Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

EVE is single shard, whereas SC maybe, might, possibly achieve single shard (without separate instances) if dynamic meshing has enough global low latency (it won't)
Yeah, but it comes down to: can you attack that homestead at the time the owner said it will be there to defend it?

Further more… can you enter the area/system where that homestead is at that specific time? or did defenders logged all their alts and capped the server denying you the opportunity to do what you came to do 🤣

Not gonna lie. This man is a DEMI GOD.

To every space gamer and super fan: RECOGNIZE your inherent inferiority. Genuflect and permanently prostrate your unworthy mortal carcass before this cyber divinity

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfetLhpOvJw&t=495s

Just the cost of his customized game room alone..... o_O

That cockpit :love::love::love::love::love:

Those cooking appliances 🤤🤤🤤:love::love::love:

Don't matter what space franchise you rep. This man needs a thumbs up.

ps: the resale value of his property just shot up astronomically as well

I’m not sure what amazes me more, the room itself, how much he spent on the room, or that YouTube’s closed captioning system has gotten pretty good about translating these days…

When he dies of old age, he’ll not only have the Star Citzen alpha to pass on to his grandkids, but an awesome gaming room! :)

I kinda love the death stare Papy seems to give Tony at various points, and the way the big Z falters when looking back at him ;)

Possibly the only producer who doesn’t have a litany of absolutely deranged claims pegged to his name. (Although he is in charge of the PU, and does go along with all the ‘When Miracle X happens, then Y' narratives, so his shoes only look less clowny when sitting next to these guys ;))

Wasn't Papy the guy who said ToW would only take a small team a few months to develop?

Are you forgetting they will pretty much copy EVE?

EVE is a strategy game, much lower latency and network requirements, and they even slow the servers down when things get too busy. Its possible to do with EVE. Its questionable whether its possible with SC, and even CIG devs have backed off a long way from CRs initial claims of hundreds or thousands of people playing in the same area of space.

Wasn't Papy the guy who said ToW would only take a small team a few months to develop?
Nah, that was Sean Tracy...Todd Papy is the PU live content director. Given the excessive limitations placed on him in his current position...namely Chris Roberts removing most of the dev resources from the PU to waste on Sqn 404, I've always kinda liked him.

Last edited:
EVE is a strategy game, much lower latency and network requirements, and they even slow the servers down when things get too busy. Its possible to do with EVE. Its questionable whether its possible with SC, and even CIG devs have backed off a long way from CRs initial claims of hundreds or thousands of people playing in the same area of space.
"Questionable" is an understatement.

Nah, that was Sean Tracy...Todd Papy is the PU live content director. Given the excessive limitations placed on him in his current position...namely Chris Roberts removing most of the dev resources from the PU to waste on Sqn 404, I've always kinda liked him.
Yeah. Let's recap:
Mr R: the one who has words he doesn't know what they mean coming through his mouth quicker than he's able to think.
Mr Z: the one full o crazy ideas that he never manages to materialize, but that makes Mr R wet and horny, so it's good.
Mr T: the one who knows he's lying but paychecks keep flowing, so it's good
Mr P: the one who knows he's lying so his dead gaze says "please help me out of this hell but paychecks keep flowing so maybe I shouldn't complain so let's look like indifferent"

Last edited:
Ray’s Guide is back, and on the magic sauce…

asterix-magic-potion-drinks-mat-coaster-lsh--15081-p.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/vkkvpi Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/vkkvpi/i_talk_about_the_giant_asterix_with_server/

The 3 points of interest are:

• The replication layer will have to keep track all of the things, while also porting them between shards to follow the player. This is tricky to do, means persistence can’t be universal, and is liable to appear buggy (as things pop in and out of existence even when the associated player is not present).
  • Danny is worried that CIG will double player capacity per shard per quarter, exacerbating the bugginess. This is a very Danny concern…
  • Autocorrect is evil ;)

6f4uNts.jpg

Last edited:
Bunch of Mole's cow's special radioactive manure.

Nothing revolutionary about it. Have literally built applications running on a fully distributed DB with replication between US, UK and Australia, all while handling writes from multiple applications with a "replication layer" on top, which as have mentioned before is just an off the shelf clustered memcache. Which AWS already provides as a service with a single button click to setup.

The DB in question is Apache Cassandra, and it is literally designed to do exactly that.

Could CIG set this up and modify their game to handle their synchronisation with it? Yes. Can they do it? With their track record, no.

Will it allow them to have <10ms latency between client and server for a single query? Sure, as long as the server is local to the client, because light speed and all that.

Last edited:
Yeah. Let's recap:
(First two are top management so don't count)
Mr T: the one who knows he's lying but paychecks keep flowing, so it's good
Mr P: the one who knows he's lying so his dead gaze says "please help me out of this hell but paychecks keep flowing so maybe I shouldn't complain so let's look like indifferent"

Is there any paragon here nodding a head in moralistic agreement, who has never just taken the paychecks and shut up?

If so, there's a man at the Vatican who likes handing out sainthoods to homeless unemployed people :whistle:

Last edited:
Buying a finished game... with no ambition.
Supporting a beta game... with no ambition also.
Pledging to an alpha game... which is the sole to have really big ambitions and try to achieve them... yes.

Buying a finished game... with no ambition.
Supporting a beta game... with no ambition also.
Pledging to an alpha game... which is the sole to have really big ambitions and try to achieve them... yes.
So why haven't you bought an Idris in that case? Chucking $65 or so at the project is hardly a statement of intent to match such a lofty attitude, is it :rolleyes:

It's not an attitude worthy of repetition, far less admiration. Jorunn is one of those speshul cases...like Captain Richard... who flutter away on social media with their daily dreaming of playing the revered and respected investor. In reality, they're nothing more than petty golf club mentality fanboys with deep wallets...no different and certainly no better than the rest of us who've chucked a bit of coin into this dumpster fire over the last 10 years.

I'm not against people throwing money at this project, even as much as I've always strongly advised against it...but if it's their thing, so be it. I'm still one of them at the end of the day. What I take exception to is this clamouring for attention posing as the darlings of Star Citizen on social media...heaven knows, Jorunn and his Yacht club have taken some hearty abuse from me over the years because of it. Yet I'm still on his friends list for some reason, even after I dubbed him as the epitome of the stuffed space-whale 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So why haven't you bought an Idris in that case? Chucking $65 or so at the project is hardly a statement of intent to match such a lofty attitude, is it :rolleyes:
1 : it's a game, I place my money elsewhere, something useful for my children.

2 : CIG don't need my money, others give to CIG what they need to continue the development.

But if one day CIG is lacking funding, perhaps I might buy something for 100 €.

1 : it's a game, I place my money elsewhere, something useful for my children.

2 : CIG don't need my money, others give to CIG what they need to continue the development.

But if one day CIG is lacking funding, perhaps I might buy something for 100 €.
I repeat...so why even recite a golf club attitude you don't really believe in? I'll say it again, I've no objection to anyone supporting the project through personal choice, be it for $65 or $50,000...lording it over everyone else with the kind of attitude unique to SC space whales and dubbing everyone not compliant with that belief as ignorati is another thing entirely.

@Intrepid3D isn't a concierge level backer, not by a fair margin...yet he's supported the project through being an evocati tester since 2016, one of the first. Kinda quells the urban myth that ETF are all space whales, doesn't it?...Now that's a way to earn a nod of Star Citizen respect in my book.

Last edited:
Top Bottom