State of the Game

How odd are games?

Half-Life: Alyx - I play it on this PC, solid 90 FPS in VR on the Index: Then play it on my laptop (I7 / GTX 1070) 90 FPS and lower detail textures, but still very good graphically!
After the Fall: Ditto... and very playable
EDO: I play it on this PC and can set it to 80 FPS and it is mostly good, mixed High & Ultra settings: On my laptop it is a no go... Not if I've eaten in the last few hours anyway...

I know EDO has issues....

Have you tried being funny?
Wash your mouth out! 😤

There is no room for levity on this forum!

how-dare-you-screaming-lady.gif

Bloomin forrin measurements...

So about 3 ft wide, 2 ft 10 inches long and 13 inches high, then? 🍻
I did lol at 'roughly' and then gives measurements to the centimetre. I'd have just said 'about three foot square and a foot tall' :D

I'm tempted once its 'done' to take it apart totally and rebuild it from the ground up now that I know how it goes together to eliminate bodges I did along the way.
This was the point where you crossed a line into obsession. Just in case you find yourself looking back in a few years and asking where it all went wrong.

How odd are games?

Half-Life: Alyx - I play it on this PC, solid 90 FPS in VR on the Index: Then play it on my laptop (I7 / GTX 1070) 90 FPS and lower detail textures, but still very good graphically!
After the Fall: Ditto... and very playable
EDO: I play it on this PC and can set it to 80 FPS and it is mostly good, mixed High & Ultra settings: On my laptop it is a no go... Not if I've eaten in the last few hours anyway...

I know EDO has issues....

well, what kind of games was Cobra working with prior to elite? rollercoaster tycoon kind of complexity.

During kickstarter they probably had to do so much work on the engine either in the base code or as hacks specifically for elite that it's unlikely it's doing many things ideally where as those other games are probably built from the ground up specifically for the game or using an engine that's built primarily for those kind of games.

it's such a departure from the previous kind of games the engine was built on that it's probably pretty surprising that it does as well as it is. But i think we're seeing the limits given the complexity of scenes in odyssey and the order of operations in rendering those scenes not having been something designed into it from the ground-up.

I did lol at 'roughly' and then gives measurements to the centimetre. I'd have just said 'about three foot square and a foot tall' :D

This was the point where you crossed a line into obsession. Just in case you find yourself looking back in a few years and asking where it all went wrong.
actually they used feet and inches, but lets not get pedantic.

And usually when a guy says its roughly this long, they are overstating the messurement :)

actually they used feet and inches, but lets not get pedantic.

And usually when a guy says its roughly this long, they are overstating the messurement :)
No, Ratty used feet and inches. Rubbernuke's original post which Ratty's was a reply to (and to which I was referring to in my post) used centimetres. But as you say, let's not get pedantic. Especially when you're wrong :p

The model is about 95cm wide, 93cm long and 34cm high.

Can you give them funny voices. I have a voice for each of you when I read your posts, usually grumpy old men/women voices.

There's a deep fake for voices that they're using commercially and i'm sure there will be some public one created at some point if not already. You just need a sample of the person's voice you want to copy and then it'll say whatever you want in the same voice.

edit: the future of trusting anything you dont personally witness in real life is going to be so much fun!

edit2: https://www.descript.com/overdub

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom