Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

To be fair, I also thought CIG could not afford to miss the SQ42 deadline for 2020, after all the failures to deliver in multiple announced timelines and now with investors in the picture, this one had to be fulfilled. Alas, I could not imagine the level of incompetence by CIG, and backers mercy, was this big.

It leads me to two possible thoughts.

1) The investors got in without some way of getting their money out and are now trapped, with CR burning through money and they can't do anything to get their money out, their ROI is tied to the release of a game.

2) The had a clause that allows them to topslice all income from pledges (which i've long suspected). By how much might determine how long they peg themselves to the project. If we ever see Calder's representative leaving the board we would know they have recouped their investment with profit. We know CIG needed that money badly when Calder invested, so i'm sure a shrewd investor would have made sure he got a good deal. If for example they had the rights to top slice 50% then they might have got their money back now(?). How long are they able to top slice for? Is there a max? (presumably!). What if its less? What if its 10%? Then they are tied to the project for a good while yet. But a high percentage would explain why CIG are still coming up with schemes to get more money despite having a record year. Surely they could let off the gas a bit if they didn't need the money. Or CR is trying to ensure that if pledging slows down he's got a decent reserve.

I'm sure some faithful backers will assume Calder is backing because he trusts CR to deliver a product. Naturally i struggle to believe this. He must be aware of CR's history. He must have done his due dilligence. CR isn't that good a salesman to cause an experienced investor to not do his due dilligence. There's red flags all over this project. I'd like to think he went in with a pretty solid way of getting his money back.

On the flip side, i've heard some real horror stories of investors throwing money left, right, and center, without any due dilligence. They have so much money they just write any losses off as tax write offs and once in a while they might hit a unicorn and they are golden.

A citizen writes...

You nailed the problem with modern life: INSTANT GRATIFICATION.

I've played game where it took hours to reach an objective, only to die on contact with the enemy.

It demanded patience, planning, and thanks to the open nature of the environment, you could attempt a mission in many ways.

It seems to me that most gamers just want the dopamine hit from spending 5 minutes in a rigged game where the only requirement to win is participation.

SC is not that, and thank <Deity> it isn't!

Nope, SC isn't that! You don't even have to spend 5 minutes. Just open your wallet and you can get what you want in seconds!

Nice lead with the quote from CR

Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date,’ says Chris Roberts

You know where i've heard similar statements before? From project managers whose projects were deep in doo doo.

Squadron 42 is a single-player, story-based campaign set in universe of Star Citizen, the spaceflight and first-person shooter MMO that’s been in development since 2011.

Ooof, that's going to rustle some jimmines among the faithful. Despite CR saying he was working on it since 2011 it doesn't mesh with the development only really started in [current_year-2] mantra.

SeRHesW.jpg

What people are saying!

"At over 1 million pages this might take you some time to read" - IGN

"Its all there in my July Blog" - Derek Smart

"A dissapointing lack of pictures" - Chris Roberts

"FUD! Lies! I read a sentence and afterwards I was so angry i had to buy more spaceships to show this Fritz guy how wrong he is" - Anonymous Star Citizen backer

1 million pages? The abridged version, obviously. :D (Sorry, MTBFritz, I couldn't resist... no offence intended. :) )
Edit: Sorry, MTBFritz. Managed to mangle your name. Will not happen again. :)

Last edited:
To be fair, I also thought CIG could not afford to miss the SQ42 deadline for 2020, after all the failures to deliver in multiple announced timelines and now with investors in the picture, this one had to be fulfilled. Alas, I could not imagine the level of incompetence by CIG, and backers mercy, was this big.

CIG is in the bizarre but enviable position of having revenue streams correlating closely with delay and disappointment. Why would they change a winning business model? :D

So I did some simple forecasting and predictive analysis on CIG costs.

Expenses Percentage Increase over Prior Year--------------------------------------------------------------Year------------------Series---------------Expenses

2019's expenses were 70,431 thousand. The model predicted 2019's expenses as 1.299539068 percent over prior year, or 72,991 thousand. This is +2.56 million off, but it's only a 0.045582118 difference, so within the margin of error.

IF CIG's expenses follow the model from past trends, they're looking at a ballpark of 97,372 thousands in 2020 expenses. Note that 2020 is looking to bring in about 78.6 million.

My bias would put 2020 closer to ~$86 million, due to a small increase in headcount and expenses in DevOps to set up "work at home" networks throughout the year, plus bandwidth usage and compensation.

IF CIG's expenses follow the model from past trends, and if 2020 is within the margin of error on the model, they're looking at a ballpark of 145,806 thousands in 2021 expenses.

Under the kindest of circumstances, meaning CIG manages expenses better than the model predicts, and backer put in MORE money than the prior year, CIG is looking at depleting their Calder Warchest sometime in 2023. Considering CIG is looking to wholesale increase their headcount by 15% at least from the announced Montreal office, plus expansion of the Derby office, expenses aren't going to decrease meaningfully.

This is looking like Expand or Die territory.

Something has to happen in 2022 or early 2023.

Note: This model is only based on the reported total costs. I might do a line for line expenses model for a more "accurate" guess.

Last edited:
Someone unleashed the Blobbers!

Be not afraid citizens! All is ok! CIG are fine. SC is fine! Buy and Idris!

I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.

crobbers words not mine

Release the blobbers!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38AYeNGjqg0

Last edited:
I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.

crobbers words not mine

Release the blobbers!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38AYeNGjqg0

Ahaa home stretching.

tenor.gif

Under the kindest of circumstances, meaning CIG manages expenses better than the model predicts, and backer put in MORE money than the prior year

Isn't that pretty much a given that backers will put in more money year on year? Something about sunk cost galaxy fallacy. It feels like an economic bubble, the back of my mind tells me it will pop at some point, but I just can't believe it until it actually happens.

Isn't that pretty much a given that backers will put in more money year on year? Something about sunk cost galaxy fallacy. It feels like an economic bubble, the back of my mind tells me it will pop at some point, but I just can't believe it until it actually happens.
It already popped twice put Calder put it back together again. Third times the charm?

Back
Top Bottom