Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Counter counterpoint - How many of them are whales?

How many people consciously became Concierge plus (Admiral is it?) How many just spent bits here and there and over a period of time it all added up? How many bought the 35K package and how many own more ships and spent more money than they ever imagined just drip-feeding and buying the latest ship because it was never bank-breaking at the time? Its a hobby and most hobbies we are willing to spend and spend on over time because we enjoy the hobby.

ED & SC have probably an older audience, even a generational one than most games. The Twitch generation want fast pay off instant gratification or they move on to the next game. And they talk to each other more. Word of mouth works both ways.

How many of them will still be there in 6 months let alone 5 years subscribing to an Alpha to keep that revenue up? How many will make a small one-off purchase and just flush it down the toilet / write it off / forget about it? What will keep them coming back?

SC is losing its core audience, the ones who will pay month after month for an email and a story and a promise of things to come.

PT Barnum ticket sale price was similar at the end of the circus lifetime as at the beginning and he just moved from town to town. SC ship prices are going up and up to account for less actual people buying and theres nowhere left to go. Sunk cost fallacy isnt as powerful with the Millenials not through conscious thought just that theres so much else on offer and its easy to get and actual money means less.

Brand loyalty doesnt mean as much, nor does the 'personal service' individual shops that our grandparents had, we all go to generic supermarkets now, they shop online from faceless stores, 3 or 4 generations and its all changed from what lasted hundreds of years. We watched 3 hour movies or episodic TV shows that lasted for months or years. They watch 20 second Tik-Tok and swipe left (I have no idea how TT works :) ) If it is episodic as soon as the first one is out they binge watch the entire series online in one sitting and 'next'.

If SC start accepting BC....well thats a different story....unless that bubble bursts. It should but belief and confidence just keep it going atm. Another one thats fascinating and defies reality. But all bubbles burst eventually, thats the nature of bubbles. Get in make money and get out. Every crash has been un-foreseeable the day before to 99% of people. Thats why people get hurt.

Generalising and stereotyping yes and always exceptions to the rule, but is based on observable and studied behaviour patterns and its not our future anymore, its theirs, and we will sit around and talk about how good it was in the old days when we were young....which obviously it was but thats the point, its in the past.

And thank the lord @MTBFritz is back I can stop these walls of text now....and breathe :)

Counter-counter-counter point:

If most of SC’s money comes from whales, and the majority of the whales can be presumed to be middle age + with income for such a daft hobby, what would it matter if the younger audience were more fleeting?

(Not that I think they necessarily are. I suspect brand loyalty, and suckerdom, are just as alive and well amongst guys in their teens and twenties ;))

Ultimately, many games dependent on whales rely on < 1% of their community to fund them. The full bore oddballs. A small cadre of backers of whatever age, slowly supplemented by new guys discovering the honey trap as others drop out, could keep CIG going for years to come.

And the current signs are that they will. Despite a slowing ship roster, threadbare deliveries, and a sub-standard technical product.

Unless something categorically bursts the dream bubble (Chris led away in chains, Brian Chambers shouting 'IT’S ALL A LIE' for 10 minutes on an SQ42 livestream...), there’s no reason why the ball won’t keep rolling...

Last edited:
Latest roadmap

0a9GT5x.jpg

Notable points:

No second systems this year (surprised Pikachu face)
3.13 - polishing the Stanton system
3.14 - adding more stuff to Stanton system... erm... so polishing the Stanton system doesn't mean polishing it off, it means what exactly? Whatever it is, it will take them 13 weeks.
3.15 - in quarter 3 we see the (planned) addition of "Small home - outpost". What also happens in quarter 3? Citizen con! The annual whaling event! Calling it - this year is the year they start selling homes on planets. They will sell "small homes" first then over the year add bigger and bigger homes (some concept only) and even business properties. They will make bank.

I look forward to the coming years when they start selling titles with a range of in-game benefit, like King, Admiral, or Emperor. That's the same shady stuff CoE did before shutting down.

Latest roadmap

0a9GT5x.jpg

Notable points:

3.14 - adding more stuff to Stanton system... erm... so polishing the Stanton system doesn't mean polishing it off, it means what exactly? Whatever it is, it will take them 13 weeks.
3.15 - in quarter 3 we see the (planned) addition of "Small home - outpost". What also happens in quarter 3? Citizen con! The annual whaling event! Calling it - this year is the year they start selling homes on planets. They will sell "small homes" first then over the year add bigger and bigger homes (some concept only) and even business properties. They will make bank.

I look forward to the coming years when they start selling titles with a range of in-game benefit, like King, Admiral, or Emperor. That's the same shady stuff CoE did before shutting down.

Notable point for 3.13 - it is already 2 weeks late.

Just because Pyro isn’t tentatively scheduled yet that doesn’t mean it can’t spring into life for Citcon!

But hey, missing two launch years would be nothing anyway. Jump gates have already missed at least 4 ;)

3.15 - in quarter 3 we see the (planned) addition of "Small home - outpost". What also happens in quarter 3? Citizen con! The annual whaling event! Calling it - this year is the year they start selling homes on planets

Yeah I thought that, but turns out they’re for NPCs:

JPWKedw.jpg

Does totally feel like the logical cash grab though. (Maybe you’ll be able to rent NPCs too ;))

Yeah I thought that, but turns out they’re for NPCs:

Does totally feel like the logical cash grab though. (Maybe you’ll be able to rent NPCs too ;))

Aww.... for a moment there i thought CIG were really going to go for it.

Come on CIG! Do something funny! Its been days at least since the last thing! Possibly weeks!

has CiG transitioned from game company to real estate home builder? These development times are atrocious. Are they actually building these things in real life?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

In his mansion in Florida fidelity Roberts lies dreaming.
Wonder what happened to those alien linguist designers since the 2014? 2015? 2016? Whatever CitizenCon the alien languages were first presented for game release? Those guys can't be in really high demand right now. Both single player and MMO markets seems too niche atm for their sort of game feature speciality.

FDev should snatch these guys up and have them work on 'Goid text. Especially now since CMNDRs will be potentially encountering them on foot on planets etc. They should consider adding a lore based language interpreter module to our ships/SRVs and space suit helmets. So you can interpret the exotic screeching 'Goids engage in whenever they lay eyes on a CMNDR. Like see the interpreted text/lines of what they're saying. Or perhaps better yet, add a Borg type of voice over translator. That would be really immersive. Regardless, it would be great if FDev could give these guys jobs working on ED with the economy being as rough as it is to date.

Latest roadmap

0a9GT5x.jpg

Notable points:

3.14 eh? Does that mean they've almost reached peak irrationality?

has CiG transitioned from game company to real estate home builder? These development times are atrocious. Are they actually building these things in real life?
Their development velocity has always been incredibly slow, compared to just anyone else in the industry. By the time one of their teams has "done" one feature (of course, riddled with bugs, "tier 0" and so on) a similar team would have produced a complete game. Lets remind that they actually bought a license for CryEngine so they could "develop the game faster"... They have still no idea how to do their actual server network code, which, nearly 10 years in the project, boggles the mind. Even being completely incompetent, one would have maybe asked the question at some point...

A praise thread has some salty and sarcastic replies from long term backers

Someone with mixed feelings

I backed this game because CR didn't sound as crazy as some people suggested

LOL

And this is .... i don't know. Someone trolling or someone being serious?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Counter-counter-counter point:

If most of SC’s money comes from whales, and the majority of the whales can be presumed to be middle age + with income for such a daft hobby, what would it matter if the younger audience were more fleeting?

(Not that I think they necessarily are. I suspect brand loyalty, and suckerdom, are just as alive and well amongst guys in their teens and twenties ;))

Ultimately, many games dependent on whales rely on < 1% of their community to fund them. The full bore oddballs. A small cadre of backers of whatever age, slowly supplemented by new guys discovering the honey trap as others drop out, could keep CIG going for years to come.

And the current signs are that they will. Despite a slowing ship roster, threadbare deliveries, and a sub-standard technical product.

Unless something categorically bursts the dream bubble (Chris led away in chains, Brian Chambers shouting 'IT’S ALL A LIE' for 10 minutes on an SQ42 livestream...), there’s no reason why the ball won’t keep rolling...

I´d tend to agree with most in this post. There is a few things to consider there.
  • Even if CIG continues getting to be reasonably funded by whales or additional external investments, can CR and CIG still eventually deliver at all a reasonable quality product? I think their history track record so far suggest that may not be possible as is, even with record funding. CIG may need to either settle for an incomplete and luckluster product in some form (some kind of early access release maybe that postpones actual release reckoning day as much as possible) or hand it over to a more competent team that is more willing to take compromises in "fidelity" and leave tons of promises on the cutting floor with clear deadlines for release.
  • There is also a chance they just continue cruising as is, with no release of any kind for as long as there is no other external influence that forces their hand one way or another. Which leads me to:
  • Are the Calders getting the return on their investment as expected? What (and when) are the consequences if not? Remember they originally invested in 2018.
  • Are regulators and/or consumer protection agencies interested at all in this project? If they do, do they have the means to intervene one way or another at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom