General / Off-Topic Starship SN8 Live At SpaceX Boca Chica Launch Facility

WOW! That was awesome!

Shame they didn't nail the landing but they'll no doubt have a tonne of data to figure out why for the next flight.
Green flames from one engine... was it meant to be only on 2 to land I wonder. I expected it to fail at the flip or the fins to rip off tbh, super impressed with that for a first flight!

Also worth noting - it also didn't really leave that big a crater as it managed to find the landing pad! (I did wonder if it was heading for the hangar at one point lol)

(I think that was the landing pad... and not the staff carpark!!!)

Are you kidding me?
You have any idea how many times the Falcon prototypes failed? Now look at it.

This was a success. They have a ton of data recorded for SN 9 test.

It was absolutely incredible to watch live :LOL:
Errr.... I watched as well. They 'tried' to land it. Too late in my opinion.

"The schedule is dynamic and likely to change, as is the case with all development testing," the company said. Before the 'test'. I agree that what SpaceX are doing, makes NASA look like stone age rock throwing, but the bottom line is. They failed to achieve all of their targets, thus failed and for someone to say. "Nice work" is just silly.

Also worth noting - it also didn't really leave that big a crater as it managed to find the landing pad! (I did wonder if it was heading for the hangar at one point lol)

(I think that was the landing pad... and not the staff carpark!!!)
Yes, they just missed the platform. I still think that, they fired up and turned over, to late. One has to wonder, who did the maths?

The nose sort of survived and perhaps one of the flaps! nothing a hammer can't knock out!

20201209-nailed-the-landing.png

They didn't miss anything, debris were bang on the center of the landing pad. (Bang on, ah! Ehm...)

Issues at the end with low pressure from header tank, so engines didn't light up properly to slow it down enough. I guess the green flame at the end might as well have been some copper piping in the engine itself burning away due to wrong fuel mixture from pressure anomaly. A failure would have been blowing a landing of a production model with people aboard. Tests like this are made to gather data, also and especially from things going wrong. Due to that data, SN9 likely won't have header tank pressure issues during landing.

I'm really surprised how little attention this has gotten in the media (other than the 'it exploded' part) and how negatively people here seem to be reacting to it.

SpaceX has completely changed the game when it comes to Space flight. They aren't afraid of failure, they embrace it. Rather than spending decades working on something they are 90% sure will work they just try it. If it fails they learn from the failure and change the design. How many Saturn V rockets were built before Apollo 11? How much money did NASA spend and how many people did they kill doing it (3). The next Starship prototype is already built and will we probably land on the next test in a few weeks.

SpaceX are launching Satellites multiple times a week because they dared to fail. They recover nearly everything that the aren't launching into space. The last time I looked they had reused a launch vehicle 9 times!

They are making our Sci-fi dreams come true!!

They aren't afraid of failure, they embrace it. Rather than spending decades working on something they are 90% sure will work they just try it. If it fails they learn from the failure and change the design. How many Saturn V rockets were built before Apollo 11? How much money did NASA spend and how many people did they kill doing it (3).
Lest we forget the unfortunates during the space shuttle era..... I agree with you. Go Elon!

I'm really surprised how little attention this has gotten in the media (other than the 'it exploded' part) and how negatively people here seem to be reacting to it.

SpaceX has completely changed the game when it comes to Space flight. They aren't afraid of failure, they embrace it. Rather than spending decades working on something they are 90% sure will work they just try it. If it fails they learn from the failure and change the design. How many Saturn V rockets were built before Apollo 11? How much money did NASA spend and how many people did they kill doing it (3). The next Starship prototype is already built and will we probably land on the next test in a few weeks.

SpaceX are launching Satellites multiple times a week because they dared to fail. They recover nearly everything that the aren't launching into space. The last time I looked they had reused a launch vehicle 9 times!

They are making our Sci-fi dreams come true!!

I agree: SpaceX makes NASA look like a group of stone throwing apes.

I suppose a lot of NASA engineers are working with or in collaboration with Space X.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

If I worked for NASA and got offered a job at SpaceX I’d be off like a shot!!

If could get a job with them as a cleaner and it paid enough I’d be on the next flight to Texas just so I could be a part of it somehow 😂

If I worked for NASA and got offered a job at SpaceX I’d be off like a shot!!

If could get a job with them as a cleaner and it paid enough I’d be on the next flight to Texas just so I could be a part of it somehow 😂
Even working for NASA wouldn’t bother me.

It is a prestigious company that has achieved extraordinary things.

For the moment, Space X has not made me vibrate like NASA and its epic of great explorers.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Top Bottom