Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Answer the call 2050

dfieOoYl.jpg
Croberts.jpg

... With CR above your shoulders at all times. Or if he's allegedly out, with the burden of all these technical debts.
There's an everlasting impression from Ci¬G these days that there's nobody really in charge any longer...the senior devs that are left holding the can are all appearing more and more like they're desperately dragging stuff out of the fire just in a last ditch attempt to keep this gigantic collander of game ideas floating by plugging some of the holes with spit.

Whether the snake oil salesman has finally abandoned ship with the rest of his nepotistic family into some tax haven or have been forced onto the sidelines by the new investors is unclear...but it's certainly apparent to all but the most steadfast of fanboys that something has been seriously amiss at Ci¬G since the much touted planning week at the beginning of the year.

I reckon they pared down the project development in that planning week (which turned into an entire month) to a bare minimum all round...that includes development of Sqn 42. It's not hard to grasp this when looking at the plans from last year and the actual development or non development this year where everything bar minimalistic fluff additions has fallen completely off the map.

Call it a hunch :)

Last edited:
There's an everlasting impression from Ci¬G these days that there's nobody really in charge any longer...the senior devs that are left holding the can are all appearing more and more like they're desperately dragging stuff out of the fire just in a last ditch attempt to keep this gigantic collander of game ideas floating by plugging some of the holes with spit.

Whether the snake oil salesman has finally abandoned ship with the rest of his nepotistic family into some tax haven or have been forced onto the sidelines by the new investors is unclear...but it's certainly apparent to all but the most steadfast of fanboys that something has been seriously amiss at Ci¬G since the much touted planning week at the beginning of the year.

Call it a hunch :)

Yeah. Erin was meant to be working on SC (which was CR's gig) but then you'd expect to see a bit more from Erin. But we haven't seen anything from him for a long while.

Quoting these here to avoid derailing another thread:

and all the player assets are now preserved

Not actually true, the new 'baby persistence' system is hugely flakey. You can ask the regular players here for some comedy examples, but a quick glance at the bug reports provides a long list of missing assets:

And that’s not mentioning the bonus instabilities like players changing gender mid-session ;)

and not reset anymore after new patches

Wipes are still planned running up to launch. And given the number of credit exploits in game, they are also inevitable ;)

Time to list the status of the "heads" of this mess?

• Chris Roberts: last seen in pillar talk in april 2020, but looks like it was shot the same time as previous PT released in february
  • Ortwin Freyermuth: never seen, because he's the shadow man :)
  • Erin Roberts: wasn't nowhere to be seen even prior Citcon 2019, allegedly lead of SC now (instead of SQ42)
  • Sandi Gardiner: wasn't nowhere to be seen even prior Citcon 2019, allegedly cherrishing her handbags and acting
  • Sean Tracy: last seen in the June 26th Calling All Devs video. Working on ToW
  • Tony Zurovec: last seen in a Pillar Talk, annoying CR ?
  • Todd Papy: regularly seen in videos, now in charge of SQ42
  • Eric Peterson: out in 2014, allegedly for family/geographic reasons
  • Rob Irving: out in 2015 to join Peterson's Descendant studios
  • John Pritchett: out in 2018, allegedly for geographic reasons
  • Ben Lesnick: out in 2018, allegedly still in, working from home
  • Jared Huckaby: regularly seen, too much for our own good though :)
  • Mark Abent: last seen?

Last edited:
Not actually true, the new 'baby persistence' system is hugely flakey. You can ask the regular players here for some comedy examples, but a quick glance at the bug reports provides a long list of missing assets:
These are issues and bugs reports that belongs to the alpha state of course. No one can claim that the game is fully stable yet. I've asked this to other players in game and in the forums and apparently the loss of assets and the character reset affected only few people. Most people could keep everything through the last patches. In fact there are players that have alredy bought big ships using in game currency because they could keep credits and assets.
There's no reason for worrying about the exploits at the moment because all charachters will be reset the day the game will be released (only the ships purchased with real money will stay).
The character reset is an extreme solution when everything stops working. In fact I've never needed to use it. I also had my ship locked for few days but I didn't need to reset anything in fact CIG already provided a free Misc Freelancer to all players in case their basic ship is locked and it's a 150$ package.
You need to try it out to realize the real state.
It's like in ED in the last September update when everyone was crying that the game was dead broken but in the end most players could keep playing without particular issues.
SC changed a lot in the last year. I also criticized the development a lot in the past. But since alpha 3.8 you can see that it's starting to take shape and it's definitely playable (let's say 50-100 hours for the moment)

So the long-awaited Sq42 update is overflowing with gumph. Early parts of the campaign focusing on comms arrays and rest stops sounds completely riveting. Loads of things still at the concept phase. In 2020.

However, "Stellar Denizen: Combat Bartender" sounds like an absolutely awesome game and I can't wait to play it!

No one can claim that the game is fully stable yet.

And yet you claimed that 'player assets are now preserved', in a pretty declarative statement of stability ;)

I've asked this to other players in game and in the forums and apparently the loss of assets and the character reset affected only few people. Most people could keep everything through the last patches. In fact there are players that have alredy bought big ships using in game currency because they could keep credits and assets.

We can't really assess percentages from a few anecdotals. If you ask in this thread you'd get an opposite view, with most regular players telling you of losses like modules etc. (Well, Mole can't tell you, because he can't get into the game ;)).

The bug reports just demonstrate that there are some persistent systemic problems.

CIG themselves say there have been 'many reports' of missing equipment, for example, and have a dedicated support page to that effect.

CIG already provided a free Misc Freelancer to all players in case their basic ship is locked and it's a 150$ package.

Yes, that would perhaps tell a tale of persistence not quite being what it should be, no? ;)

Although the Freelancer is actually provided as a workaround for another set of stability issues.

let's say 50-100 hours for the moment

Let's say you play those 100 hours and then tell us about the fun bugs you encountered ;)

There's no reason for worrying about the exploits at the moment because all charachters will be reset the day the game will be released (only the ships purchased with real money will stay).

It would be fairly easy to take the michael here and bring up the specter of pay to win, but this is one thing that really needs to happen. Problem is, CR has already handwaved away the idea of a hard release and it seems likely (should development continue that far) is there will never be a hard release, and quite possibly never actually a release label. Look at Fortnite, which still is "early access" despite being well into Season 2.

Depends on what you mean. Do you mean try out during free fly, in which case, fine. If you mean try it out by giving CIG money, no thanks. Unfortunately to test persistence, you need to give CIG money.

These are issues and bugs reports that belongs to the alpha state of course. No one can claim that the game is fully stable yet. I've asked this to other players in game and in the forums and apparently the loss of assets and the character reset affected only few people. Most people could keep everything through the last patches. In fact there are players that have alredy bought big ships using in game currency because they could keep credits and assets.
The character reset is an extreme solution when everything stops working. In fact I've never needed to use it. I also had my ship locked for few days but I didn't need to reset anything in fact CIG already provided a free Misc Freelancer to all players in case their basic ship is locked and it's a 150$ package.
It's like in ED in the last September update when everyone was crying that the game was dead broken but in the end most players could keep playing without particular issues.
SC changed a lot in the last year. I also criticized the development a lot in the past. But since alpha 3.8 you can see that it's starting to take shape and it's definitely playable (let's say 50-100 hours for the moment)
You don't seem very informed about most of the stuff you described...considering you obviously play. Try popping into the test chat and reading how many folks are affected by all those game breaking issues you so blithely dismiss as occasional or not important.

The Freebie Freelancer for one was a workaround for a perma loading screen bug...the workaround being it was the only ship you can logout of in Arena commander...which was part of the bug workaround. Ci¬G supplied the ship because so many backers were actively locked out from the game that it became a running joke...now running for several months since they still haven't fixed it. Ci¬G don't give free stuff to anyone...far less a $150 ship.

Believe me, I 'try it out' regularly...most days in fact. You should join us in the testing chat sometime...namely before you come on here waxing lyrical about SC with the assumption that none of us are backers or play regularly ;)

Last edited:
Time to list the status of the "heads" of this mess?

• Chris Roberts: last seen in pillar talk in april 2020, but looks like it was shot the same time as previous PT released in february
  • Ortwin Freyermuth: never seen, because he's the shadow man :)
  • Erin Roberts: wasn't nowhere to be seen even prior Citcon 2019, allegedly lead of SC now (instead of SQ42)
  • Sandi Gardiner: wasn't nowhere to be seen even prior Citcon 2019, allegedly cherrishing her handbags and acting
  • Sean Tracy: last seen? working on ToW
  • Tony Zurovec: last seen?
  • Todd Papy: regularly seen in videos, now in charge of SQ42
  • Eric Peterson: out in 2014, allegedly for family/geographic reasons
  • Rob Irving: out in 2015 to join Peterson's Descendant studios
  • John Pritchett: out in 2018, allegedly for geographic reasons
  • Ben Lesnick: out in 2018, allegedly still in, working from home
  • Jared Huckaby: regularly seen, too much for our own good though
  • Mark Abent: last seen?

Wow, that's a good list.

You know, i never even realized Peterson had left. Always assumed he was still there, beavering away in the background.

Tony i like a lot. Not because i rate him as a manager... gods, no. He just looks like someone you could sit down with, light up, and listen to Floyd. Guy looks baked on most videos.

You don't seem very informed about most of the stuff you described...considering you obviously play. Try popping into the test chat and reading how many folks are affected by all those game breaking issues you so blithely dismiss as occasional or not important.

The Freebie Freelancer for one was a workaround for a perma loading screen bug...the workaround being it was the only ship you can logout of in Arena commander...which was part of the bug workaround. Ci¬G supplied the ship because so many backers were actively locked out from the game that it became a running joke...now running for several months since they still haven't fixed it. Ci¬G don't give free stuff to anyone...far less a $150 ship.

Believe me, I 'try it out' regularly...most days in fact. You should join us in the testing chat sometime...namely before you come on here waxing lyrical about SC with the assumption that none of us are backers or play regularly ;)

Ooof.... good job you don't say that sort of thing on Spectrum.... oh, right... hehe.

Top Bottom