Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

there is the one famous system in ED where a moon is orbiting ridiculously fast. i went a saw it. but it is a curiosity for me. nothing really meaningful.

most of the time with the orbits i would notice some planets and moons shifting around. but didnt really make any difference.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, as AA says, star systems location with respect to each other wouldn’t move noticeably at all for the lifespan of the game. With a few exceptions you need rather in the order of hundreds of years to see changes in a location sky constellations. Whereas planet orbits and rotations are indeed much more noticeable and impact the game directly. That station you are trying to land on avoiding awkward interdictions is now much further out than last time and takes longer to reach, that system you are trying to jump or escape to is now occluded by a planet, eclipses and other configurations are actually possible and even predictable for explorers making some of those literally unique etc etc etc.

But, whether you care for that or not is not the real issue here. The real issue is that, even though CIG has often claimed SC is “the best at fidelity” (wether you care for that or not) and the “best space sim”, it would seem their technology is not good enough to achieve this level of fidelity simulating space celestial bodies (and related player free control navigation) in a space game.

Last edited:
there is the one famous system in ED where a moon is orbiting ridiculously fast. i went a saw it. but it is a curiosity for me. nothing really meaningful.

most of the time with the orbits i would notice some planets and moons shifting around. but didnt really make any difference.

So you never landed at a volcanic site in the dark and waited for sunrise, that was one of the most amazing things I have experienced in games, the dynamic change in the behaviour of the volcanic field (ice moon) as the sun started heating the ground was incredible, that's something you will not experience in SC...well unless they implement orbits....

Yeah, as AA says, star systems location with respect to each other wouldn’t move noticeably at all for the lifespan of the game. With a few exceptions you need rather in the order of hundreds of years to see changes in a location sky constellations. Whereas planet orbits and rotations are indeed much more noticeable and impact the game directly. That station you are trying to land on avoiding awkward interdictions is now much further out than last time and takes longer to reach, that system you are trying to jump or escape to is now occluded by a planet, eclipses and other configurations are actually possible and even predictable for explorers making some of those literally unique etc etc etc.

But, whether you care for that or not is not the real issue here. The real issue is that, even though CIG has often claimed SC is “the best at fidelity” (wether you care for that or not) and the “best space sim”, it would seem their technology is not good enough to achieve this level of fidelity simulating space celestial bodies in a space game.
Orbital mechanics isnt a feature every game needs. Just like trash littering the floor isnt - makes sense in Viscera Cleanup sim but not in open world sandbox.

although i guess that would be one thing i sometimes dont like about SC. the rotations are so fast it makes a day/night cycle very short. so if you are out in a prospector mining. could chance even you start somewhere in the "morning" it will hit night time before you fill up.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Orbital mechanics isnt a feature every game needs. Just like trash littering the floor isnt - makes sense in Viscera Cleanup sim but not in open world sandbox.
Hence my “wether you care or not” comment. Plus other games don’t have an issue not having it, but those don’t claim “highest fidelity”. I just find it extremely funny a space game that sells itself as having the most fidelity in space games has significant limitations in portraying space body motion fidelity.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
you dont need orbits for sunrises. just rotation. which sc has.

that is the only game play loop for plenty of people. screen shots of sunsets.
Day night stuff is just but a tiny part of the system though. That station you are trying to land on avoiding awkward interdictions is now much further out than last time and takes longer to reach, that system you are trying to jump or escape to is now occluded by a planet, eclipses and other configurations are actually possible and even predictable for explorers making some of those literally unique etc etc etc. And I can navigate and steer my ship freely among all that, not just constrained to forced, arbitrary and without control, quantum paths.

The net effect of all that huge fidelity is not only in the impacted actual gameplay as shown above but also in unrivaled immersion. In my case at least.

Last edited:
Yeah, as AA says, star systems location with respect to each other wouldn’t move noticeably at all for the lifespan of the game. With a few exceptions you need rather in the order of hundreds of years to see changes in a location sky constellations.

Sure, if your perspective is from earth.

I dont think this holds true for a system 5 light years from center of the galaxy.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Sure, if your perspective is from earth.

I dont think this holds true for a system 5 light years from center of the galaxy.
With a few exceptions it would mostly hold true for the vast majority of the galaxy though. Wether you want a game’s fidelity to go to the 30th decimal or not could be an interesting debate but either way I reckon Elites in this case is pretty good and orders of magnitude better than SC, for sure.

Just a spelling mistake and a facial expression, but this made me chortle:
85048920-4389-42A3-B5FA-0C05A7A1AFB4.jpeg

(A “wether” is a castrated ram 😬)

Hence my “wether you care or not” comment. Plus other games don’t have an issue not having it, but those don’t claim “highest fidelity”. I just find it extremely funny a space game that sells itself as having the most fidelity in space games has significant limitations in portraying space body motion fidelity.
I always understood SC's idea of fidelity is to anally fixate on gfx like AAA does.

you dont need orbits for sunrises. just rotation. which sc has.

that is the only game play loop for plenty of people. screen shots of sunsets.

True that indeed, my error, what you can't have in SC is tidal locking........so that's one thing, oh and eclipses, sat through a few of those as well, but no orbit, no eclipses, and colliding moons, although I am sure that's a plus for ED rather than a thing that happens due to the sim not being accurate enough, oh well, the next versions will fix that.......

Back
Top Bottom