Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

This has got me confused. I don't play Star Citizen so I think I may have the wrong end of the stick. A race track sounds bloody brilliant. Why the snark?

I've been banging on about getting official racetrack in Elite for many years now. Flying thru canyons in Elite is fun, but a real racetrack needs direction markers and a way of keeping time

I mean, that stuff you fly under in the Star Citizen racetrack... they do trip timers as you pass under them don't they? They aren't just lumps of inert scenery? I mean if they don't why would you call it a racetrack?

The part you are missing is CIG have tried to do it in the past. Hyped it. Done ATVs about it. Then quietly dropped it, never to be spoken about again. Unless they need a filler for an eposide of ATV (or SCL or whatever)

I mean, that stuff you fly under in the Star Citizen racetrack... they do trip timers as you pass under them don't they? They aren't just lumps of inert scenery? I mean if they don't why would you call it a racetrack?
They are just lumps of inert scenery, afaik there's no in game timing etc. As with ED racing you need to go to external sites to find the rules etc.

I mean well done to CIG for adding some assets to it though.

Probably not, they are supposed to be parts of an abandoned mining base, I think CIG have just plonked stuff on the ground.

It's not snark, I am glad they have a race track, but note it took the players to find and set up their own race track, not CIG, they couldn't set one up at all, even after several attempts and announcements. This is purely and 100% a player driven effort, nothing to do with CIG who will probably now take the credit for setting it up!

This has got me confused. I don't play Star Citizen so I think I may have the wrong end of the stick. A race track sounds bloody brilliant. Why the snark?

I've been banging on about getting official racetrack in Elite for many years now. Flying thru canyons in Elite is fun, but a real racetrack needs direction markers and a way of keeping time

That's kind of the reason for the snark. It's CIG taking an already established player-created course, dropping a bunch of random obstacles into it, and calling it an official "race course." There's no game mechanics to transform it into a proper race course. So any races held there will have to have one player, the race organizer, who is willing to dedicate tons of their free time into reviewing the evidence of each race to determine an official winner. Without that player (or a group of players, depending upon the nature of the race) to officiate, that "race course" is simply an unusually shaped canyon with obstacles strewn randomly around it.

This is par for the course for CIG: they just keep building assets, and call it gameplay. As opposed to building the underlying game mechanics required for proper game play.

That's kind of the reason for the snark. It's CIG taking an already established player-created course, dropping a bunch of random obstacles into it, and calling it an official "race course." There's no game mechanics to transform it into a proper race course. So any races held there will have to have one player, the race organizer, who is willing to dedicate tons of their free time into reviewing the evidence of each race to determine an official winner. Without that player (or a group of players, depending upon the nature of the race) to officiate, that "race course" is simply an unusually shaped canyon with obstacles strewn randomly around it.

This is par for the course for CIG: they just keep building assets, and call it gameplay. As opposed to building the underlying game mechanics required for proper game play.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I shall now put down the wrong end of this stick and carry on snarking

It's a shame. An actual working racetrack would be something I'd give a big thumbs up to, and might have even persuaded me to open my wallet. After all... racetrack times are something that can survive a wipe even if the record of them are removed from the game

It seems a wasted opportunity, but then I guess such racetracks do involve a bit more work than just plonking down bits of scenery

That's kind of the reason for the snark. It's CIG taking an already established player-created course, dropping a bunch of random obstacles into it, and calling it an official "race course."
1 : CIG never called it an official track. They found out that the racer community use this track and added assets to make better to race. It's now an abandonned mine site instead of natural canyon. And they do a pretty good stuff about the placement of assets for making it more fun.

2 : the racer community love it

For info, the racers at the origin of the track.

on
And while you're at it, think about bringing actual space legs, as Kate shows in her latest video it can make for interesting scenarios:
Wow it's next level investigate mission here, I will love it.
It's also the first time a player can switch the gravity on/off. Really cool when Kate get in the ladder passage and arrive in a gravity zone again, falling like a stone 😂

Turbulent is making good content 👍

Yeah, ok, today's about the best time I can make this comment because things will start escalating very soon in the Elite setting...

One of the things I like to watch the most of Star Citizen is the commercials.
Lance Henriksen narrating the Misc Freelancer commercial is just... golden. I never tire of that.

Another commercial I really like is the one of Consolidated Outland revealing the Pioneer. I love the guy's drawl.
Now, the Pioneer is important; it's about base building. And if you look it 5m into the ad you'll see the actual reveal.
What I realized that it's a bit similar to the Panther Clipper concept appearing at a smidge over 5m into Elite's ship scale video released DEC-2021.
The Panther Clipper's thrusters have a similar vibe to the Pioneer - or is it the other way around?

It has been rumoured to be in the Odyssey season, but not at release -- as per Exigeous' leak video. The Panther Clipper is mentioned about 3¾m into that vid.

In the patch notes for Update 11 there's casually mentioned that "Small settlement landing pads schematics were enlarged to aid navigation and landing."
And for Update 12 notes it's mentioned that "The cargo loader found at settlements now has a schematic."

So those two hints, combined with the Building Schematics we have been looting since Odyssey's release, tell me that there's going to be base building in Elite.
And I'm also getting the impression that Frontier's going to release Theatres of War for about 20000+ star systems - only the inhabited ones, and in the Elite setting, obviously.

Kate's playthrough of a bespoke mission in Star Citizen looks cool. I can't wait to get my hands on, and play, Squadron 42.

Pretty sure that's how it used to be. I hated it. Felt like i was walking through molasses.
You can have slower movement without having molasses style - see Death Stranding for instance. What you mention is the 1st person camera used to wave and bob around with the character walking. Movement has always been "doom guy" style as it has always been the default from CryEngine.

It's also the first time a player can switch the gravity on/off.

I wouldn't say that ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/vgu76c Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/vgu76c/the_flying_beer/

More seriously, the bit where they tried to switch gravity back on but nothing happened seemed unintended. Throw in the bugged lift causing an accidental dead end (and the whole ship disappearing when they submitted the mission ;)), and it looks like it's a bit borked.

Turbulent is making good content 👍

Definitely very wise to use the Reclaimer for an Alien-esque setting. (It's not like it's good for anything else right now ;)). And to leverage existing functions for the puzzle elements. (Not their fault if they're a bit sketchy ;))

It's essentially an upgrade of the ancient Covalex PI mission. (Added in late late 2015, and naturally in a fairly buggy state these days).

Kind of speaks to CIG still walking in circles. But hey, it's something new-ish to do. And the assets do get prettier.

(Will be interesting to see how the combat variants play out. I'm genuinely not convinced that adding more NPCs to server load in this patch is a brilliant idea though.)

So those two hints, combined with the Building Schematics we have been looting since Odyssey's release, tell me that there's going to be base building in Elite.
And I'm also getting the impression that Frontier's going to release Theatres of War for about 20000+ star systems - only the inhabited ones, and in the Elite setting, obviously.

I wouldn't bet big on that happening any time soon. But the base building would be very funny, for sure ;)

More seriously, the bit where they tried to switch gravity back on but nothing happened seemed unintended. Throw in the bugged lift causing an accidental dead end (and the whole ship disappearing when they submitted the mission ;)), and it looks like it's a bit borked.

Did Kate really say she enjoyed the bugs because they added more challenge to the mission? That's one hell of a silver linings paintbrush she's got there

Top Bottom