Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

uy01prqubn571.jpg

To be honest I quite like the fact that Escape from Tarkov lets you be a complete gun nut and do this kind of thing. But I agree it's pointless putting it in a space game when they haven't made the space game yet

64 weeks tho 😂

2 teams for more than a year :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
What was it?

If I had to guess, it would be that it was a reference to this:

I mean this has to be some elaborate way of trolling people right? 2 teams at 64 weeks?

I just can't... like WHAT IS THIS?

I was in the SC subreddit when this popped up, and a CiG developer dropped in and said that it's not actually 64 weeks, but that the system they use doesn't take into account stops and starts, so for example if they work on it in July for a week, and work on it in August for a week, it would still be listed as 8 weeks. That is my understanding that they will be working on it at various points over the next 64 weeks.

I was in the SC subreddit when this popped up, and a CiG developer dropped in and said that it's not actually 64 weeks, but that the system they use doesn't take into account stops and starts, so for example if they work on it in July for a week, and work on it in August for a week, it would still be listed as 8 weeks. That is my understanding that they will be working on it at various points over the next 64 weeks.
Yeah, that's the point. They don't get finished anything. They just load up some busywork to make it seem they're working. But it's useless busywork just for the sake of it and to justify the paycheck.

Yeah, that's the point. They don't get finished anything. They just load up some busywork to make it seem they're working. But it's useless busywork just for the sake of it and to justify the paycheck.
True, and it puts the roadmap in a new light. I've seen backers comment "wow, they're working on (new ship) for 32 weeks! They must plan on getting it out this year," when in actuality they may work on it for a grand total of two weeks over that 32 weeks. It's very misleading.

Oh, and that Reddit post if you want to see it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/o17joq/_/h212fsp Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/o17joq/amazing_sq42_feature_spanning_65_weeks_of_dev_time/h212fsp?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That in itself is also quite bizarre. When you are coding you get into "the zone" as i call it. Where you become highly productive because you are totally into making it work. Nothing worse than being pulled out of the zone than stupid things like meetings, skype chats, etc. But you can recover from those and they are a fact of life in any company. Ok, an hour or two away, and you can get back into it. And at the end of the day, you have lunch breaks and end of day comes and you go home and have to continue the next day.

But taking weeks between working on the thing, and it being planned that way?

Wow, i can't imagine that. By the time you return to it you're either going to have to remember what you were doing or maybe you will now realize it would be much better to do it differently and restart everything again.

To me this sounds like CIG once again rewriting the book on project management. That is throwing out decades of best practices and replacing with anti-patterns wherever possible.

True, and it puts the roadmap in a new light. I've seen backers comment "wow, they're working on (new ship) for 32 weeks! They must plan on getting it out this year," when in actuality they may work on it for a grand total of two weeks over that 32 weeks. It's very misleading.

Oh, and that Reddit post if you want to see it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/o17joq/_/h212fsp Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/o17joq/amazing_sq42_feature_spanning_65_weeks_of_dev_time/h212fsp?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Yeah, and the road map has no way of conveying progress, only effort.

Just because you work on something for two weeks doesn't mean it is any closer to being done.

This image is from some discord star citizen news bot and this is from a post about the roadmap. Those features are not necessarily "complete", they just stopped working on them.

160621_roadmap.png

That's a terrible way of working. a feature like that should be finished in one or two sprints. not forgotten about for over a year

That in itself is also quite bizarre. When you are coding you get into "the zone" as i call it. Where you become highly productive because you are totally into making it work. Nothing worse than being pulled out of the zone than stupid things like meetings, skype chats, etc. But you can recover from those and they are a fact of life in any company. Ok, an hour or two away, and you can get back into it. And at the end of the day, you have lunch breaks and end of day comes and you go home and have to continue the next day.

But taking weeks between working on the thing, and it being planned that way?

Wow, i can't imagine that. By the time you return to it you're either going to have to remember what you were doing or maybe you will now realize it would be much better to do it differently and restart everything again.

To me this sounds like CIG once again rewriting the book on project management. That is throwing out decades of best practices and replacing with anti-patterns wherever possible.
Yeah, it's complete nullocks. Also: 64 weeks. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

If I had to guess, it would be that it was a reference to this:

Nice wall of text for me to read, thx :)

How many chapters are there meant to be in SQ42 ?

I believe CIG are aiming for Chapter 7.

Top Bottom