Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I did a double-take when I read this. IMO, the phrase “starter level” shouldn’t associate with any value of real life money, let alone a three digit one…
I think Ci¬G related to the Raft as an 'entry level hauler for new players and seasoned veterans alike'...I took it that the entry level description was describing the less than startling 96 scu cargo capacity rather than suggest it was a rung on a ladder for the newbies. Nobody in their right mind will be forking out $250 on an initial ship purchase...not for a less than adequate hauler anyway.

As for 'seasoned veterans' buying one, unless they're of the Pokemon collector variety, all the existing haulers in game have at least a Caterpillar (576 scu) or a Herc C2 (649 scu) for that already, so there's no earthly use for a $250 ship that carries less than a fifth of a Caterpillar load. As for the medium haulers that the Raft will be competing against, there's the Lancer Max (120 scu), the MSR (114 scu) and the Connies ( Andromeda and Aquila at 96 scu and the Taurus at 174 scu), all of them cheaper, all of them multi-role and most of them carrying more cargo than the single purposed Raft...I just can't see where Ci¬G are trying to fit the Raft at all. If they had rigged it to carry 200-250 scu, it might be halfway useful, as it is... it's a new ship simply for the sake of having a new ship, nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I just can't see where Ci¬G are trying to fit the Raft at all. If they had rigged it to carry 200-250 scu, it might be halfway useful, as it is... it's a new ship simply for the sake of having a new ship, nothing else 🤷‍♂️
It can (should) be cheaper in aUEC than the others haulers.
And perhaps it will be easier/quicker to handle the big containers with it when the cargo refactor will be in.

I think Ci¬G related to the Raft as an 'entry level hauler for new players and seasoned veterans alike'...I took it that the entry level description was describing the less than startling 96 scu cargo capacity rather than suggest it was a rung on a ladder for the newbies. Nobody in their right mind will be forking out $250 on an initial ship purchase...not for a less than adequate hauler anyway.

As for 'seasoned veterans' buying one, unless they're of the Pokemon collector variety, all the existing haulers in game have at least a Caterpillar (576 scu) or a Herc C2 (649 scu) for that already, so there's no earthly use for a $250 ship that carries less than a fifth of a Caterpillar load. As for the medium haulers that the Raft will be competing against, there's the Lancer Max (120 scu), the MSR (114 scu) and the Connies ( Andromeda and Aquila at 96 scu and the Taurus at 174 scu), all of them cheaper, all of them multi-role and most of them carrying more cargo than the single purposed Raft...I just can't see where Ci¬G are trying to fit the Raft at all. If they had rigged it to carry 200-250 scu, it might be halfway useful, as it is... it's a new ship simply for the sake of having a new ship, nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Wonder if they're running out of niches? (At least now they're limited to not adding crazy scope-creep ships)

The Raft there almost sounds like a dry run for the large external cargo of the Hull series etc. (Maybe they've switched to getting their current scope backlog working in small instalments? Might get a pilotable farming pod next ;))

vUls3xxQ9Xb0PKz7tREXTE2dEw2PnmV6z3tC70Ct648.png

Or, as we discovered, not thousands in the same instance but maybe 50+ in the same shard...

Last edited:
Wonder if they're running out of niches? (At least now they're limited to not adding crazy scope-creep ships)

The Raft there almost sounds like a dry run for the large external cargo of the Hull series etc. (Maybe they've switched to getting their current scope backlog working in small instalments? Might get a pilotable farming pod next ;))
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Raft changed purpose between concept and flyable. I reckon it was originally going to be a medium refinery ship but then Ci¬G repurposed the Starfarer leaving them with nowhere to go with it...they dropped the refinery, added a small amount of external cargo in place of it and flogged the repurposed hull as a rubbish cargo ship 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
vUls3xxQ9Xb0PKz7tREXTE2dEw2PnmV6z3tC70Ct648.png

Or, as we discovered, not thousands in the same instance but maybe 50+ in the same shard...
Hey, they still have more than a month to release server meshing!
But I feel like that's not a "quote" as you can't find this in the chairman letter.
Server Meshing is another big technical milestone ahead of us. It’s dependent on iCache, as that allows the various servers in the mesh to utilize a unified snapshot of the state of the universe, but we have been working on this over the past few years and hope to have the first iteration in players’ hands by next year.

Didn't explicitly say that they were gonna get it into player's hands next year. "Hoping".
Again another very nice example of people from the Refunds sub misquoting things to seem like promises!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Raft changed purpose between concept and flyable. I reckon it was originally going to be a medium refinery ship but then Ci¬G repurposed the Starfarer leaving them with nowhere to go with it...they dropped the refinery, added a small amount of external cargo in place of it and flogged the repurposed hull as a rubbish cargo ship 🤷‍♂️
There is only so many roles you can make up for your perpetual ship sales.

But I feel like that's not a "quote" as you can't find this in the chairman letter.

Its the one where CR compared the development of SC to Kennedy's speech about going to the moon, because CR can't help compare himself and his products to great things, like comparing himself to Francis Ford Coppola. The guy is an absoloute narcissistic hack.

Anyway, from the letter, the quote is right there.

He finishes that part with

as the tech will spin up additional servers to handle the simulation load in an area as the player count increases. This is when Star Citizen becomes a true Massively Multiplayer Game.

LOOOOL

Its the one where CR compared the development of SC to Kennedy's speech about going to the moon, because CR can't help compare himself and his products to great things, like comparing himself to Francis Ford Coppola. The guy is an absoloute narcissistic hack.

Anyway, from the letter, the quote is right there.

He finishes that part with

LOOOOL
I'm beginning to feel like Marty McFly here, going back in time in a Delorean :rolleyes:

I've rarely seen customers actively give a CEO an "out" after making claims, instead of holding them accountable. But hey, here we are, almost a decade later with zero deliverables.

Its one thing that constantly confuses me.

Any other company and and by this point the community would be tarring and feathering the devs.

Instead they just keep on giving them more money.

Its been said before, but succeed or fail, there are whole theses waiting to be written about the crowdfunding of SC.

Back
Top Bottom