Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Similarly, CR needs to release the damned single player title. Use that (and the drip feed DLC/feature creep they keep adding) as bait to keep the MMO crowd and whales hooked for the multiplayer release. Releasing SQ42 as a GAME with the promised chapters-- regardless of it's alpha/beta state -- would finally give the fan base something the digest and rally around. And also reaffirm CR's increasingly damaged reputation as one of the greybeard pioneers/visionaries in the gaming industry.

Why do that when doing nothing and stringing people along works just as fine? Remember you release something if you feel its good (enough) or living up to its promise. Releasing something disappointing might hurt your work and/or future far more than any delay ever could. CIGs constant "SQ42 is coming along very nicely" doesnt match the lack of footage, information, a roadmap or any kind of visual beartrap...it all screams "we have nothing" at me.

Might I propose a logical quandary, and call me crazy if it is:

If the SC public alpha is indeed a testing environment (and not a "live game environment"), is revoking testing agency (putting a tester in a "jail" for the full length of the "punishment"), for testing other critical gameplay systems (which may or may not include activities that the game logic determines as "criminal"), conducive to a testing environment?

However, if the prison system is to be fully experienced regardless of intent (and to be fully served as intended as an agency-revoking "punishment"), does that mean that Star Citizen right now is no longer a testing environment, but rather a live game environment?

Because the way I see it, and would manage it, is that it is probably more important at this point to determine the parameters of what a "crime" is and "how much" punishment it determines. Having people "test" the full length of the punishment seems like a very, very low priority. I'd rather have testers/players getting back out there ASAP testing and breaking things.

Maybe CIG doesnt know how an alpha works and tries to offer everything to everybody? Early Access, alpha, released game, doing great, we are not there yet, early days etc. This is groundbreaking really or rather, whoever tried to do this before got terminated by the investors or the community. Somehow Star Citizen manages to keep people on the hook despite all its shortcomings and the answer is probably only known to those into it same as an addict is the only one who can tell you what the fascination is about doing something he knows is bad for him (I d say CIG cut out the controlling factor and relies on clueless people for fuel - seems to work fine to me. Most criminal organizations work the same way ^^:)

And if some self-flagellating tester wants to test the time of the prison system clock, why not have a tester tool of "spawnAt:jail;sent(240)". That way the tester can on his own volition test if he can leave during the 4 hour prison sentence. Perhaps even see if the NPCs in prisons glitch out over long periods of loaded times. Heck, you could test the limits of prison sentences to ludicrous amounts like 120 hours, and with a resource spawner tool see if the work-for-credit system in fact works as intended. Gee whiz, wouldn't that be useful testing data to gather?

Unfortunately, that's not how Star Citizen works. It is my opinion from observation that it is not a testing environment, it is a live game environment.

CIGs focus to finetune existing stuff and enhance experience/performance over content or lacking features is supporting that suggestion IMO

It's quite obvious to anyone who's played Star Citizen for any length of time

Thats really hard to believe. Either most people discussing SC havent played SC than or they dont know the first thing about the project to begin with. Your sugegstion that this is "common knowledge" simply isnt true when you take a look at whats happening right now. What I agree with is that I didnt would ve called it that a few pages earlier but since its been brought up and it makes a lot of sense from a logical point of view I would agree with it. Yet many wouldnt because that would take away CIGs primary defensive strategy.....ITS ALFAAAAA

Star Citizen being sold as an "alpha project" where people pay through the nose to get a chance to participate NOT offering any kind of dev tools to support/enhance testing capabilities never made any sense to me to begin with. The project also lacks any kind of appearant structure or logical order in regards to development. It looks like the devs work on whatever comes to mind, stuff usually doesnt match in hindsight or lacks the required design/planning beforehand. Real project development also has a lot of boring stretches, stuff that isnt exciting, isnt great looking or "fun" but equally critical to the projects success rate. Maybe CIG is working on that too but because its as unopen and untransparent as it is nobody knows. As such Star Citizen isnt the opportunity for the average joe to "participate in its development" or "have a chance to affect how its going to be" but a hamster wheel only. Keep people "busy" and spending money. If thats the intention of SCs alpha thats quite fine also. But they need to "own" that than not parrot conflicting statements or do things that go directly against what they promise instead.

Words have specific meaning. Its not like Chris thinking that "soon" can mean whatever he needs it to mean at any given time. Given enough friction based on CIGs extremely bad communication its no wonder that at some point people will assume the company has no clue, no idea or even understands what they are doing. THAT is why CIG today is an industry joke.

I´d imagine that one could also argue, poorly though, that those first 1 to 6 bullets need to be tested under a scenario as close to "live" as currrent available content permits.

Such things happen in live development yes. But usually at the very end when you try to prove/test consistency or viability of the whole. As far as we know Star Citizen is a long way away from that as it would suggest completion or being close to completion. An alphas priority should be to get the pieces in and working. How many of those pieces match or edge with each other depends to a great deal on the design paper dictating a base and ceiling in which stuff happens.

SCs bad coding has been named a lot for being the main culprit for the tech demos bad performance. While that can be true CIGs inability to change this (based on observable experience) suggests that its either A) not true or B) being outside CIGs capabilities. In case of A I would expect CIG to provide a reason that makes sense tho. And for all we know CIG doesnt have the first idea themselves. Because keeping the reason a secret makes no sense to be honest.

Though we'd all like to see them get this right, I'd say there's a number of folk here who are realizing/have realized no matter how much money they throw at this, there's no way they can get all they promised working and running, at the same time. I vaguely remember a post many years ago pointing out the limitation of the speed of light being a thing. Fun to dream though.

No doubt and them trying to get as much fun out of this before it ends despite all the shortcomings or impossibilities is called negotiating

They are there to mitigate players shooting other players too much. You know, the thing the "carebears" cry about when a "griefer" hits them. As can be expected when you throw sheep and wolves into the same bucket without a "PvP slider".

Thats Sovapid earning his spot in the games development credits ^^

Since released games lose their value (in terms of purchase price, see "Steam Sales" etc) quite rapidly, keeping a "product" as pre-release for an extended period presumably means that you can delay the discounting that occurs after release. Indeed if you consider ship sales (and land sales, whatever happen to those!) as "DLC" (Down Loadable Content) then you can retain "full price" for a very long time indeed.

While thats true projects in pre-release usually dont even come close to the potential cash-out value they could aquire on release. Thats the point of development developers work toward. The point at which their obligations are complete and they get rewarded for their hard work. Pre-release participation is rather used as a marketing tool these days. Alpha testers "can" be a critical source of information or feedback influencing development but in reality most private people going for those spots simply lack the qualification and remain worthless noise instead. Take a look at Star Citizen. Most people describe their activity as "playing" and "fun" being the most important factor. Thats not how testers sound and thats not feedback that the creator can use either. People who sink hundreds and thousands of dollars into this project thinking they somehow support it or are responsible for its advances are glorifying a rather sad truth instead. They are addicted and look for excuses to spend more money. Thats about it.

The only project that I can remember that was going against that formula was RUST which was sitting in "alpha" for years unchanging while charging hard cash on its alpha state. And when RUST released the game world didnt even notice much because there wasnt much of a difference anymore. Maybe SC is going for that approach? I remember thinking that Rust was simply "cashing out" by refusing to call it done and ready and thinking rather badly of the devs for that. I do the same in regards to Star Citizen. Star Citizens dynamic worked back then as well. Whoever wanted to experience RUSTs potential had to pay full price and lots of people did that basically "throwing money" at the devs. And development slowed down to a crawl to a point where it seemed the devs simply didnt care anymore and why would they? They are already getting the money, they were not obligated to finish what they had at all. So RUST today isnt a whole lot different to what it was during its years in alpha. If Star Citizen manages to reach release I predict its going to be the same. What SC is today is what its going to be on release....quite the horror scenario ^^

View attachment 203022
I agree with Ron - how dare someone say something negative about this glorious and ground-breaking 8 year old tech demo on its subreddit?! Unacceptable cult behaviour!

