Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I'm not sure who's technically right, but I'm guessing that the instance that is generated when arriving at a station or fleet carrier as a whole could be static with the rest of the system now using the player's position as the center to calculate the motion of celestial objects. I'm not sure if that's a viewport, or even correct? Though I will say that if you think about it, having the concourse in a rotating Coriolis station is pretty neat as I imagine that's calculated in a similar way that the interior of a moving ship would be, no?
For that kind of thing they can just instantiate both areas and have multiple cameras, since they don't need to interact. The effect looks way more complicated than it is.

Warframe does that too for its ships, the "outside" is rendered from a camera in a hidden skybox nearby. You could break into that skybox and place cosmetics close to where the camera is and they'd appear comically huuuge outside the ship due to the camera FoV.

I've no idea how your reply relates to "diverse", or any chud-like community's interpretations of it.
Least of all the SC community which demonstrably implodes whenever someone mentions the catastrophic-event of a rainbow paintjob.

My dear GT - my only interpretation of diverse is how I understand it mathematically, which is points in a metric space of elements which are, surprisingly, diverse.

As in they are not the same as each other, but there is no difference between those which are the same. Delivered games by CI-G remain at a flat and constant zero. There is no divergent possible there.

The tree of woe has nothing on my Christmas Cactus of Disappointment.

Ten years of not flowering even once, it just sits around making new bud leaf segment things and giggling at me. I wonder if there are any other projects that have taken up my time and attention for a decade and not delivered even a single thing it promised?
Here ya go
cactusflower.jpg

For that kind of thing they can just instantiate both areas and have multiple cameras, since they don't need to interact. The effect looks way more complicated than it is.

Warframe does that too for its ships, the "outside" is rendered from a camera in a hidden skybox nearby. You could break into that skybox and place cosmetics close to where the camera is and they'd appear comically huuuge outside the ship due to the camera FoV.
I think that's why it would be best for supercruise as ships don't get close enough to warrant that sort of effect. The only issue would at that point be artificial gravity, but I would say that the current handwave of magnetic boots would work there too, though I would be happier if we discovered some Guardian/Thargoid gravity manipulation tech. When it comes to concourses in Elite though, the inside/outside is in the same instance as it's possible to use ships to glitch onfoot players in and out of the concourse.

I'm not sure who's technically right, but I'm guessing that the instance that is generated when arriving at a station or fleet carrier as a whole could be static with the rest of the system now using the player's position as the center to calculate the motion of celestial objects. I'm not sure if that's a viewport, or even correct? Though I will say that if you think about it, having the concourse in a rotating Coriolis station is pretty neat as I imagine that's calculated in a similar way that the interior of a moving ship would be, no?

It is neat, but i think its handled with smoke and mirrors.

Nope. We made the list with people who play SC rather than Elite. Your statement is not true, simple as that. If you care, feel free to search this thread for the spreadsheet (it's in Polish though).
Show us this obsolete list you talk about, I'm sure it's full of diverses actions that consist of one click on a menu 😁

Some exemple of what I call diversity of action in SC
I was doing a bounty assessment contract over Microtech when my shields went down.
The pirates blew off one of my wings and I started to spiral out of control because I was no longer aerodynamic. Then they blew off the other and I realized that I could not get away, so I aimed towards the ground and impacted it in a crash landing. Then I bailed out and got a safe distance from the ship and the pirates blew it up. Next, I tried to arrange a ride off of the planet Microtech, but because it was an ice planet I was developing hypothermia, and I have 15 minutes to live. Finally, I found someone who was in the area, but the pirates were still flying around. He arrived in a Hercules Starlifter, which is a beefy cargo hauler, and tried to shoot down the pirates. We were running out of time though, so he had to land and get me on board as I had 3 minutes left. He landed about 100 meters away, and I began to hobble towards him as my vision blurred and everything was going black. I got on board, but because I was already so far gone, my condition was still terminal, and I needed a med bed. By pure luck he had a Pisces in his hanger, which is basically an ambulance, and as I had 30 seconds left, I made my way into it, and as I was passing out lay on the med bed. I immediately regained consciousness, and realized that my injuries were too great to be treated, so I told the pilot I needed to get to a hospital. He decided to take me to the Brentworth Care Facility, which was equipped enough to handle the tier two injuries on my arms and legs. On the way, the med bed was able to stabilize my condition, and I no longer had hypothermia, but because I was out for so long, I still had repercussions. For some reason, though, the pilot landed me about 200 meters in front of the garage. I decided to hobble my way into the New Babbage interstellar spaceport terminal and took the MT Hyperloop to the hospital. I hobbled up and got a room. I survived.

Star citizen may be buggy, but that experience is not possible in pretty much any other game.
Source

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Show us this obsolete list you talk about, I'm sure it's full of diverses actions that consist of one click on a menu 😁
As I said, it is somewhere in this thread. I'm not really interested in proving anything to you or anyone, if you're that curious do the digging yourself.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
No need to bother @rootsrat, let me show you Star Citizen´s extremely diverse actions list, also full of glorious fidelity to boot:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/mamg00/the_future_of_gaming/

Note: Colors may be a bit off, but Science is probably a reasonably educated guess as that gameplay does not even exist yet.

Last edited:
As I said, it is somewhere in this thread. I'm not really interested in proving anything to you or anyone, if you're that curious do the digging yourself.
I'm not curious, I know there is more diverse missions/actions to do in SC than in ED and it was true even before salvaging/repairing, the new racing gameplay, the new missions added every last patches and the refueling (all of this that should be absent in this old spreadsheet).

My dear GT - my only interpretation of diverse is how I understand it mathematically, which is points in a metric space of elements which are, surprisingly, diverse.

As in they are not the same as each other, but there is no difference between those which are the same. Delivered games by CI-G remain at a flat and constant zero. There is no divergent possible there.
They aren't diverse - they are infinite.

The sort of ship interrior you describe doesn't allow some of the main interesting aspects of ship interior in SC : charging by hand the cargo in the ship, managing the parking of vehicles in the cargo, boarding a ship in PvP with an open cargo door... It's a lot of fun and one of the strongest aspects of immersion in SC. Doing of those actions naturally (without teleport) is what makes the game special.

At the end of the day, the main difference between ED's and SC's "promises" (depending on where you stand on how valid those "promises" are), is FD mainly developed ED on their own buck and after release, all other money came through sales of a released product. On the other hand, SC is still selling new "promises", while having not delivered on most of their earlier promises, but still running off "pledges" from backers, rather than sales of an actual released product.

Again, we can quibble of what is release, are pledges donations or sales, etc., but the difference is stark.
Your imagination is the limit as long as its someone else's money funding it. Once the money stops, suddenly the project comes to a halt, Hyperloop, Mars One.
Oh, they totally run on sales. But they never fully delivered on these sales. Despite telling the opposite. Same game - a bunch of conflicting statements and people give up on their money.
But most people find it more fun than any other games out there and that's the most important thing.
So, basically, different flight modes that affect how the ship handles.... well, that's certain never been done before.

Anyway, off to play a bit of X4 with its totally different and not at all master mode flight models 🤣

I wonder if CIG will ever get bored of reinventing the wheel?

To misquote Winston Churchill: "You can always rely on CIG to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else."
All immination and no originality. Well maybe coming up with new names and terms.
I understand that, but it's a job like anything else and burn out is the same. And believe it or not, what may seem like a dream job because you're streaming your favorite video game can become more problematic if you start to burn out over it. At least with a "regular" day job you can go and play that favorite video game to de-stress from it, but if it's also your job? The whole "Do what you love for a living and you'll never work a day in your life" thing is a bit of a false promise. I also think it explains some youtubers who turn to the darkside as it were and become agents of opposition to the thing that they were initially passionate about, especially when they think things aren't moving the way they think they should. Which itself can be fueled by a overblown feeling of being a participant in the development process, rather than an observer.
I think it's to do with expectations. If he's playing SC for the fun of it like "Do what you love for a living and you'll never work a day in your life" and expecting mroe gameplay frm SC than it offers (even though it has more diverse actions than ED) then he could easily switch to another game when he's burned out and come back later. We all do it, I don't think anyone here plays only one game exclusively. If he's doing it for youtube revenues however, its definitely a job and if that revenue is not is not meeting his expectations or basics expenses, playing a game he's frustrated with will get worst fast. He's complaining like someone made him do it, his life, his choice, he controls everything in that scenario, no sympathy from me.

Your last sentence hint at his parasocial relationship with SC/CIG, a relationship he's not happy in, possibly an abusive rlationship. Trust me I'm an internet talking person.

Nope. We made the list with people who play SC rather than Elite. Your statement is not true, simple as that. If you care, feel free to search this thread for the spreadsheet (it's in Polish though).

::EDIT:: Unless you're counting the 80% of the missing game that "will be implemented one day" :ROFLMAO:
Chris Roberts said its already in game so they definitely count.

The sort of ship interrior you describe doesn't allow some of the main interesting aspects of ship interior in SC : charging by hand the cargo in the ship, managing the parking of vehicles in the cargo, boarding a ship in PvP with an open cargo door... It's a lot of fun and one of the strongest aspects of immersion in SC. Doing of those actions naturally (without teleport) is what makes the game special.
That does appeal rather than cargo just being another menu abstract. However, SC has such big ‘work in progress’ signs all over it that I’ll continue to stick with games that at least pretend to be finished before raising millions.

That does appeal rather than cargo just being another menu abstract. However, SC has such big ‘work in progress’ signs all over it that I’ll continue to stick with games that at least pretend to be finished before raising millions.
Star Citizen is like life.
Life is a work in progress, once its done, its dead.
No more dreams and hopes, all potentials comes to a sudden halt and we are left with the bones of what could have been.

Back
Top Bottom