Starting systems equipment

But what is the idea behind this?
Behind locking the starter zone? It's actually once you got a rank (any rank) in any of the three professions (don't know if CQC counts, I'd hope not) and dock outside the starter zone, your permit is revoked. This is intended to keep predators out of the kiddie pool. Even if an experienced CMDR clears their save and returns to the starter area, they're limited to what they can get there. As any automatic schemes, it's not foolproof, though - you can set up e.g. a D-rated Viper that will swallow Sideys without chewing.
And yes, in order to afford A-rated modules, you'll need to make money, which automagically will grant you a rank.

It may be possible to get a small engineered ship back into the starter systems...

I reckon if you took out a few choice targets with a KWS you could make enough credits to buy an A rated Eagle without becoming ‘mostly harmless’.

You could then unlock Dweller and engineer thermals and PD.

Muh-ha-ha...

I'm currently wondering if there's anything else to discover in the starter Systems. I have a Cobra Mk III, as well equipped as it can be, with about 1.5 Million credits in the bank. Have been doing more Combat than anything, but simply don't have the DPS to stop ships running. I have fitted two C1 Seeker Missile racks, so I can at least try to snipe Thrusters, but ran out of ammo before I could try it.

Already have an invite to Todd "The Blaster" McQuinn...

Scoob.

It may be possible to get a small engineered ship back into the starter systems...

I reckon if you took out a few choice targets with a KWS you could make enough credits to buy an A rated Eagle without becoming ‘mostly harmless’.

You could then unlock Dweller and engineer thermals and PD.

Muh-ha-ha...
You'd need to make close to a milion credits from what, ~20 "harmless" kills? The Dweller already wants half a mill up front.

I'm currently wondering if there's anything else to discover in the starter Systems. I have a Cobra Mk III, as well equipped as it can be, with about 1.5 Million credits in the bank. Have been doing more Combat than anything, but simply don't have the DPS to stop ships running. I have fitted two C1 Seeker Missile racks, so I can at least try to snipe Thrusters, but ran out of ammo before I could try it.

Already have an invite to Todd "The Blaster" McQuinn...

Scoob.

Probably not. A couple of days ago I cobbled together (in theory) a Viper that should be possible to build in the starter area (minus the interdictor). In theory, that should put out enough DPS to mince most stock ships, i.e. low level NPCs. Downside is that you will need to get close (for the Frags, 200 meters is about right) and git gud at aiming with the rails - nothing you couldn't do just as well outside.

https://s.orbis.zone/agO4

I was able to get to a Cobra in one night in the starter systems, now fully D rated with beams and rail guns. I just barely took down a dangerous Anaconda with it last night, took at least 20m and I only had 27% hull left by the end but it was the most pve fun I’ve had in a long time .... way more fun than my full engineered corvette original account. Now I’m just winging up with newbies in sidewinders and helping them out which is also quite enjoyable. It was easy to forget how steep the learning curve is in this game until you have to explain it to someone brand new. Most of them don’t even know about rebuy!

I was just doing some missions - taking a break from combat - but the mission board server is currently down "Failed to communicate with Server" when clicking on the Mission Board.

Hopefully when I venture out of the starter systems these little issues will go away as there will be less players.

Edit: game has become unplayable for me, long jump times ending in crashes, cannot re-enter Open, just get a black screen. Lovely. Server Status now showing as Offline.

Scoob.

Last edited:
Behind locking the starter zone? It's actually once you got a rank (any rank) in any of the three professions (don't know if CQC counts, I'd hope not) and dock outside the starter zone, your permit is revoked. This is intended to keep predators out of the kiddie pool. Even if an experienced CMDR clears their save and returns to the starter area, they're limited to what they can get there. As any automatic schemes, it's not foolproof, though - you can set up e.g. a D-rated Viper that will swallow Sideys without chewing.
And yes, in order to afford A-rated modules, you'll need to make money, which automagically will grant you a rank.
No not that... the idea that ones you dock at a fleet carrier you directly locked out off the beginning systems.

I don't agree with the "it's fine" thing. I played it last night and the huge lack of outfitting was obvious. There's no need for B to A rated stuff but after I'd docked following my first foray, with some pocket change to spend on my ship, there was nothing. Not actually even outfitting at the coriolis I'd docked at.

It tarnished the experience. Having even a small upgrade after a sortie is such a big new player pull. Having none whatsoever is needlessly off putting.

Except for that, some badly designed starter mission templates and bullet sponge npcs, it was a vastly better experience than beta/gamma. Still, lots of room for improvement.

It's my second Alt account now, so I've been in the starter zone before.
I couldn't wait to drop the tutorial & was out of the zone in half a hour, in my Sidewinder....I'll progress from the 'normal' Galaxy.

I couldn't wait to drop the tutorial & was out of the zone in half a hour, in my Sidewinder....I'll progress from the 'normal' Galaxy.
Yeh, I'm getting that vibe pretty quickly. On reflection I'd say it's pretty neat altogether but clearly designed to get you away as fast as possible.

My only negative experience is how OTT harmless target hull values are for a new player. I remember combat in beta and gamma and it was so much more fun than this.

Last edited:
Since commodity sales to FC no longer effect trade rank, one can theoretically now immediately jump just outside the new player area to your alts/friend's FC, go get given a few hundred million, buy and A-rate a FDL there, and return to the new player area.

Exactly what I did :) I couldn't wait to get on with it.

The tutorial was a real ball ache,especially when I realised I'd spelt my name wrong and had to start again.

LOL ... I installed the game onto an alternative laptop with only the Intel integrated graphics to see if it would run. It actually runs the training nicely on low settings.

The point is, the training was very challenging .... because I only had keyboard and mouse to control the ship, not my joystick. I actually enjoyed the challenge, because I felt like a real noob again ! :)

No, you can't have an FDL in the noob zone! :ROFLMAO:
Somebody didn't get a memo then!

2020-11-22 02-49-27 Matet-Coelho Station.jpg

Top Bottom