Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Strangely enough...the feeling of claustrophobia isn't really an issue. I miss scooting around the galaxy to a certain extent but with the planetary surfaces having that extra bit of oomph in SC and with the way the entire player perspective is changed by being an FPS game... but with spaceships... almost offsets that to a certain degree. It's hard to get around that perspective change when looking at SC from a strictly ED players viewpoint...but the SC players will get where I'm coming from.

It's the reason I shy away from making any comparisons between the two, they really are totally different 🤷‍♂️
NMS has the cartoony style but the proc gen world is excellent for a game that allows the illusion to be the chosen one - or rag along with other players. But the world that is designed will probably alway look more breathtaking. I'm habing a hard time picking a base spot in satisfactory between convenience and vista.

NMS has the cartoony style but the proc gen world is excellent for a game that allows the illusion to be the chosen one - or rag along with other players. But the world that is designed will probably alway look more breathtaking. I'm habing a hard time picking a base spot in satisfactory between convenience and vista.
The strange thing is...when I'm playing SC I rarely pay much attention to the planetary scenery...since I play it similarly to the way I played ED on occasion...space trucking and the like, just firing in and out of various spaceports or R&R stops collecting or delivering cargo. It's only on the few occasions I've just stopped and looked...or a nice sunset that's happened just as I'm running back to the ship full of cargo on the pad that I've noticed.

Between how much hardware and electricity continues to be consumed by Bitcoin mining, and how often NFTs get bandied about these days, it’s nice to see there’s still a tiny sliver of sanity In this world…
I don't know if there is any sanity. The bloke there is whatabouting like crazy. "I don't want to hear any complaints about Star Citizen selling ships for a thousand dollars"

Thousand dollar pretend spaceships is not normal. Someone charging an utterly ludicrous $30,000 for spaceships does not mean that thousand dollar pretend spaceships is now normal

As for planets, well, while SC's planets get a lot more handcrafted love, i'd feel claustrophobic playing SC after ED.
If you're looking for claustrophobic planets, try Space Engineers! Though even those planets feel "big" when exploring them at ground level. A small "full" planet can feel much bigger, from an explorer's perspective, than a giant empty one. There's a reason river cruises are becoming more popular than ocean cruises, at least here in the States.

Thousand dollar pretend spaceships is not normal.
I thought that at first too, but then people tell me that a few thousand dollars for a computer that can play Odyssey smoothly "isn't much" (then throw in VR gear and 32 button HOTAS and vibrating chairs and ....) so I kinda wonder if we're not already suckers on some level.

If you're looking for claustrophobic planets, try Space Engineers! Though even those planets feel "big" when exploring them at ground level. A small "full" planet can feel much bigger, from an explorer's perspective, than a giant empty one. There's a reason river cruises are becoming more popular than ocean cruises, at least here in the States.
When I think "Ocean going liner" the words "Plague ship" come to mind.

Thousand dollar pretend spaceships is not normal.
I thought that at first too, but then people tell me that a few thousand dollars for a computer that can play Odyssey smoothly "isn't much" (then throw in VR gear and 32 button HOTAS and vibrating chairs and ....) so I kinda wonder if we're not already suckers on some level.
Did you just equate thousand-dollar-pretend-spaceships to few-thousand-dollar-computer-hardware-that-can-play-hundreds-of-great-games-in-VR-smoothly? :sick:

CIG, and the devs of StarAtlas, want to hire you for their marketing teams 😃

"Microtransactions are bad, but macrotransactions are good! Don't buy quality hardware to play awesome games, buy imaginary spaceships instead!" 😂

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Did you just equate thousand-dollar-pretend-spaceships to few-thousand-dollar-computer-hardware-that-can-play-hundreds-of-great-games-in-VR-smoothly? :sick:
Yeah, but I still want to use this thread to compare offtopic issues that have absolutely nothing to do or that are orders of magnitude different so I can feel validated in my criticism, and which means you must indeed be a sucker on some level.

Last edited:

CIG, and the devs of StarAtlas, want to hire you for their marketing teams 😃

"Microtransactions are bad, but macrotransactions are good! Don't buy quality hardware to play awesome games, buy imaginary spaceships instead!" 😂
If anything, the fact that you would spend a thousand dollars (assuming $10 each avg) on those hundreds of great games (all of which are "pretend") goes to prove my point. If someone wants to just live their lives in ONE game rather than hundreds of games, then is a thousand dollar space ship any different than a thousand dollars worth of games that sit unplayed on your computer?

Look, I'm not buying these ships, but if I start judging those who do, then I might want to do the math on all the $$$ I've spent over the years on pretend ships and horses and haircuts and outfits and games I've not even downloaded yet.

My non-nerd friends would think we are ALL nuts for the money we pour into this hobby. Just sayin 🤷‍♂️

(Disclaimer - me and my friends are on the lower end of the wealth spectrum, lower-middle class, so it's a different calculus for me than it is for those who spend $1000 on a bottle of wine without blinking. At least a pretend spaceship doesn't go through you and into the toilet the very next day!)

If anything, the fact that you would spend a thousand dollars (assuming $10 each avg) on those hundreds of great games (all of which are "pretend") goes to prove my point. If someone wants to just live their lives in ONE game rather than hundreds of games, then is a thousand dollar space ship any different than a thousand dollars worth of games that sit unplayed on your computer?

Look, I'm not buying these ships, but if I start judging those who do, then I might want to do the math on all the $$$ I've spent over the years on pretend ships and horses and haircuts and outfits and games I've not even downloaded yet.

