Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Seriously - don't go up against a game known as 'mile wide inch deep' with an argument 'but SC is wider'. Stick to the immersion case - at least you have an argument on that one. Not sure if you will win, but at least you won't be laughed out of the room.
Perfectly succinct summary of the laughable comparison LittleAnt is foolishly trying to make (y)

It's kinda sad that LittleAnt knows so little about Elite Dangerous, limited by his tribalism. Play all the games 😄

BTW, I am not sure why salvage is taking years to implement, if Tier-0 could consist of:
  • breaking exploded ships into preset parts that persist
  • "mining them" with the "salvage gun"
It does not even need component stripping at first. Out of all the non existing game loops, this one feels like pretty straightforward.

EDIT: then adding "salvage missions" is easy as well. Seriously.

Last edited:
Sad of course, but i did get a giggle out of "we're trying to fill a server". Shouldn't be hard, although it runs the risk of the server crashing if they do get it to max.

h78jbfxx6dx71.png

Maybe some backers might be starting to feel a bit nervous about ever seeing a 1.0 release.... oh, sorry Chris, my bad, we are already on 3.15.

Yes. Unless you are in for the "chillout hour with a favourite podcast" mode, then Euro Truck Simulator will do rather better. Or a walk in any open world game.

I will let you in on a secret: there are no real consequences in video games. They are nothing more than interactive moving pictures on a screen. Unless you waste enough time to fail an exam, neglect your child or engage your wallet with the gameplay loop of the "pledge store".

If you meant "consequences" in terms of in-game rules, then every game with a hardcore mode, like Division 2, or a proper roguelike (not roguelite) is more consequential than anything Star Citizen will ever be. I mean, even Tetris makes you start from the beginning once you fail. No matter how far you got. But in the meantime there is no tedium, it is engaging in every second of every playthrough.

Gawd, the more I think about it, Tetris is genius, really.
Fuuuu....! Don't do this! Don't ruin Tetris like that. I despise Ironman! And Tetris is not! sobs

Sad of course, but i did get a giggle out of "we're trying to fill a server". Shouldn't be hard, although it runs the risk of the server crashing if they do get it to max.
I've done a few org events, and servers are actually pretty stable when filled to the brim, atleast when everyone's in a general area in the System. Doesnt strain the server that much as it only has to compute a singular planet or so.

BTW, I am not sure why salvage is taking years to implement, if Tier-0 could consist of:
  • breaking exploded ships into preset parts that persist
  • "mining them" with the "salvage gun"
It does not even need component stripping at first. Out of all the non existing game loops, this one feels like pretty straightforward.

EDIT: then adding "salvage missions" is easy as well. Seriously.

The funniest thing is that the salvaging scheduled for 3.16 seems to be just the gun idea...

xIVoXHj.png

4 years+ after it was supposed to drop for ships, and after all the endless rotations on and off roadmaps, they're just about adding a 'laser beam profession X' implementation...

The blocker is "that persist". To persist, it requires that the number of entities be increased on the server.
Not really. Destroy one ship, break it down into a single persistent and multiple disappearing chunks at first. One-for-one exchange. Salvage was supposed to be in in 2017, in the meantime CIG made multiple maneuvers around cramming more into the 'verse for other purposes. Or are you trying to say four years were not sufficient to improve the serves enough to store the position of, say, a thousand additional objects? This is a minuscule amount of data.

I liked Sokiban though. Anyone remember that? Is what they tried in SC with cargo space but then a bottle fell on Little Ants head and now he talks funny. Fun aside: They couldn't make it because they only can guarantee box persistency on an area of about a little room. That is if they can manage to get the door logic right.
You could probably ask in From the Depths, Barotrauma or Factoria and Space Engineer forum - I'm sure there are clever players who figure that out.

I've done a few org events, and servers are actually pretty stable when filled to the brim, atleast when everyone's in a general area in the System. Doesnt strain the server that much as it only has to compute a singular planet or so.

Good to hear.

Not really. Destroy one ship, break it down into a single persistent and multiple disappearing chunks at first. One-for-one exchange. Salvage was supposed to be in in 2017, in the meantime CIG made multiple maneuvers around cramming more into the 'verse for other purposes. Or are you trying to say four years were not sufficient to improve the serves enough to store the position of, say, a thousand additional objects? This is a minuscule amount of data.
I would love to read more about it. Any pointers? Existing discussions somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom