Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

30K joke video on the sc reddit.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hk5fy6/when_i_try_to_play_star_citizen/

If you dig down you will see the inevitable dig at ED, because you need to compare to something you think is crap to make SC look good in comparison :D

Also, for some reason, the mods have stickied this thread...

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hjkja0/they_should_consider_adding_a_singleplayer/

Can't help but laugh at the "Star Citizen has stopped working. Windows is reporting the problem to Microsoft"

I can just imagine their reaction 😀

Heard from Sean Tracy and Tony Z today.

Based on what we knew going into the week, and some of the work we did on Alpha 3.8, we felt we could handle the near-term load during the event, but we underestimated the sheer number of people logging in to play. The reality is that we’ve known that our first-generation backend tech (that is rife with singletons) and inefficient data formats and usage patterns (on the client/server side) would have scalability challenges beyond a certain number of users. That’s why, for the last couple of years, we’ve had the Backend Team furiously working to remedy these issues, with the first fruits of those labors due to arrive in Q4 2020. The major mistake on our side was that we thought that our first-gen tech could hold out for another few quarters. In addition, we didn’t realize the impact that the first version of long-term persistence, activated in Alpha 3.8.1, would have on the size of the database fetches as we scaled up to unprecedented numbers of players. Since we don’t reset all player accounts with each new patch (unless we have to), and we don’t currently have limits on the number of items people can have, many players had thousands of items versus just a few dozen. The player load and the interim solutions for persistence all resulted in a perfect storm, causing server issues for a number of players.

No expert here but I say it'd been better to think it through before doing.

Unsuitable first generation tech for a game that is meant to handle thousands of players.... 8 years in.

What an absoloute embarrasment.

Perhaps they should have focused on getting the tech right when the decided they were making a massive online game.

.... It's a patched-together Cryengine mod that tries and work around its own limitations, with disastrous side effects that will never be fixed, in any way...

I think that this is a very real concern. My hope is that without the Master of Meddling in charge that the technical leads can get on doing what they know needs to be done, and doing it correctly. The obvious problem would be if they have to rip out too much of what's already been done, is there the time, money and will to rework. Or does the horse have a broken leg?

E: and 'hilariously' and few posts down I find...

...first-generation backend tech (that is rife with singletons) and inefficient data formats and usage patterns ... the Backend Team furiously working to remedy these issues... due to arrive in Q4 2020.

...time to call the vet?

As an aside, does anyone believe any delivery date given by CIG any more?

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

“we didn’t realize the impact that the first version of long-term persistence, activated in Alpha 3.8.1, would have on the size of the database fetches as we scaled up to unprecedented numbers of players.”

The game is so successful that it is perceived as bad.

“we didn’t realize the impact that the first version of long-term persistence, activated in Alpha 3.8.1, would have on the size of the database fetches as we scaled up to unprecedented numbers of players.”

A simple simulation would probably have shown it. Also "long-term persistence", lol. "Short term" persistence isn't really persistent, or is it? Persistence IMPLIES long term. They are talking out their very rears.

For "years" the Backend team have been working "furiously" to fix the issues.

You see, I don't think this should take years. It is likely due to trying to duct-tape things falling apart instead of designing it properly from the start. "Furiously" my rear cleavage.

Just another example of CIG not having a clue about what they are trying to do or what they need to do in order to make the game they want.

Just another example of CIG not having a clue about what they are trying to do or what they need to do in order to make the game they want.
and a couple of sessions in Eve Online would have taught them, or even reading a few trade articles on their backend SQL architecture, which used to be cutting edge (I've not seen what they're using recently - probably migrated to cloud?).

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
If only. I think it is much worst than that. I would place as much faith in CIGs account of actual player numbers as I would with their citizen or pledge counters. Never mind acknowkedge it as the main reason for the current mess. The thing seems to be fundamentally broken irrespective of any alleged player numbers.

So they're basically sailing without neither a map nor a sextant, the captain can't help but change the destination constantly, and sailors are rowing in every directions at once all the while plugging the leaks of the inflatable boat with their toes.

Never done before. Can't fail.
There is no captain. But they are measuring regardless, since it pays the wages.

You can stop, turn your ship around and quantum back or quantum to another location. For arbitrary locations, there is an astroid belt between the orbits of arccorp and crusader. If you time it right you can stop there.
BDSSE! 🤣 🤣

Back
Top Bottom