Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The only aspect that still vaguely amuses me is how often Schrodinger's game gets compared in both of its apple/pears state.

If it's a released game then by all means compare it to other released games. If it's in alpha then the only valid comparison is with other games also in alpha - which is to say, incomplete.
Praise where praise is due. This is down to one of CIG´s few arguable successes in this circus. In this case that of managing to sell a game as a live service and actually release it (as Early Access) for all main practical purposes (tax, accounting, dividends and legal/liabilities), without neither players nor the market realizing that it has been actually released for years. And thereby avoiding all the related widespread and aggregated explicit reviews for released games that would clearly confirm it as such, and probably a crappy one at that.

Last edited:
Just came across SaltEMike's reaction to Starfield trailer. Remained the typical SC fan boi cynic until Howard showed him the wonders of character creation. Then it was all over from that point. Mike appears to be an (unwilling) Starfield acolyte. At least for now Lol.

Priceless reactions:

@12:07 When he realizes he can customize weapons with the deep crafting systems
@12:25 When Howard says "..and you can build your own outposts". That look he gave the camera was priceless.
@12:42 That moment. When he realizes you can build sh8te just about anywhere, however you want, and for FREE.
@12:42 genuinely gave in to his genuine enthusiasm and admitted he was going to play the game. LOL
@13:30 Howard confirms he can chose and customize the layout of his ship.
@13:34 The money shot: SaltEMike is converted into an official Bethesda FAN BOI. At least for Starfield franchise anyways. But it's a start. LMAO.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlv-hniGgs

I really liked the how he started off a pure cynic at the start of the reveal. Transitioned to cautiously neutral throughout the moon demo footage. Became cautiously optimistic when he saw the power of the newly overhauled character creation. And by 13:31 it was all over. I've honestly never seen him look so happy. TBH the only times I've seen him genuinely look happy like this is when he ISN'T streaming SC on Twitch etc. o_O Really hope SF fulfills that void he's been missing out on for over a decade now.

Yeah, Mike's face was priceless.

Elite Dangerous: 4 million copies sold, plus 8 million free copies

Apparent refugees: 0.00004 million

Frontier be like:
thor-avengers.gif
we can't discuss about ED and FDEV here so I will not post what I think as it will be deleted. But you should understand the difference between 'players' and 'active players' before counting to 12 millions (do you know I have an ED paid account ?).
But for the refugee, I can't play one week without finding a new one arriving in the chat ingame (because I talk a lot with newbs), and servers have only 50 players. You want to do the stat ?

Last edited:
Some says here that SC graphics are on par with ED and there is no ED refugee movement.

Let's see what an ex ED player thought about those subjects :
"wave of ED refugee suddenly arriving"
"jaw dropping environments are just incredible"

Just lol. I wonder what she will write when the honey moon phase will be over, there is a little delay but it should be coming quick now 😆

P5W2BU5.jpg

Totally normal healthy relationships there. For sure, if you want a happy life to play Star Citizen, hide your ship purchases from the wife, or better still, don't be married!

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
On average yes. Sometimes 2, sometimes 0. Some directly claiming they come from ED in the chat, other after I ask them. Note : as there is very rare 30k now, I see less than 10 server per week.
Ok, then let´s have some fun with your challenge to Stuart:

But you should understand the difference between 'players' and 'active players' before counting to 12 millions (do you know I have an ED paid account ?). But for the refugee, I can't play one week without finding a new one arriving in the chat ingame (because I talk a lot with newbs), and servers have only 50 players. You want to do the stat ?
Let´s be generous and assume you are of course totally not exaggerating the figure of 1 per week ;) Let´s be also generous and asume each of the ones you have met in the past year are all different people.

Since you have willingly admitted multiple times that you play reasonably frequently, and you even proactively ask new players, let's assume then that you get to see most of the new "refugees" there is to meet in the servers you happen to join. I am assuming that the definition of a refugee means it has to be someone who plays SC reasonably frequently also; otherwise it is just a miss fire.. According to you that would be around 1 refugee per week. Let´s be generous and say that has actually happened since the end of May 2021 when EDO released to the end of May 2022, so that would be around 1 refugee x 56 week / year, so 56 refugees in total for the servers you have been in since then.

Now, let's assume an average 3000 concurrent player ballpark as per CIG info, and asume servers are close to full. That is 3000/50, so 60 servers up constantly or thereabouts. You could spread the player charge to a larger number of servers with less players each but then you would also need to reduce the assumption for refugees per server I came up with above. Let´s stay simple and asume all servers are full, so 60 servers up on average.

Let´s be generous and assume now that the 1 refugee per week that you see, also happens in every other server you are not in (that is on average, since I presume you are not always in the same server anyways). That´d be 56 x 60 = 3360 total refugees so far.

We saw some time ago how Liberum estimated the ED active player figure at around the 500,000 ballpark per month. There are probably more active players that take breaks of more than a month in between game sessions, but let´s be generous and assume that the definition of active player is locked to those who play at least once a month.

All that would lead to a grandious percentage of refugees of 3360 / 500,000 = 0.67% over active players. Or 0.028% over total units sold. Take your pick.

ae3.jpg

Seriously though, the "wave of refugees" narrative is as convenient for your position as it is weak, I am afraid. All the "data" we have about it is totally non biased anecdotal evidence. The reality of it is probably much simpler. If there were ED players somewhat interested in SC those would have for the most part probably already bought a SC package long ago, even before EDO (I am a case in point) over 10 frikking years. The "wave" if you can call it that, has been always there and happened naturally. What you are seeing now is just the diminishing returns and left over anecdotal personal evidence of the very natural process of players moving around games. Plenty of examples posted in this thread of other SC players moving or going back to ED too, so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ok, then let´s have some fun with your challenge to Stuart:
Oooook.
If you really want to try to do some stat on it (something I will not try because not enough datas) at least don't mess it up by missing some important datas.

Per week for me is not 7x24 hours of play. On average I play 10 hours per week so you should make the calculation on 10 hours and not 168 hours. Also me seeing 1 new ED player is not me finding 100% of the new ED players, you have to take into account those I miss. Use any ratio you want for it, but I only talk to those talking in the chat.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Oookkk.
If you really want to try to do some stat on it (something I will not try because not enough datas) at least don't mess it up by missing some important datas.

Per week for me is not 7x24 hours of play. On average I play 10 hours per week so you should make the calculation on 10 hours and not 168 hours. Also me seeing 1 new ED player is not me detecting 100% of the new ED players, you have to take into account those I miss. Use any ratio you want for it.

I covered that here:

Since you have willingly admitted multiple times that you play reasonably frequently, and you even proactively ask new players, let's assume then that you get to see most of the new "refugees" there is to meet in the servers you happen to join. I am assuming that the definition of a refugee means it has to be someone who plays SC reasonably frequently also; otherwise it is just a miss fire.

Lets be generous and assume that you are not underplaying your play time ;) With all the time you play, and with the proactiveness you state you actually go out of your way to look out for "refugees", I think it is a reasonable assumption that you should be able to pick up on most newbs coming through chat or face to face in game over the course of a week. Remember I was also generous and assumed that all the refugees you have met over a year are all different people, when there are also high chances you meet the same ones from time to time without realising. Plenty of evidence in this thread about people bumping into each other unintentionally. So one aspect could counter the other etc.

You can pick any other of my "generous" assumptions and turn it against you. All in all I think I actually stacked the numbers quite in your favour.

Even if we say you missed 1 or 2 refugees per week, we are still talking a few thousand refugees as order of magnitude. It still ridiculous compared to 500,000 active or 12 million units sold. Elite concurrency numbers have been holding solid at the same levels as before the FC update.

You data is purely anecdotal and personal, very biased to boot. The "wave" narrative does not really hold.

Last edited:
I covered that here:
Not at all, I only play 10 hours by week, not 168 and not all newbs talk in the chat. At least, try to do some decent calculation in your formulas. For sure, with this numbers to take into account, the result is less funny for you. 😅
Try to be honest and correct your formula.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Not at all, I only play 10 hours by week, not 168 and not all newbs talk in the chat. At least, try to do some decent calculation in your formulas. For sure, with this numbers to take into account, the result is less funny for you. 😅

Not sure you read what I wrote LA, if you are not ready to have a decent exchange then I must conclude you must be trolling. Here you have another chance to address it if you are really serious:

Lets be generous and assume that you are not underplaying your play time ;) With all the time you play, and with the proactiveness you state you actually go out of your way to look out for "refugees", I think it is a reasonable assumption that you should be able to pick up on most newbs coming through chat or face to face in game over the course of a week.

Remember I was also generous and assumed that all the refugees you have met over a year are all different people, when there are also high chances you meet the same ones from time to time without realising. Plenty of evidence in this thread about people bumping into each other unintentionally. So one aspect could counter the other etc.

You can pick any other of my "generous" assumptions and turn it against you. All in all I think I actually stacked the numbers quite in your favour.

But even if we say you missed 1 or 2 refugees per week, we are still talking a few thousand refugees as order of magnitude. It still ridiculous compared to 500,000 active or 12 million units sold. Elite concurrency numbers have been holding solid at the same levels as before the FC update.

OMG, wow, you guys won't believe this!!! A SC player started playing ED and likes it!!!? https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/vfm8j6 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/vfm8j6/i_was_wrong_about_ed/

Oh wait, it's normal for people to try other games and well-adjusted adults don't call themselves "refugees" because of it. Seriously, anyone who calls himself a refugee because they started playing a new computer game is a raging dingleberry. It started IIRC with everquest players and I wish Star citizen on all these gromblenifters and their goats.

Top Bottom