Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Space Engineers does it perfectly well. It must have Quantum Tunnelling Network Mushing Tech to stream from its alternative universe
With how many people per server exactly? Also last time I tried it I kept glitching through the ship and teleporting all over the place.

Except when there were 49 people on the server, each flying their own ship, there was no server capacity left to have anyone walking around them.

Oh, i get it now. Since i can't see his posts. He's trying to claim that there are more people there than actually are.

That's funny.

49 ships means maybe one person is spare, sitting on a ship or on a planet. Maybe not even the same planet. They could be at Port Olisar.

Basically they took over the whole server to get those ships together.

Not impressive at all. There is more poly displayed by 1 player in his Carrack with his Pisces landed on top of the hangar and a Rock in the opened cargo than in 10 anacondas.

Please, almighty, dont tell me you're all going to start going down the "we have more polygons per inch, than any other game!" path, because now you're really proving how backwards SC is. lol. 6 polys for that cube? watch this! 800 polygon cube shows up, and face 89 is coloured with just the right amount of blue. Wow what an impressive cube.

Please, almighty, dont tell me you're all going to start going down the "we have more polygons per inch, than any other game!" path, because now you're really proving how backwards SC is. lol. 6 polys for that cube? watch this! 800 polygon cube shows up, and face 89 is coloured with just the right amount of blue. Wow what an impressive cube.
You haven't read carefuly. This player in a Carrack is served with more poly mainly because in his carrack he has a full interior, a small ship landed on his big ship, a ground vehicle in his cargo, some weapons in racks, some boxes in the cargo, etc. And someone in EVA can see all of this through the Carrack's windows or the open cargo doors. It's not more poly for the sake of more poly. It's more poly for more fun.

In ED (and a lot of other space games), every ship is an empty shell.

You haven't read carefuly.

Oh he did. He just knows that "My game runs like porridge, but have you checked out my polys?" is a really terrible flex...

Polygon counts could be made higher, and higher again. The goal wasn't performance, but the opposite - how much could you put on the screen. Think about it now with 10 years of hindsight, that's a race you're only one ever one generation of consoles away from losing. (source)

Anyone who has worked in game art knows that quality is not measured in a vacuum. Quality only exists relative to the available budget- tris and pixels. You plan and build your character based on the budget you expect to have. When I started here, I was astounded to learn that no one was able to tell me the budget for character assets. People seemed to be operating under the mantra “It’s CryEngine, the budget is irrelevant” This attitude for game art production is suicide in a bottle. This apparently is still a difficult question to answer. In the absence of budget, Roberts judges all game assets against his own imagination or an asset in another game. (source)

Star Citizen Kickstarter said:
10X the detail of current AAA games... (source)

A really impressive flex would be a working, delivered game ;)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/ti70ki/this_has_to_be_the_dumbest_way_i_have_died/

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It's not more poly for the sake of more poly. It's more poly for more fun.

Yes it actually is, if your argument is true then the game is rendering huge amounts of stuff that no-one is looking at, that no-one can see, you render this stuff when it comes into line of sight and range of a player, not all the damn time because that leads, well what leads to is a game in eternal alpha that will never get released because no client computer or server can actually handle that sort of load. This is why many games have sliders for maximum distance rendering, you don't render stuff that people can't see, that's silly and just leads to huge amounts of unnecessary work both at the server and client end.

Yes it actually is, if your argument is true then the game is rendering huge amounts of stuff that no-one is looking at, that no-one can see, you render this stuff when it comes into line of sight and range of a player, not all the damn time because that leads, well what leads to is a game in eternal alpha that will never get released because no client computer or server can actually handle that sort of load. This is why many games have sliders for maximum distance rendering, you don't render stuff that people can't see, that's silly and just leads to huge amounts of unnecessary work both at the server and client end.
Ho ?
You want to explain culling (graphic and network), render distance and LOD ?
All this technics (and others) already added or planned by CIG ?

Oh he did. He just knows that "My game runs like porridge, but have you checked out my polys?" is a really terrible flex...
Star Citizen Kickstarter (2013) said:
10X the detail of current AAA games...
So, if we have now 10x the number of poly that the industry had 10 years ago, we should be in the standard level of detail of the industry atm no ?

For the porridge, a big spoon of Vulkan should help a lot.

you don't render stuff that people can't see, that's silly and just leads to huge amounts of unnecessary work both at the server and client end.
It seems that FDEV didn't knew this technic at the release of EDO 😅

If a billion pound company can release without a real culling, CIG could also no ? 😁

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom