Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Hijack_Photo_010201.jpg
If this comment does not get at least fifty likes, I will lose faith in humanity.

400+ upvotes on Spectrum

Morale at its lowest? Here CIG, have some historical record breaking sales!

That was a fun read.

I especially liked the one where someone says it doesn't help the white knights coming in giving condescending lectures when people are critical of the game... then ChatJ3PT comes in and responds with a condescending lecture. Priceless.

Whatever happened to that other Space based MMO where they were claiming high player in the same instance numbers?

Depends on which game you are talking about. Dual Universe? I think its still going and can handle a lot of players in the same instance, but it basically turned out to be a rubbish game.

Or perhaps Star Atlas, the crypto-based space game. That one is still very much alpha, not much released except some basic playable module(s) that could be done by any half-decent development team with a few months of work.

Depends on which game you are talking about. Dual Universe? I think its still going and can handle a lot of players in the same instance, but it basically turned out to be a rubbish game.

Or perhaps Star Atlas, the crypto-based space game. That one is still very much alpha, not much released except some basic playable module(s) that could be done by any half-decent development team with a few months of work.
Yep, it was Dual Universe, cheers for that.

Shame that turned out to be rubbish.

From that Spectrum thread:

It's a difficult pill to swallow but perhaps we (the backers) have fostered the wrong goals for CIG. We have over the years invested in ship sales instead of content.

Umm.. backers actually invested in content (and ships!), to the tune of 65 million during the stretch goals. CIG just failed to deliver on most of that content for the announced required investment.

Yep, it was Dual Universe, cheers for that.

Shame that turned out to be rubbish.

Yeah, check out player numbers on Steam (note, no idea what % of players don't have the Steam version, i think early backers of the game don't have a steam version)

Peak players last 30 days was... 15.

Somehow i don't think you need fancy server tech to handle 15 players.

"Coming at this Citcon mount your Idris now, ride your Idris through the ever expanding verse of diverse planets and systems. Trade, fill your Idris with loads of cargo, shoot stuff in and at your Idris in a never done before Idris game play. Be the first to play with your Idris at Citcon, hold the line, buy the ticket, keep on funding."

Edit: also ram your Idris into another Idris.

Last edited:
"Coming at this Citcon mount your Idris now, ride your Idris through the ever expanding verse of diverse planets and systems. Trade, fill your Idris with loads of cargo, shoot stuff in and at your Idris in a never done before Idris game play. Be the first to play with your Idris at Citcon, hold the line, buy the ticket, keep on funding."

Edit: also ram your Idris into another Idris.
And with one fell post Ed02350 turns the Star Citizen thread into Idris Elba fan fic [redacted].

Well? What happens next? Keep typing man!

Dual Universe is hanging on via subcription (iirc).
When does CitCon happen ?

Can't wait to see some of the faithful lapping it up. ;)

One has to wonder if, in some far distant future, SC reaches 1.0/gold release/not alpha status, and they keep their promise to stop selling ships post-release (hahaha), if they will make playing SC subscription based (even though they said it wouldn't require a subscription).

One has to wonder if, in some far distant future, SC reaches 1.0/gold release/not alpha status, and they keep their promise to stop selling ships post-release (hahaha), if they will make playing SC subscription based (even though they said it wouldn't require a subscription).
I know right. I just can't figure out how they'll keep all their servers running if they release their game. Maybe it wouldn't be called a subcription but a "Golden Access Ticket" where you get immediate entry into the server, people who don't pay has to wait in and gets the laggier net code?

And with one fell post Ed02350 turns the Star Citizen thread into Idris Elba fan fic [redacted].

Well? What happens next? Keep typing man!
You're going to have to buy BDSSE Erotica series I'm releasing, it'll be like Twilight + Fifty Shades of Grey in space. Still working on the title, "700 million Shades of Scam" is high on the list. "Of Handbags, Yachts and Fidelity" is a close second, my favorite so far though is "Three Years Stale".

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

DU meshing was/is also largely a failure when it comes to growing number of concentrating players and their original promise of miraculously large numbers of players in the same area seamlessly interacting... Desynchs, rubberbanding, disconnects etc galore. There is a reason why you haven’t seen many DU videos portraying “mass battles” or dissertations about how successful DU network architecture is.

At least to their credit NovaQuark tried to build the game from the ground up around their (admittedly not very successful) network tech and not the other way round like SC.

Last edited:
Locked in 90 minutes

Checks out. Chris Roberts does have a history of treating publishers that way.

"It's really quite sad to see things in the state that they are.
CIG really do appear to have lost their way."
Back in 2016/2017 I remember people here being skeptical and warning about Chris Robert's history of developing games and get dismissed by fans. I don't think they've lost their ways but showed their true color.

Weird exchange between J3PT and another poster about OP projecting and not speaking for community. But when someone "agree with their (OP) sentiment" that's not OP representing the community?

Funny, OP used "soul-crushing" and the first reply is SoulSingerTheSneakThief.
Now that CIG has an AI department my conspiracy theory of SoulSinger being AI chat bot is one step closer.

Back
Top Bottom