Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Good "standing" with those who select the chosen ones?
Its pretty much this....

If you put a lot of hours in to it and have used the Issue Council a couple of times you have a good chance.

The more you use the Issue Council for bug reporting and the better skilled you are at those bug reports the more that chance goes up.

Essentially what they want is an extension to QA.

Swapping region shards, and joining friends' shards, doesn't resolve the queries of "what happens if my homestead/landclaim is under attack in a different shard? What if it's being attacked in multiple shards?"
that’s the thing… according to their approach it can’t be attack from another shard because at any given time only one shard become authoritative for your homestead (meaning only the game worker nodes of that shard can modify the state of that asset)… now if your homestead was unloaded to the global database (because it became inactive due to nobody being nearby) and then loaded to a different shard (for whatever reason) then the matchmaking system should put you in that specific shard (at login or when you jump to your homestead location/system) that has authoritative rights over your homestead… this is what I understood from their server meshing video.

One thing they did not address, or at least I didn’t catch it, is can we swap shards on the fly? if so… then how this will happen? will it be via loadscreen or will they do it as other mmos (players/things appears/disappear out if thin air)

SaltEMike spotted in the CitCon that they talked about making the tool that they use for making bases available to owners. If that turns out to be true then it might point to indestructible bases? Normally in games I think if you build them in-game (like Valheim / NMS etc) then they can be destroyed, but probably not if you need to jump out to an external tool to restore them?

(14:34 if the time doesn't work)

Source: https://youtu.be/Eq9AaPwMCpk?t=874

LOL, totally auto cue

SaltEMike spotted in the CitCon that they talked about making the tool that they use for making bases available to owners. If that turns out to be true then it might point to indestructible bases? Normally in games I think if you build them in-game (like Valheim / NMS etc) then they can be destroyed, but probably not if you need to jump out to an external tool to restore them?

(14:34 if the time doesn't work)

Source: https://youtu.be/Eq9AaPwMCpk?t=874

Watched further.

"stream of conciousness is the right title because they just rambled on"

"I doubt what they talked about even exists"

yeah, being able to get away from people.....

so locking down locations/blockades etc wont really be a thing.

but thats how it is now.

Oh dear.... there goes a whole bunch of theorycrafting and part of the reason some PvPers switched over to SC from ED.

The more CIG implements, the more they firm up their plans, the more dreams.txt are destroyed to be replaced with reality.txt

Assuming the shard isn't filled with friends already logged-in of course, aka "server full 50/50".
This is the gist of it.

"Shards", as they have explained them, do not differ from current servers in any meaningful way, at least from the perspective of the user. Thanks to improved replication, their history will be preserved (better persistence) and they will probably be able to host more players, say 100 or 200, but that is about it. On the outside, they will function like current servers, albeit improved.

I am repeating myself about "dense" situations but sharding and replication layer will not improve the odds of SC being able to handle capital ship battles etc.

I don't understand networking well enough to know what the ______ is really being said here!

When i join a game and there are 10,000 others playing the game, total, will i see / feel the effects of those players around me?

If my mate has a ship parked on planet 3 in system 17 and i go from planet 1 in system 3 to his ship will it be there for me to use? Even if i randomly joined and am not in his party?

The more CIG implements, the more they firm up their plans, the more dreams.txt are destroyed to be replaced with reality.txt

That was always inevitable if they started locking down specifics, what's surprising is they're finally starting to do it. I guess the money men are running out of patience, and Roberts is no longer free to keep piling on more impossible dreams just to pay for new mansions and handbags. That actually would be "good for SC."

That was always inevitable if they started locking down specifics, what's surprising is they're finally starting to do it. I guess the money men are running out of patience, and Roberts is no longer free to keep piling on more impossible dreams just to pay for new mansions and handbags. That actually would be "good for SC."

I agree with you.

"Oh you can fly the ship through this swishy swashy plughole wormhole your self because that's a fun little mini game...."

No, Chris no! just give me a wormhole effect and spit me out the other side, please....

I don't understand networking well enough to know what the ______ is really being said here!

When i join a game and there are 10,000 others playing the game, total, will i see / feel the effects of those players around me?
You may feel it indirectly the way you do in ED - through their influence on the balance of power in a star system etc. But this is not contingent on sharding or lack thereof. This only depends on:
  1. Having some kind of "background simulation" being implemented. Let's call it ¿Que Pasa?
  2. Having ¿Que Pasa? react to events in all shards and feeding back to them. For example, reading market transactions performed by all players, recalculating some kind of general economic equilibrium and then setting prices in all shards on the same level, accordingly.
However, this does not mean that you can "physically" meet all these players in one place. They will be split among multiple parallel 'verses.
If my mate has a ship parked on planet 3 in system 17 and i go from planet 1 in system 3 to his ship will it be there for me to use? Even if i randomly joined and am not in his party?
If you are on the same shard, yes. If not, then not.

No, if you're on a different shard you won't see him or his ships or any effects caused by him. If he drops a coffee cup, you will never see that coffee cup.

You'd have to join his shard, thereby giving up whatever effects you've caused on your server, and looking at Chad's statement, it looks like they want to eventually lock people to shards.

In other news, loving the thread posted by @sovapid - you can see the mental readjustment taking place in real time, moving from the belief that CIG would one day create a single 'verse with potentially hundreds or thousands of players in a single area and everyone seeing the results of whatever everyone else is doing.... and now its all "well it was obvious that CIG would never be able to do that, its obvious they would have to do it this way"

You may feel it indirectly the way you do in ED - through their influence on the balance of power in a star system etc. But this is not contingent on sharding or lack thereof. This only depends on:
  1. Having some kind of "background simulation" being implemented. Let's call it ¿Que Pasa?
  2. Having ¿Que Pasa? react to events in all shards and feeding back to them. For example, reading market transactions performed by all players, recalculating some kind of general economic equilibrium and then setting prices in all shards on the same level, accordingly.
However, this does not mean that you can "physically" meet all these players in one place. They will be split among multiple parallel 'verses.

If you are on the same shard, yes. If not, then not.
No, if you're on a different shard you won't see him or his ships or any effects caused by him. If he drops a coffee cup, you will never see that coffee cup.

You'd have to join his shard, thereby giving up whatever effects you've caused on your server, and looking at Chad's statement, it looks like they want to eventually lock people to shards.

In other news, loving the thread posted by @sovapid - you can see the mental readjustment taking place in real time, moving from the belief that CIG would one day create a single 'verse with potentially hundreds or thousands of players in a single area and everyone seeing the results of whatever everyone else is doing.... and now its all "well it was obvious that CIG would never be able to do that, its obvious they would have to do it this way"

Right, thank you :)

I'm ok with that, not what was promised, by CR, but you know what, if this will actually work and make it a game..... i'm ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom