State of the Game

Problem there is a "massive invasion" of more than 20 ships would drop the framerate to glacial levels! 🤣
you can distribute it across say.. 100 or more systems simultaneously.. that's just a fraction of the populated systems in the bubble.

with USS's containing only a few each :) just lots and lots of USS's per system ...

though i thought the cz framerate wasn't too bad these days? i've been out in the black since long before odyssey released so i'm not sure what state it's in. if it's anything like roid fields then it only recently saw some improvements not related to fsr. Not as good as horizons ..but not unplayable.

though, this hypothetical event would be playable in horizons as well. nothing about it would be odyssey specific

679fe5df546da5da13f2f1db27bb306f.gif

There has been a rash of these fools. One was on reddit after being ganked after seven months looking at balls and quite frankly I laughed like a hyena on N â‚‚O.

The whole idea of being ganked in general is just stupid. You have to choose to play in open ...so you directly invite the situation that you apparently dont want to happen amidst multiple other options that would entirely exclude that situation.

so already, you know you're talking to someone who is intelligent.

on one hand.. they sound almost too dumb to believe ..weeks if not months of gameplay and never once checked forums or youtube videos or anything about how the game behaves. It sounds made up just as flamebait.

The whole idea of being ganked in general is just stupid. You have to choose to play in open ...so you directly invite the situation that you apparently dont want to happen amidst multiple other options that would entirely exclude that situation.

so already, you know you're talking to someone who is intelligent.

on one hand.. they sound almost too dumb to believe ..weeks if not months of gameplay and never once checked forums or youtube videos or anything about how the game behaves. It sounds made up just as flamebait.
Well they got the peepee siphoned from the bladder over on Eite Dangerous over it too :D

the main thing to blame FDev for is overhyping a vision to raise funding and afterwards not living up to it - and now they seem to have given up on the game - just making it ready for the final cash grab with console Odyssey. Hello Games had overhyped the vision for NMS as well, but they haven't given up on it and in the end they actually live up to their vision and those expansion are free.

You know, when I'm playing NMS (and I'm doing that a lot lately) I have actually a lot of fun and have a hard time to logout - just like it is in EVE - the game keeps me interested. 2 days ago I started building farms - set up 2 quite big ones even - fiddled with energy needs and how to run it efficiently. Those 2 farms make me freaking 25-30 million every day. I'm not certain if that is a good move though, because I will be quite rich in pretty much no time and then those farms will be pointless, because I'd need no further money - on the other side it is good, because I'd achieved financial independence and can just do what I want without caring for the money part.

Exploration on planets is fun now, where my funds are still limited (8 figures), but will it still be fun once I will be rich and need nothing of what can be found on planets? But then again, I can start over in survival mode and it will be a different experience - every planet is a different experience there, they have all something familiar to them, but as well something extremely alien - NMS is more kind of fantasy sci-fi and it has some magic as well - like those storage vaults, numbered, as long as I put the same numbered vault into a new place, it will have all the stuff in it in every such vault - the magical box thing - a QoL thing, but straight out fantasy - but it makes playing so much less tedious and much more fun. Those teleporters are nuts as well - but they avoid boring tedious repetition of stuff you have seen and done already and one can concentrate on new and exciting things. And this feels so different to ED, where I had the feeling there is nothing interesting to do in the game, whereas NMS is filled with interesting stuff to do.

FDev could have made ED great, but instead they just did the bare minimum and sometimes not even that - and for that they are to blame.

the main thing to blame FDev for is overhyping a vision to raise funding and afterwards not living up to it - and now they seem to have given up on the game - just making it ready for the final cash grab with console Odyssey. Hello Games had overhyped the vision for NMS as well, but they haven't given up on it and in the end they actually live up to their vision and those expansion are free.

You know, when I'm playing NMS (and I'm doing that a lot lately) I have actually a lot of fun and have a hard time to logout - just like it is in EVE - the game keeps me interested. 2 days ago I started building farms - set up 2 quite big ones even - fiddled with energy needs and how to run it efficiently. Those 2 farms make me freaking 25-30 million every day. I'm not certain if that is a good move though, because I will be quite rich in pretty much no time and then those farms will be pointless, because I'd need no further money - on the other side it is good, because I'd achieved financial independence and can just do what I want without caring for the money part.

Exploration on planets is fun now, where my finds are still limited (8 figures), but will it still be fun once I will be rich and need nothing of what can be found on planets? But then again, I can start over in survival mode and it will be a different experience - every planet is a different experience there, they have all something familiar to them, but as well something extremely alien - NMS is more kind of fantasy sci-fi and it has some magic as well - like those storage vaults, numbered, as long as I put the same numbered vault into a new place, it will have all the stuff in it in every such vault - the magical box thing - a QoL thing, but straight out fantasy - but it makes playing so much less tedious and much more fun. Those teleporters are nuts as well - but they avoid boring tedious repetition of stuff you have seen and done already and one can concentrate on new and exciting things. And this feels so different to ED, where I had the feeling there is nothing interesting to do in the game, whereas NMS is filled with interesting stuff to do.

FDev could have made ED great, but instead they just did the bare minimum and sometimes not even that - and for that they are to blame.
Its more that FD softened ED to such a sponge like state its become unsatisfying, and can't make it like it was to begin with because of the wet people.

where is update 7?

they had multiple things marked as ready over a week ago. this entire period could have been used to test those things and verify fixes and identify regressions.

I can never re-find those threads :p but whilst they may have things marked as done, not everything (intended for the next patch) is, clearly.
In fact, its pretty clear the no. 1 issue that was marked as done, lighting, is not either, hence the thread focussing on that for more feedback.

I can never re-find those threads :p but whilst they may have things marked as done, not everything (intended for the next patch) is, clearly.
In fact, its pretty clear the no. 1 issue that was marked as done, lighting, is not either, hence the thread focussing on that for more feedback.

That's not how updates / patches have to work.

You look at what's been completed. Merge those to trunk/master/head. Do whatever testing fdev internally does (hah)...and you release that.

There is no need to have a predefined set of things that are going into an update like this. This isn't a DLC update or pre-defined release. These are beta fixes and updates to an DLC that will be re-released at a later date.

Every week you pull in what's been completed and release that. Sometimes there's only one or a couple things. Sometimes more. Sometimes it's not impactful, sometimes it is. But they're in small chunks so they can be tested without the pages of changes that make tracking down issues impossible.

I didn't say they had to work that way. But clearly, there was no update today... so its not ready :)
I would rather have it when they believe it is ready than have 20 updates a day (or one a day etc) with one thing adjusted / fixed / broken again.

Sure, doing as you suggest could be great for the game too... for those that opt into it. A lot of dev's have Beta branches of their titles that receive regular build updates before pushing to stable... but fdev don't do that. They run an alpha which is really just a "show it off pre-release teaser" and not a true alpha/beta.

The game is not in a completely unplayable state right now.. I know, because I've been playing it as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom