Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

From the leaks discord, Evocati is being reorganised/reprioritised:

Greetings Avos! We are going to be employing a new system to test complex features and gameplay. Temporary strike groups will be formed based on the specific needs of individual features, with those groups having limited access to builds dedicated to the feature being tested. Strike groups are created out of your patterns of participation during regular Evocati. For groups that require just players in the build, we will pull from those of you who have played the most. If we need detailed bug reporting, we will grab those with the most participation in issue council. Strike groups will use temporary Discord servers and invites will be sent via e-mail. We hope to start using these very soon, so keep an eye out!

I guess those Evocati got complacent once they gained access to the club. Not they'll have to compete with each other for testing privileges.

Oh wow, I just heard that CIG was opening their sixth studio.

I mean, it's nice to hear that they're making content, but as it stands now who knows when we will get to actually see that content. We can't get more planets or star systems in the Star Citizen MMO until the devs figure out their magic server meshing tech (which they said they had a working prototype of in Spring 2019, but I will believe it when I see it). And it seems that the SQ42 singleplayer game keeps getting rebooted. So who knows.

I wonder if devs from the now closed Bioware Montreal studio will hop on over.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this isn't that big news. I mean, the amount of content you can create is still limited by the number of assets there are. I don't think anyone wants 50 more moons using the same basic hab prefabs we've seen in Stanton. So unless they've built up a huge stockpile of assets we haven't seen yet, or they have another studio churning out new assets and tilesets... I don't know.

Hahaha

Last edited:
From the leaks discord, Evocati is being reorganised/reprioritised:

Greetings Avos! We are going to be employing a new system to test complex features and gameplay. Temporary strike groups will be formed based on the specific needs of individual features, with those groups having limited access to builds dedicated to the feature being tested. Strike groups are created out of your patterns of participation during regular Evocati. For groups that require just players in the build, we will pull from those of you who have played the most. If we need detailed bug reporting, we will grab those with the most participation in issue council. Strike groups will use temporary Discord servers and invites will be sent via e-mail. We hope to start using these very soon, so keep an eye out!

Strike groups! Wow! That sounds amazeballs!

Also, call me cynical, but this sounds like partitioning of new features and feedback... which may be good, but also a way to reduce leaks. Smaller groups testing individual things, easier to track who might be leaking.

I can see a new career arising out of this -- the undertaker! Not a necessity, a choice! Emergent gameplay at its finest!

Of course, to do that well, a new ship would be needed. Let's call it "Bodysnatcher," or, to cater to those with more refined tastes, "Resurrection Man*." Oh, the fidelity! The ship comes with a morgue, of course, and lots of freezers to contain dead bodies. Necessarily, it needs firepower (to generate those bodies)...

*I'm not PC. Never have been, never will. If somebody wishes to complain about that, write your concerns on high-denomination bills and send 'em my way. ;)

I mean, it's nice to hear that they're making content, but as it stands now who knows when we will get to actually see that content. We can't get more planets or star systems in the Star Citizen MMO until the devs figure out their magic server meshing tech (which they said they had a working prototype of in Spring 2019, but I will believe it when I see it). And it seems that the SQ42 singleplayer game keeps getting rebooted. So who knows.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this isn't that big news. I mean, the amount of content you can create is still limited by the number of assets there are. I don't think anyone wants 50 more moons using the same basic hab prefabs we've seen in Stanton. So unless they've built up a huge stockpile of assets we haven't seen yet, or they have another studio churning out new assets and tilesets... I don't know.

Hahaha
Turbulent? They didn't "open" that studio, they outsourced the job to another company.

I can see a new career arising out of this -- the undertaker! Not a necessity, a choice! Emergent gameplay at its finest!

Of course, to do that well, a new ship would be needed. Let's call it "Bodysnatcher," or, to cater to those with more refined tastes, "Resurrection Man*." Oh, the fidelity! The ship comes with a morgue, of course, and lots of freezers to contain dead bodies. Necessarily, it needs firepower (to generate those bodies)...

*I'm not PC. Never have been, never will. If somebody wishes to complain about that, write your concerns on high-denomination bills and send 'em my way. ;)
That is a bit weird. Kinda niche. People would rather play "Trauma Team" I imagine and store bodies for spare parts. That'd be business!

Strike groups! Wow! That sounds amazeballs!

Also, call me cynical, but this sounds like partitioning of new features and feedback... which may be good, but also a way to reduce leaks. Smaller groups testing individual things, easier to track who might be leaking.

In other words, they shut down the evocati. Didn't those guys pay for the privilege?

Don't let this man distract you from the fact that in 2020, The Undertaker threw a player off an Idris, and clipped 16 ft through the terrain.

Hahaha

It could prove even more amusing / dysfunctional if this gossip turns out to be true. IE that the investors are annoyed with CIG's inability to hit deadlines, and see Turbulent (the long-time CIG partner, and primarily web / marketing guys) as a safer pair of hands.

This potential investor annoyance with missed targets is also about the most compelling explanation for the bizarre 'roadmap to the roadmap' scenario that's been running all this year.

Because honestly, what can actually explain their inability to put some form of roadmap in front of the backers over that time frame? It's just absurd. It has supposedly been 'a priority' since the start of the year. It would have to feature the talking face of Jesus reading out dev notes to justify this level of delay...

---

@LittleAnt what's your take on this incidentally? Why do you think CIG have been unable to present a new roadmap to the backers for nearly a year now? And does it not seem a bit strange to you that it's taking them so long?

It could prove even more amusing / dysfunctional if this gossip turns out to be true. IE that the investors are annoyed with CIG's inability to hit deadlines, and see Turbulent (the long-time CIG partner, and primarily web / marketing guys) as a safer pair of hands.

This potential investor annoyance with missed targets is also about the most compelling explanation for the bizarre 'roadmap to the roadmap' scenario that's been running all this year.

Because honestly, what can actually explain their inability to put some form of roadmap in front of the backers over that time frame? It's just absurd. It has supposedly been 'a priority' since the start of the year. It would have to feature the talking face of Jesus reading out dev notes to justify this level of delay...

---

@LittleAnt what's your take on this incidentally? Why do you think CIG have been unable to present a new roadmap to the backers for nearly a year now? And does it not seem a bit strange to you that it's taking them so long?
I'd say it's sheer incompetence. I'd say some of them wants to put up an activity log with meaningless dross to show off how much they done. Others might want to not be bothered inventing dross while they are working to salvage the sinking ship.
Who knows, maybe it's just they don't know what the game is supposed to be about with what they have and without a clear idea what can actually be done. I mean they said a couple times this and that is coming and nothing was there come delivery day.

Adding a chess AI in there would crush the game performance (Leela or Stockfish are not really light on CPU usage..) for something that's clearly not part of the scope.

Not at all. Stockfish only needs 50 milliseconds per move on a basic desktop PC to perform at Grandmaster level (2500+ ELO rating). Against SC players, 5 ms per move is plenty enough, at 1800 ELO. It's the reason top chess engines are really only used for analysis these days, or to play against each other. No human has beaten them since 2005.

I'm curious to see the tractor bean in action in 3.12. It's another new mechanism and it seems to be one of the mechanism needed for salvaging (not 100% sure about it).

Turbulent? They didn't "open" that studio, they outsourced the job to another company.
Another company owned by CIG at 25% if I remember correctly. So, it's outsourcing at 75% only ;)

If I was CIG, I will totally get rid of roadmap and only present what will be in next patch and only when ready. But it's too late, the community will not accept its disappearance.
For my thought about it :
  • they were late (as usual) because they are slow to code and don't know how to estimate durations
  • they have reworked several time what to display on roadmap on behalf of CR (as usual). Because the specifications of the project were probably at the beginning "show them our internal roadmap" and when CR saw the prototype, he certainly said "we can't show those 3 branchs and this one except this part of the branch" and other stuff like this. So they had to modify what have been done.
  • when CR realized that the new roadmap would not be ready by mid 2020, he probably decided to keep it for Christmas or early 2020 (they traditionally talk about staff reorganisation and similar subjects the first quarter of each year).

I'm curious to see the tractor bean in action in 3.12. It's another new mechanism and it seems to be one of the mechanism needed for salvaging (not 100% sure about it).

Another company owned by CIG at 25% if I remember correctly. So, it's outsourcing at 75% only ;)

If I was CIG, I will totally get rid of roadmap and only present what will be in next patch and only when ready. But it's too late, the community will not accept its disappearance.
For my thought about it :
  • they were late (as usual) because they are slow to code and don't know how to estimate durations
  • they have reworked several time what to display on roadmap on behalf of CR (as usual). Because the specifications of the project were probably at the beginning "show them our internal roadmap" and when CR saw the prototype, he certainly said "we can't show those 3 branchs and this one except this part of the branch" and other stuff like this. So they had to modify what have been done.
  • when CR realized that the new roadmap would not be ready by mid 2020, he probably decided to keep it for Christmas or early 2020 (they traditionally talk about staff reorganisation and similar subjects the first quarter of each year).
Takes 2 weeks tops to do that. No, it's just another bullkipper they are trying to sell. Somehow it just doesnt look good to take so long for a project update. It reflects poorly on their capability to get anything done at all.

Top Bottom