Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

"Well, Starfield's been in the works for 25 years, so really, Star Citizen is ahead of schedule, going by standard development cycles." - Reddit, probably
Already used as an excuse on Spectrum, being talked about here:

The replies are just... yeah, exactly what you think. People are like "you can't go by the trailer," which is just the biggest goshdarn irony of ironies. Others are asking him to show the game release which, again, is really funny considering the 10 year pre-alpha state of Star Citizen. I mean, the original post is so mild compared to the replies it's receiving.

And the newest comparison/excuse has just hatched.

Starfield took 25 years to develop!!!!

v6A4dS3.png

Yeah, I laughed hard when i saw that. I'm sure some of the faithful will latch onto that like a dog onto a bone.

SC question here:

I know that SC is MMO only, so that really gives me pause about giving them any of my money. I like what I see (so far), but I'm wondering if I can even play the game without being blown to bits every time I try climbing into a spaceship. I've been told by some that they have never been attacked (similar to comments I've gotten about this game...), and others say that I will get attacked, depending on what I'm trying to do in-game.

So just how bad is it? Really?

Call me crazy but I remember seeing a SQ42 trailer and some kind of playthrough years ago.

Well, it basically went like this.

1) For several years CIG said they couldn't show anything to do with SQ42 because of spoilers.
2) CIG then did a 1 hour long video of SQ42 - which was a whole lot of walking though corridors and some space flight.
3) They then reverted to saying they couldn't show anything of SQ42 because of spoilers.

SC question here:

I know that SC is MMO only, so that really gives me pause about giving them any of my money. I like what I see (so far), but I'm wondering if I can even play the game without being blown to bits every time I try climbing into a spaceship. I've been told by some that they have never been attacked (similar to comments I've gotten about this game...), and others say that I will get attacked, depending on what I'm trying to do in-game.

Paging @sovapid - our resident ganker!

Well, it basically went like this.

1) For several years CIG said they couldn't show anything to do with SQ42 because of spoilers.
2) CIG then did a 1 hour long video of SQ42 - which was a whole lot of walking though corridors and some space flight.
3) They then reverted to saying they couldn't show anything of SQ42 because of spoilers.
Makes sense, probably why Starfield didn't showed much either. Still don't have a clue what it is about.

Call me crazy but I remember seeing a SQ42 trailer and some kind of playthrough years ago.
true that, you think thats still current or ever existed back than or even now?

Cuz we were promised an updated trailer this year (or was it last)? And that backpaddled to a roadmap, then a video to a roadmap and right now its just "then".

SC question here:

right now server population is 50 so not sure you can consider this "massive" but who knows? Maybe the magic germans will fix the netcode somewhat in the next decade....crank it up to 100 or so

SC question here:

As long as the SC "verse" stays that small (one system) your chances to meet a ganker are quite high. There are always at least 2-3 of them on every server and there are very few planets / moons / stations, and since the "trade routes" are completely static (no market simulation) space truckers will always follow the same routes.
Will you get blown to bits though ? Not so much as it's easy to jump out, just make sure you drop from that jump before its destination as your assaulter will be there waiting for you.
Joining another ship and manning turrets for shooting stuff is another way to have a go at it, in a safer manner, since as opposed to cargo hauling / mining you have absolutely nothing to lose (just the time you respawn and get back to a ship). If you are in a small fighter ship you wont get ganked as it's a pain to hit those through lag/server desync, gankers prefer fat and easy targets, so going around in a small single seater you'll be safe.
Besides there are no real goals or gains to be had since the persistence is still "tier 0" as cultists will tell you.

50 is already stretching the limits of CryEngine network layer (and main loop that waits for EVERYTHING to synchronize..) as it was made for about half of that...
AFAIK servers hardly reach that capacity before they start breaking up. Our regular alpha-testers said time and again 15-20 players are optimal. More than that and you start playing 30K-roulette. Still its the theoretical max right now. I m not saying servers at 50 players function smoothly

SC question here:

The odds of getting ganked are very low. I do a bunch of PVE stuff on an alt and I've been killed once in 4 years.

If you avoid Grim Hex, Port Olisar, Security Port Kerah, and Port Tressler you will most likely be fine. Keep global chat up and read it. If there is ganking taking place on your server, someone will be talking about it in global chat.

If you are flying in to land at a space station or outpost and there is a red ship flying around: leave. The number of times I'm blowing up ships going in or out of a station and a person comes in oblivious to the fact that it is a killing field is astounding.

Right now trade isn't broken per se, but the values are set in a way that it is not worth doing. So hardly anyone is trading. Prices, supply and demand all change based on how many people are trading specific commodities at different locations. In effect you are competing for trade against all the other players on all the other servers.

Mining with a ROC is also a popular way to make money now. I have done a ton of ROC mining and this is what i was doing the one time I was killed. When you ping looking for minables, the ping is visible from very far away. It can be seen by ships in orbit of the moons you mine on. Generally these will be legit pirates that want to steal your stuff because waiting to try and find miners takes forever. Gankers like me will get bored and look for easier targets. You are most likely to be found mining on Daymar, Arial, and Aberdeen because those moons have the highest concentrations of valuable minerals.

Top Bottom