State of the Game

Ah... such enlightened & topical comments came to me in my discord message, I am humbled by the depth of accurate reasoning and lucidity in his awesome words...
What is with Ender and twilight? One meme mocking it, and he's written four dissertations on it, along with a stack of other crap about it.
I wonder if the comments about Kristen are a distraction for his love of werewolf boy? Or Patts the horseface vampire?
I find it disturbing and unpalatable, but safe to say I'm being very polite in the hope that you might pass on this comment to our dear SotG thread

Moderators will need to work like a buffering liquid then, that will absorb these sub-comment particles as they ooze through the forums ever vigilantly.

:D S

Ah... such enlightened & topical comments came to me in my discord message, I am humbled by the depth of accurate reasoning and lucidity in his awesome words...
What is with Ender and twilight? One meme mocking it, and he's written four dissertations on it, along with a stack of other crap about it.
I wonder if the comments about Kristen are a distraction for his love of werewolf boy? Or Patts the horseface vampire?
I find it disturbing and unpalatable, but safe to say I'm being very polite in the hope that you might pass on this comment to our dear SotG thread

Called it!

Moderators will need to work like a buffering liquid then, that will absorb these sub-comment particles as they ooze through the forums ever vigilantly.

i would fear that their ability to absorb all of that comment-radiation would be tested if/when Fdev announces that the console release of odyssey is cancelled. We could be looking at another "offline mode is not happening" event.

i dont report anyone ever, just to be clear. cept that one guy who tried to get the thread locked by spamming a bunch of nudity and horrible music videos to the thread - but that was for the thread. But this thread is definitely viewed by the cops all the time and such spoilers could be construed as circumventing moderation if they really have an issue with the guy. and they seem to do.

i would fear that their ability to absorb all of that comment-radiation would be tested if/when Fdev announces that the console release of odyssey is cancelled. We could be looking at another "offline mode is not happening" event.
Hot moderators would of course have to be cycled out and replaced with fresh ones until they cool down and can be cycled back in.

ModeratorHotness.jpg

Yup. My heart broke when they caved to that. Don't get me wrong, its what they should have done in the first place - having the 5A one allowed to have an experimental attached while the others didn't (and to have Sally come in after that was pointed out to tell everyone that it was by design) was ludicrous.

But the second Frontier did the "fine fine fine, you've whinged our heads off, we'll give you what you want" the eyes of half the kids in the forums lit up like Christmas trees. I'm guessing that's why the Console Crazies Squad have now infected absolutely every thread, believing that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

The really, really, really, REALLY squeaky wheel. The usually completely incoherent squeaky wheel.
That ship already sailed way way back when they originally introduced double engineered gear and altered the reward tier for getting the first double engineered class 5 drive from top 25% to top 75% just because enough people had a cry about it on the forums.

If ever something demanded the 'no you can't have any sweets and you won't have any pocket money either if you don't stop crying!' response, that was it.

That ship already sailed way way back when they originally introduced double engineered gear and altered the reward tier for getting the first double engineered class 5 drive from top 25% to top 75% just because enough people had a cry about it on the forums.

If ever something demanded the 'no you can't have any sweets and you won't have any pocket money either if you don't stop crying!' response, that was it.
Solution to all this nonsense is to remove all engineering on ship destruction. Power creep resolved, double-engineering craziness resolved, grind issues resolved*.

*OK these may need a bit of rejigging to ensure there is still even a shade of a point to go for G4 or G5. Perhaps randomise the outcome again like the "good old days" but make G1-3 easier accessible?

Solution to all this nonsense is to remove all engineering on ship destruction. Power creep resolved, double-engineering craziness resolved, grind issues resolved*.

*OK these may need a bit of rejigging to ensure there is still even a shade of a point to go for G4 or G5. Perhaps randomise the outcome again like the "good old days" but make G1-3 easier accessible?

losing engineered attributes should have always been a thing if they wanted to stay consistent with the lore they put around what engineers are.

but they needed players to participate in engineers because the real purpose of engineers is to drive player game time played. that's their only real purpose and it drives their design and the mechanics involved with them.

powerplay failed in that respect because it required new content that was costly to produce and only attractive to a smallish subset of players. but they knew what really would drive most players was the little carrot they associated with powerplay as a kind of throw-away idea. The power play module.

cue a bunch of time later and you have a super low overhead way to create new content (engineer mods) ...that are like drugs to players even when they are pointless to the game. these engineers unsurprisingly dont add any new real game mechanics. ..but they keep people in the existing loops with nearly no upkeep. win.

Last edited:

I'd be fine with that, but then I play pretty much exclusively in solo lol.

losing engineered attributes should have always been a thing if they wanted to stay consistent with the lore they put around what engineers are.

but they needed players to participate in engineers because the real purpose of engineers is to drive player game time played. that's their only real purpose and it drives their design and the mechanics involved with them.
Gaming is about wasting time anyway, if in a way that is constructive for well-being purposes. So yeah, engineering is a great cluster of game loops. But it has the problem that once you are done upgrading you are done. You have won the game. Remove engineered features upon ship destruction, and the game can continue for perpetuity.

Honestly, based on the focused feedback thread about Engineering they had, I just hope they don't do something truly awful and bin the notion of materials off entirely in favour of just using credits. The amount of "The whole thing is stupid, I should just be able to dock, tell them what I want doing, pay my bill, and be on my way" suggestions did my head in.

(Although hilarity would ensue if they DID do that, but also tossed in them being told "Oooh, yeah I can fit you in but you'll have to leave it with me until the end of the week" at which point it wouldn't ACTUALLY be ready for two months)

Back
Top Bottom