My non-nerd friends would think we are ALL nuts for the money we pour into this hobby. Just sayin 🤷‍♂️

(Disclaimer - me and my friends are on the lower end of the wealth spectrum, lower-middle class, so it's a different calculus for me than it is for those who spend $1000 on a bottle of wine without blinking. At least a pretend spaceship doesn't go through you and into the toilet the very next day!)
Ewww, reading your misguided justifications there makes me seriously ill :sick:

Man, the predatory micro/macrotransaction games industry marketers would love to hire you 😃

"Buy the thousand dollar imaginary ships, which are good! Don't laugh at those who do! And don't buy the £5 games through Humble Bundle because you might not play them, that money goes to charity which is bad!" :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oo, seeing as we're doing tangents... details plz :)

After talking to one of the professional deckhands employed on her in a bar, I discovered all the steward, hospitality, catering and cleaning team were in fact unpaid lower tier members of the church, waiting on the higher tiered ones.

That said, they did some good while they were there, as they were doing charity work with schools and the ilk too.

They also really look after that wee liner well. She's in amazing condition for her age.

After talking to one of the professional deckhands employed on her in a bar, I discovered all the steward, hospitality, catering and cleaning team were in fact unpaid lower tier members of the church, waiting on the higher tiered ones.

That said, they did some good while they were there, as they were doing charity work with schools and the ilk too.

They also really look after that wee liner well. She's in amazing condition for her age.

At the risk of going off topic (and I genuinely am, because I'm not making some 'Concierge tiers' dig here), they're kind of known to be on the look out for the vulnerable people as recruits, so most of their charity work (notably with drug rehabilitation etc), needs to be taken with a big old pinch of salt. (And naturally overt charitable acts also help them procure religious status and tax exemptions in those regions which fall for that gambit).

If I was running a school or rehabilitation centre, I wouldn't let 'em anywhere near it. Unless I was exceptionally desperate that is...

But that does sound very Scientology for sure. Cheers for the info :)

You know, I read @old Duck’s post completely differently.

I personally tend to leave deep fingerprints in every dollar bill I spend on games, but that’s because I see no point in spending money on a game I won’t immediately play. The money I save on not buying a game I won’t play tends to go into MMOs I do play. OTOH, my gaming hardware budget is much bigger than my gaming software budget, primarily because I’ll be using it to play the few games I do buy, and as long as I stay in budget, I prefer quality hardware.

Even if half the games I play often use 2D sprites. ;)

I’ve spent thousands of dollars, though, over the years on many of the MMOs I’ve played. Ultimately Online was a subscription game I played for three years IIRC, so that’s easily 400 right there. Champions Online got quite a bit of my budget for cosmetics and expansions, I regretted how much I backed MWO for, given how it changed direction midway through development. Both SE and ED have gotten my money for cosmetics, and I recently dropped money for music and cosmetics for Surviving Mars.

If someone wants to spend hundreds or thousands on Pay-to-Win, that’s fine as long as they don’t pretend it’s not pay to win.

My main issue with Star Citizen is that it continues to claim to be a crowd funded game. It does this to protect itself from many consumer protection laws (since crowd funding is a “grey legal area”, especially in the US), as well as from formal reviews. But CIG isn’t operating like a crowd funded game, especially when it comes to “executive” compensation… especially since the “executives” in question are Chris Roberts, his (once secret) wife, his brother, and his long time friend and business partner. And this is something I consider to be utterly unethical, especially given the shell company shuffle CIG uses to obfuscate what’s going on while claiming they are transparent.

I personally tend to leave deep fingerprints in every dollar bill I spend on games, but that’s because I see no point in spending money on a game I won’t immediately play. The money I save on not buying a game I won’t play tends to go into MMOs I do play. OTOH, my gaming hardware budget is much bigger than my gaming software budget, primarily because I’ll be using it to play the few games I do buy, and as long as I stay in budget, I prefer quality hardware.

I’ve spent thousands of dollars, though, over the years on many of the MMOs I’ve played. Ultimately Online was a subscription game I played for three years IIRC, so that’s easily 400 right there. Champions Online got quite a bit of my budget for cosmetics and expansions, I regretted how much I backed MWO for, given how it changed direction midway through development. Both SE and ED have gotten my money for cosmetics, and I recently dropped money for music and cosmetics for Surviving Mars.

If someone wants to spend hundreds or thousands on Pay-to-Win, that’s fine as long as they don’t pretend it’s not pay to win.

My main issue with Star Citizen is that it continues to claim to be a crowd funded game. It does this to protect itself from many consumer protection laws (since crowd funding is a “grey legal area”, especially in the US), as well as from formal reviews. But CIG isn’t operating like a crowd funded game, especially when it comes to “executive” compensation… especially since the “executives” in question are Chris Roberts, his (once secret) wife, his brother, and his long time friend and business partner. And this is something I consider to be utterly unethical, especially given the shell company shuffle CIG uses to obfuscate what’s going on while claiming they are transparent.
Excellently put (y)

At the risk of going off topic (and I genuinely am, because I'm not making some 'Concierge tiers' dig here), they're kind of known to be on the look out for the vulnerable people as recruits, so most of their charity work (notably with drug rehabilitation etc), needs to be taken with a big old pinch of salt. (And naturally overt charitable acts also help them procure religious status and tax exemptions in those regions which fall for that gambit).

If I was running a school or rehabilitation centre, I wouldn't let 'em anywhere near it. Unless I was exceptionally desperate that is...

But that does sound very Scientology for sure. Cheers for the info :)
No probs. IIRC she was in Antigua at the time bringing higher tier members to see how the building of schools they'd thrown money (and a wee bit of manpower at) was progressing post the '17 hurricane season on the island.

Did a wee search of my social media and found a photo of her too
FB_IMG_1652396493792.jpg

iu

Top Bottom