if that's true i expect this game to be at least in BETA testing in 24 months from now, release no more than 2 moths after.
They have been saying this exactly since... 2012. That "stale" quote from CR.

That is all the game mechanics in, 1000 players per instance, 20 star systems, the rest can come in after release. I'll believe it when i see it.
It's taken them 9 years so far to make one system, and it's not yet finished (Crusader and then the star itself are still missing). The planets and moons each take several months even with their infamous "pipelines".

The same reason i like to have full ship interiors, the level of detail and graphics SC has,
Wait: most of it is non functional (apart from the pilot chair / cockpit). It's just a 3D asset that you can walk in.

for me a game is as much about what you see and experience as it is about the games mechanics, a huge beautiful station floating in the clouds is a very appealing idea to me and one thing i do know about CIG is they are more than capable of making it look and feel pretty amazing, that's why i'm looking forward to it.
Granted you see it once and bask in amazement. Then what :)

Oh, he got the memo. Why do you think he talked about a “prototype” during his Kickstarter pitch? The problem is that he wanted the credit without having actually done the work...
It has to be pointed that "prototype" was just a machinima, not a prototype per se. A prototype would have used white box models, and showed how they could nail the core concepts (1000 players per instance, space coordinate system, working physics). Show what CR showed to an actual producer and get laughed all the way out to the door.

(edit) so is that "what is star citizen" video just posted above. Absolutely not actual game contents, the movement of players and ships is clearly different, not to mention DoF effects and such...

Last edited:
Wait: most of it is non functional (apart from the pilot chair / cockpit). It's just a 3D asset that you can walk in.

If you want to boil it down to its constituent parts like that, sure, if that's all you want from a game then i understand why anything beyond that isn't relevant to you.

The same reason i like to have full ship interiors, the level of detail and graphics SC has, for me a game is as much about what you see and experience as it is about the games mechanics, a huge beautiful station floating in the clouds is a very appealing idea to me and one thing i do know about CIG is they are more than capable of making it look and feel pretty amazing, that's why i'm looking forward to it.

Beautiful graphics a games does not make.

They have beautiful areas. You can already see many. Another one, i don't see the reason to be excited about it. CIG have shown they can to nice looking. Hell, any half-decent team with a decent game engine and some artists and moddelers theses days. Its not really an achievement.

I'd say reserve your excitement for CIG doing something that they haven't done before (although of course, someone else most likely will have done it before, but hey, CIG can always claim its never been done before with this level of fidelity)

Yes, i don't think we've ever said SC isn't pretty. Many games are.
To be fair to Intrepid...I see and enjoy the same things he does. Even for someone who's entirely objective and cynical about Star Citizen as a backer, it has that something. Being suckers for a pretty screenshot doesn't explain away everyone who enjoys parts of SC... outside of the droves of dreamcrafting loonies we keep hearing from on t'interweb that is. :)

I've found that most of those who persistently create dreams.txt scenarios with SC are former Eve players for some reason....strange as that may seem.

Last edited:
Players could enjoy a Hellion II. All in one star system. Ship interiors. Planet surfaces. EVA.

But no company would spend $400 million because they'd lose money.
I backed Hellion as well in case you've forgotten :)

Absolutely loved it, very sad to see it fail. It was kinda special.

8xibQBD.jpg

gRnQLWZ.jpg

UCJGdh3.jpg

Last edited:
But wasn't that the game that had to change development direction because it turned out what people said they wanted didn't actually turn out to be what people wanted.
It was more a split in the development team...some wanted to continue with Hellion, some wanted to take the cash from Hellion to start another project...they kinda fell out over it.

Back
Top Bottom