Reminds me a lot of todays society as a whole creating flat earthers or similarly asinine assumptions (the virus is a hoax to control the public through fear). People who have access to all the required information but not bothering to educate themselves or finding an explanation. Especially when you are provided with explanations but opt to disregard, blindside or ignore them because they either make too much sense or cripple your own argument so you fake ignorance and bewilderment. Pretty much what revenant was doing just a few pages ago :)

Robbers has lied so much about Star Citisn't that he himself doesn't know anymore if it's alpha or "ready to play". Or he just hallucinates that his scam is following the examples of NMS and Warframe. But like I said - those had working core game loops in a developed setting, not just isolated patchwork of features.

CIGs constant "SQ42 is coming along very nicely" doesnt match the lack of footage, information, a roadmap or any kind of visual beartrap...it all screams "we have nothing" at me.

Yup, combine "most open development ever" with CIG's love of showing off even the most trival things, but then they fall back on "spoilers" when it suits them but then they show off a 1 hour video when it suited them or speeches with big name actors essentially giving away some of the plot, and the fact you can show gameplay without spoilers... well, it all reeks to me of they don't want to show any of what they do have because its pants or they don't have it.

Archered from SA

Vqiyrxx.png
That reminds me of something :D

Oh, dealings between developers and content creators of this kind is not something unusual at all and it is quite a fair way for games to get exposure to the market etc, via paid arrangements or otherwise, exclusives or otherwise. FDEV has been quite transparent in its intent to contact a number of content creators for the promotion of Odyssey, including a number of Star Citizen related ones. Not an issue.

The difference, as far as I can tell, is that FDEV has not yet pulled the kind of deals CIG has done with content creators like Rexzilla where all evidence suggests CIG engaged him via Redbull to ensure that a) backer´s money could not be perceived as being used in anything else other than development and that b) Rexzilla streams, viewership and popularity was also perceived as spontaneous, independent and "organic" without any ties with an actual paid promotion deal of any kind. Another example of CIG fake "organic" promotion that comes to mind was INN for example, etc.

Whoops sorry

I don't follow Rexzilla. I didn't realise he was a paid shill. Of course any promotion should be done honestly and above board. Developer guests appearing on a stream to plug their game should be no different from celebrities appearing on a chatshow to plug their products

Well...I really have desire to try mining with the Prospector ship as I get bored to do delivery missions so I follow instructions as @Mole HD suggested...In short I went to the HUR L1 found the elevator to the mining refinery and then try to rent the Ship but this is what I got on the screen....
miningbug.jpg
Actually there is nothing on the screen...nada....no ships to rent...sometimes screen will go insane and buggy but no ships to rent....is this possibly some already known bug,is there solution for this?

Well...I really have desire to try mining with the Prospector ship as I get bored to do delivery missions so I follow instructions as @Mole HD suggested...In short I went to the HUR L1 found the elevator to the mining refinery and then try to rent the Ship but this is what I got on the screen....
View attachment 203049
Actually there is nothing on the screen...nada....no ships to rent...sometimes screen will go insane and buggy but no ships to rent....is this possibly some already known bug,is there solution for this?

Buy an Idris :p

View attachment 203049

Try a different server.

🍻
[/QUOTE]
You still haven't added me to your in game contacts list, mate...either that or drop me your SC handle and I'll add you...mine is Mole, minus the HD. Nice to see you're enjoying it anyway, I'm going through a play most days phase at the moment since 3.12 is fairly stable ;)
Wilco soon, my handle is same as here.
I hope you are kidding,
It was already boring when delivery mission required 1 parcel delivery. How can you have fun running around to deliver 3?
'tis what you make of it ( plus I've got a good imagination ).

Last edited:
View attachment 203049
Only thing is to relog... try changing servers first. It's the same bug that's effecting the trade terminals.

Back
Top Bottom