Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
So, if we have now 10x the number of poly that the industry had 10 years ago, we should be in the standard level of detail of the industry atm no ?
No idea what the "poly standard" is these days but either way if the thing is abysmally broken and works worst than porridge, no, we aren´t I am afraid.

Last edited:
Yes it actually is, if your argument is true then the game is rendering huge amounts of stuff that no-one is looking at, that no-one can see, you render this stuff when it comes into line of sight and range of a player, not all the damn time because that leads, well what leads to is a game in eternal alpha that will never get released because no client computer or server can actually handle that sort of load. This is why many games have sliders for maximum distance rendering, you don't render stuff that people can't see, that's silly and just leads to huge amounts of unnecessary work both at the server and client end.
Source: https://youtu.be/JdP0U4XA7C0

The SC renderer actually culls things very well, only problem is that without Vulkan its limited to running on a single render thread.

And yet they have been "working" on gen 12/Vulkan for years. If it is the ultimate fix they not exactly pushing to getting it implemented. They've been talking about dx12/vulkan since 2015, if not before.
Didn't provide any dates in the article, really just acknowledging it's existance and saying that SC could use it. Vulkan 1.0 wasn't released until 2016 either.

Didn't provide any dates in the article, really just acknowledging it's existance and saying that SC could use it. Vulkan 1.0 wasn't released until 2016 either.
So they were talking about it prior to release, planning for it even. Been working on it for years regardless of whether they started it in 2016 or 2017 and it's still nowhere near implemented. Just like so many other things at CIG, talk, talk, talk.

You haven't read carefuly. This player in a Carrack is served with more poly mainly because in his carrack he has a full interior, a small ship landed on his big ship, a ground vehicle in his cargo, some weapons in racks, some boxes in the cargo, etc. And someone in EVA can see all of this through the Carrack's windows or the open cargo doors. It's not more poly for the sake of more poly. It's more poly for more fun.

In ED (and a lot of other space games), every ship is an empty shell.
I keep plugging this game Motor Town. It's low poly, no smooth transition in and out of vehicles, which are things I like to see as well, but the gameplay is so fun, those things dont matter. It has a free demo, even. Very early development, but you'll see with the gameplay that is there, those "neccesseties" are less needed. Vehicles are not empty shells, though. If you dont strap down crates/cargo, it slides as you drive, even...sometimes flying out the vehicle.

If not having interiors, etc, made it so SC could run smooth, or at all in my case, I'd take that trade off.

Source: https://youtu.be/JdP0U4XA7C0

The SC renderer actually culls things very well, only problem is that without Vulkan its limited to running on a single render thread.
If SC is already doing the culling etc properly, then it's doomed...no room for improvement. In EDO, it seems they haven't fully implemented this, which means as they do it more, it'll get better. Oh...did you notice the smooth sitting thing? That's great, even if only on "stationairy" objects. And still more to come.

Was it really that simple all along?

LittleAnt likes SC because it's shiny, so you're a graphics junkie LA, no worries, a fair few are. Certainly explains why having no space and very little to do in your bestest ever game/alpha and the ridiculous amount of bugs doesn't bother ya....just as long as you can see that coffee cup through the Idris window....amirite?

If SC is already doing the culling etc properly, then it's doomed...no room for improvement.

Yeah this is a key point. City locations are the least performant areas under standard player load, yet the culling work in place seems to be pretty extensive.

That guy’s analysis does suggest that they have managed to get themselves CPU bound, via streaming to memory, hence the prayers to the god of Vulkan. (I sure hope CIG aren’t hoping to add yet more CPU intensive aspects. Like, I dunno, physics based cargo loading for example ;))

So they were talking about it prior to release, planning for it even.
Planning for an implementation for when the renderer is ready, this was 2015. There was so much new stuff they had to integrate into their already existing renderer (planets, LZs and so on)
Been working on it for years regardless of whether they started it in 2016 or 2017 and it's still nowhere near implemented. Just like so many other things at CIG, talk, talk, talk.
No, they've not been working on it for years lmao. Where are you getting that from? Looking into an API to maybe be used for your game is not working on it for years.

Planning for an implementation for when the renderer is ready, this was 2015. There was so much new stuff they had to integrate into their already existing renderer (planets, LZs and so on).
Nonsense. Always making excuses for their glacial development.

No, they've not been working on it for years lmao. Where are you getting that from? Looking into an API to maybe be used for your game is not working on it for years.
Sure they have, talking about it for years and claiming to be working on it. Nothing but bait on a hook for their backers.

Nonsense. Always making excuses for their glacial development.
Not nonsense, those are the facts you're ignoring.
Sure they have, talking about it for years and claiming to be working on it. Nothing but bait on a hook for their backers.
Where? Now you're just spouting boll*cks. No mention at the 2019 citcon, no mention prior to that, like, please, tell me when they actively talked about this again and again apart from that one article from 2015?

"I know it looks like my car has no license plates, windscreen or lights officer but I promise they are just hidden underneath a layer of dust. As soon as I get it on the highway and point it at oncoming traffic all the dust falls off and it becomes the bestest car ever, just wait and see.

... what are you doing with those handcuffs."

CIG have been transitioning APIs for so long they’ve moved forums in the meantime…

Regarding to low overhead APIs: How are things going on with Vulkan/DX12 and what are - aside from the time it takes to implement - the most challenging aspects to get them done? Are there any blockers? (Like code freeze for a complete overhaul or similar things)
Hi @Valdore!

First a disclaimer: I'm not the guy doing this work, but I am using the old/new interfaces.

I think the biggest issue with the transition to new APIs is old code. Looking through the codebase, you can definitely tell that CryEngine started back in D3D9 times, on single or dual core machines, and did a lot of stuff that was probably efficient, or flexible, or at least fast to develop at the time. So a lot of existing code accesses big global structures - one thing sets a shader to be used, leaves it set for other things that will go and check what else it wants done, eventually the global state represents the next thing that ought to be drawn, it gets drawn, something then makes the minimal changes to draw the next thing. In the new APIs, we want to be doing all this kind of thing on a bunch of threads, and suddenly having everything fiddling around with a single giant data table is a world of pain. The new interfaces (which slowly appear amongst my code when I do an update) try to... um... pelletise(?) the process, so render state is associated with an object, work to be done exists as a set of objects with appropriate render state on each, so they can can be built anywhere, on any thread, chunked together on another, and only come back to the main render thread to be thrown at the GPU.

Where? Now you're just spouting boll*cks. No mention at the 2019 citcon, no mention prior to that, like, please, tell me when they actively talked about this again and again apart from that one article from 2015?
Stop trolling Ebob.

Plenty of articles and discussions about it going back to 2016/2017. Originally they were working on DX12 but decided to drop that in 2017 because they thought not enough people would be using Win 10 by the time the game came out (lol). And then they started working on Vulkan instead.

If you were really a supporter of this game and not just here to troll people, you would know this.

LittleAnt likes SC because it's shiny, so you're a graphics junkie LA, no worries, a fair few are. Certainly explains why having no space and very little to do in your bestest ever game/alpha and the ridiculous amount of bugs doesn't bother ya....just as long as you can see that coffee cup through the Idris window....amirite?
When i was young i used to date pretty lasses that had no personality, but those brief relationships had no depth. I matured out of that phase :)

Planning for an implementation for when the renderer is ready, this was 2015. There was so much new stuff they had to integrate into their already existing renderer (planets, LZs and so on)

CIG have been working on implementing Vulkan (and previously DirectX 12 too) into their custom CryEngine build since 2015 - here's Chris saying so himself:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9_L5o4mhQ&t=72s

Meanwhile I'd quite happily take a voxel game that delivered all the mechanical features promised by SC. Would probably take a lot less development time.

Back
Top Bottom