Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Interesting
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/lrqr3o Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/lrqr3o/the_realities_of_the_unique_ship_name_debate/

Also, not sure how popular it would be but if CIG finally confirms names are unique (even if it is only for a ship category) that could also open the door to a name change grey market too.
No Aluminum Falcon? Sad.

1614331590282.png

You can not make this stuff up. Hope I am missing something but if this is how handle changes work currently, then... :

:ROFLMAO:

Holy moley!

Meanwhile, FD do it once for free.

Hah, SA have dug up the pallet white boxing from 2015

https://player.vimeo.com/video/125955933

Finally, the holy trinity of grabby hands, trollies, and physical inventories will be complete. 5 years later. Gaming is saved!

What I never understood is how someone milking you heavily justifies others that milk you lightly.
"This bully takes all my money, he is bad. That other bully takes only part of my money, he is good". what??? Aren't cosmetics part of the game? Yes they are. So why I have to pay for a part of the game if I already paid for the game?
Devs are improving the game? Great, the better it is, the more people will buy it, income. But why people have to pay again and again? If your game is a service, charge service fee, it's called subscription. If people aren't willing to buy enough subscriptions to keep your honest business of improving the game afloat, maybe your game isn't good enough?
Micropayments are more profitable than subscriptions for the same game? True, but that's because shady business is always more profitable than the honest one. And making additional profits on people who already bought your game still is milking.

Now, where is SC in that scheme? He is the bad bully, of course.

Games used to be built to a shrink wrapped spec at which point devs could move onto another project. The model has changed to games as a service, consumers expect continued support and ongoing growth so the amount of cosmetic or dlc/pay-to-win assets is now limitless, they expect this for the entry price alone even if it's free on Epic games or less than a fiver on Steam. Amazingly this change has only happened in the past few years.

You don't have to pay for cosmetics, unless you want to apply them. They're completely voluntary. Getting some extra funding with cheap cosmetics equates to the girl scout selling cookies, not to the bully who takes your money for nothing.
Should I pay real $ for Cytoscrambler? Or ECM module? Their effect on gameplay is negligible and they are, as you say, completely voluntary. No, I shouldn't. They are part of the game, just as paintjobs are, after you own them. Except you have to pay for that part of the game separately. Because reasons.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against FDev adding more content. I just think that the content should be provided as Horizons were and Odyssey is. Because if some game content is unimportant, why do they bother creating it in the first place? Ah, to make money. Out of people who already bought the game, nice move.
Girlscout analogy is just wrong, because I haven't paid her $45 (or any other sum) for kitchenware required to eat those cookies.

The model has changed to games as a service, consumers expect continued support and ongoing growth so the amount of cosmetic or dlc/pay-to-win assets is now limitless
Haven't I already covered that? "If your game is a service, charge service fee, it's called subscription. If people aren't willing to buy enough subscriptions to keep your honest business of improving the game afloat, maybe your game isn't good enough?"

Last edited:
Haven't I already covered that? "If your game is a service, charge service fee, it's called subscription. If people aren't willing to buy enough subscriptions to keep your honest business of improving the game afloat, maybe your game isn't good enough?"

I dunno, if I get my GAAS for free, and/or far cheaper than a subscription, via cosmetic microtrans, I'm alright with it. Your mileage is gonna vary, but the gameplay is king for me, and that's what I'm getting for my money.

I don't see it as a horrendous development. Games have become absurd behemoths to make, and with a much longer tail in terms of rolling support. Cosmetics microtransactions have provided a way for them to cover those rolling costs and supplement the pre-prod costs without upping the asking price massively.

As a thrifty player I think it's like the least bad system out there.

But to stay on topic... Far worse systems are: P2W pre-purchase macro-transactions ;)

Games have become absurd behemoths to make, and with a much longer tail in terms of rolling support.
No, they haven't become. Valheim.
Longer tail in terms of rollign support is caused by service model. As I said, subscriptions.
and/or far cheaper than a subscription, via cosmetic microtrans
You would be surprised, but "cosmetic microtrans" bring much more money than subscriptions, because average people are terrible at tracking small irregular fees.
I'm not sure there's any winning there.

I believe Agony_Aunt is still winning here.

Longer tail in terms of rollign support is caused by service model. As I said, subscriptions.

You would be suprised, but "cosmetic microtrans" bring much more money than subscriptions, because average people are terrible at tracking small irregular fees.

Sure, but like I say, personally I'm paying less for that GAAS. So I don't have a problem with the system.

(On the negative side, I think things get muddier when cosmetics are packaged in 'loot boxes'. IE when there's a gamified / gambling element designed to encourage compulsive behaviour. But on the positive side, I think classic 'shop front' cosmetics give savvy players the choice to reward the company when they're happy with output, or to pay nothing when they feel the game is in hiatus. That's a more flexible system than even a monthly subscription system, in many ways.)

But to stay on topic...

Even shop fronts can get silly...

asdf.png

I don't remember, I just thought, cool. and gave them money.

It's bizarre we have people on the forums complaining because apparently FDEV won't take their money, and when they do set it up so you can pay money it's all complaints!

I've played ED for years, my initial investment in a combined original/horizons package, my pre-purchase of Odyssey, plus my name tags came to around the same as I payed for a single expansion of LOTRO late last year, and I can't remember how many expansions of LOTRO I have paid for. I consider the money I have spent on ED to be one of the best gaming investments I have ever made!
For the record...since it was me who stated that FDev didn't seem to want my money by not accepting a decent amount of cash for an LEP package back in 2015...I've paid a fair bit for Horizons plus cosmetic add-ons on both my old Xbox Frontier account and 2 PC accounts since then...plus Odyssey pre-order... and never once complained about being asked to fork out sweetie money for something Elite related. The only thing I ever really complained about was that FDev nicked my Xbox GPP ship badge...and my Cobra 4... when I transferred my Xbox Commander account to PC :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom