Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Just thinking about this. I wonder if the faithful upon reading this will declare that FD don't know anything about game development.
NMS was released, but probably not started at the same time. Can't see how SC would be classified as "space exploration". Was it pitched as such? I mean there were supposed to be 100 systems. X4 released in 2018. Probably not as long in dev either. Can't really say what they meant.

Long term though, they are just accumulating more and more skeptics and SC becomes more spoken about outside /r/sc and spectrum in negative terms.

Like other organizations they dont care about the greater reputation as long as the core group brings in sufficient funds and allows the operation to continue. If its true that SC is attracting new whales then yes, they probably keep on going for another 8 years. I recon the core group of faithful is way below critical threshold tho thats why CIG was forced to take on additional investors and every whale turning away or giving up is more hurtful then the "possible" new whale coming in. Like in those other organizations recruitment and defense is taken over by the drones itself. Once you manage to build the foundation the whole thing becomes a self-runner. If this happened by accident or design is up for argument

I don't get involved in the fluff that surrounds Star Citizen. I believe CIG had a roadmap (once upon a time) that stated Squadron 42 would be in beta in 2020. That's the acid test for me, none of the circus activities cut any ice. Will (or can) CIG actually hit one of their own significant goals?

Granted 2020 isnt over yet but I dont see them coing true on that one. Willing to wait and see tho ^^ at least the beta for SQ42 isnt as open ended as SCs development in general ^^

Some players have more 30k than others. For me and a lot of my friends, it's a lot better. The last freefly, everyone had 30k...

My my such conviction when last freefly there were a lot of people who claimed they had NO 30Ks whatsoever or really stable sessions. There are very few people who I tend to believe when they make remarks about SCs gameplay or stability and for good reason. There are too many shills out there saying whatever to deflect and defend and trying to rewrite history like some others do isnt helping either. That beig said the people I tend to believe are actuallypro-supporters but not afraid to tell the truth either.

SC and Dual Universe were kickstarted and neither is released.
I see. I don't really bother much about KS projects until they show some meat. DU flew under my radar for a long time. Just now it seems to have something presentible.

There was a bit of a drought in space games until ED and SC went to popularly announce their development. Since then I've seen a lot - and I mean a lot - of space games being published. Not neccessarily spaceship sims - I mostly pine just for SciFi setting, spaceship isn't required in a good SciFi game.
All I need is the futuristic interstellar setting. Whether that gets populated by hot blue chicks in tight leather or clones or robots isn't so important. I value good gameplay ideas and humour
(Note: Humourous gameplay can include realistically modelled cluster bombs in hardcore simulations. Sometimes the boom is just the factor to consider - i have simple needs too.)

NMS was released, but probably not started at the same time. Can't see how SC would be classified as "space exploration". Was it pitched as such? I mean there were supposed to be 100 systems. X4 released in 2018. Probably not as long in dev either. Can't really say what they meant.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen , then Ctrl + F "explor":
  • Exploration Skin
  • Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers
  • A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish
  • A huge universe to explore, trade and adventure in
  • It will be a constantly shifting and evolving place for players to explore and affect
  • MISC Freelancer ready to fly (High-end ship focused more for trade and exploration)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals , then Ctrl + F "explor":
  • Hibernation Mode: for the explorers out there, we will add the ability to save and resume while you are out in space. When not in combat, power your ship down, hit the bunk, and exit the game safely until you can resume your journey.
  • Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer...
  • Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is...
  • The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years

That's only Kickstarter and 2013 stuff, there's more added on funding goals in 2014.

Last edited:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen , then Ctrl + F "explor":
  • Exploration Skin
  • Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers
  • A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish
  • A huge universe to explore, trade and adventure in
  • It will be a constantly shifting and evolving place for players to explore and affect
  • MISC Freelancer ready to fly (High-end ship focused more for trade and exploration)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals , then Ctrl + F "explor":
  • Hibernation Mode: for the explorers out there, we will add the ability to save and resume while you are out in space. When not in combat, power your ship down, hit the bunk, and exit the game safely until you can resume your journey.
  • Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer...
  • Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is...
  • The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years

That's only Kickstarter and 2013 stuff, there's moreadded on funding goals in 2014.
Now consider they havent even managed to make two servers talk to each other. But who needs that anyway when SQ42 is about to release. Right now they hand-colorize all the greybox and whitebox levels Zyloh has played.

Granted 2020 isnt over yet but I dont see them coing true on that one. Willing to wait and see tho ^^ at least the beta for SQ42 isnt as open ended as SCs development in general ^^
Im not into speculation, but i'll give my hunch on this. CR seems to have been set aside since about end of 2019 (date of his last video appearance - could have been recorded prior, who knows). One possible theory is the new investors have taken over and are going "Freelancer" (the game, not the ship) and have shifted, this time for real, all effort onto SQ42, and probably removed all extra fluff from it in order to have that infamous MVP. I doubt they can show much at all before end of 2020 though that would be about 1 year of development, as I strongly suspect they did absolutely nothing before that apart from 3D assets and mocap (and a few scripted demos, but these were machinimas not the real thing).. That's if, and a big "if", these investors have any kind of common sense of reality, and have seen the whole thing from top to bottom. But again, CR not appearing on any video for that long is so highly suspect...

Im not into speculation, but i'll give my hunch on this. CR seems to have been set aside since about end of 2019 (date of his last video appearance - could have been recorded prior, who knows). One possible theory is the new investors have taken over and are going "Freelancer" (the game, not the ship) and have shifted, this time for real, all effort onto SQ42, and probably removed all extra fluff from it in order to have that infamous MVP. I doubt they can show much at all before end of 2020 though that would be about 1 year of development, as I strongly suspect they did absolutely nothing before that apart from 3D assets and mocap (and a few scripted demos, but these were machinimas not the real thing).. That's if, and a big "if", these investors have any kind of common sense of reality, and have seen the whole thing from top to bottom. But again, CR not appearing on any video for that long is so highly suspect...
He absolved himself, took the money and ran.

It took 2 years for Microsoft to take what CIG had made with Freelancer and make a minimum viable product for release.

Games these days are an order of magnitude more complex than they were back then.

Assuming someone else has been pulling the strings for the last year or so, is it possible they could get a SC MVP release with another year or so? I suspect not, since we can see what they have to date.

I love the typical hardly contained inner disappointment and the struggle to carefully not pique the fanbase.

Wait... Around 8:38 mark he says he's doing a podcast with Bootcha as guest this saturday, can't wait!!!

Ah! That's what happens when you don't watch the last couple of mins of a video.

Will have to listen to that one.

Maybe Bootcha will drop a hint as to when the next Sunk Cost Galaxy will be released. At this rate he's rivaling CIG for the speed of development!

Where's the roadmap for the roadmap for SCG Bootcha!

It took 2 years for Microsoft to take what CIG had made with Freelancer and make a minimum viable product for release.

Games these days are an order of magnitude more complex than they were back then.

Assuming someone else has been pulling the strings for the last year or so, is it possible they could get a SC MVP release with another year or so? I suspect not, since we can see what they have to date.

I can just imagine how the "investor" meeting would have gone:

CIG: "Yeah, well we can crunch together a game, it'll be cut down from all the things Chris promised over the years..It will be a nightmare to get through the technical debt.. but if we get a release out the door we can sell it for $60 a unit which won't cover the server costs"

Investor: "ok and who is going to buy that?"

CIG: "Most space games typically peek at 2m unit sales but we think most of those have already backed the game"

Investor: "ok and what about all these space ships that people buy..eh pledge.. and try-out in the Alpha?"

CIG: "Yeah we charge anything from the price of a single video game unit to thousands and thousands of dollars for those, we can throw those out in a few weeks and then just push some assets into the game a year or so down the line. For example we put these motorcycle designs together one week and we were immediatly taking $30 a pop for them a few days later, they ain't in the game and we don't even have to work on them ...just so long as people continue to think they are coming one day."

Investor: "$$ let's make more of those moneyz yes? $$"

Last edited:
And as far as I remember it was not really playable even on decent gaming PC of that time....

Can't quite remember the specs required, but we were poor students at the time and the only guy that could run it was the guy with the most expensive comp. It was like most who had PCs were on 386s and it required a 486/DX2 or something. I was still on an Amiga at that point.

Back
Top Bottom