Stations labelled with FSP#

To answer the necromancer's question:
Has anyone actually made a list/database of all the Fed Space Port numbers with name and location?
The main problem with this is, "Federation starports" change hands. Most of the Federal starports that were in the game back when the OP was posted, are no longer under Federal control. The Federation continues to shrink, at a rate of about 50 systems per month, so any such "list" would quickly fill up with obsolete entries.

The starports wouldn't have unique numbers, though. They're four procedurally-generated digits, which is a fancy way of saying that they're "random". There are well over 10000 Coriolis/Orbis/Ocellus/asteroid space stations in the game (12589, according to EDSM); if every single one of them were turned to Federal control, there'd be lots of duplicate numbers.

10,500 Fed Space Ports according to EDDB. But are you sure they’re decimal numbers? four hexadecimal numbers would cater for 65,535 stations

The Federation continues to shrink, at a rate of about 50 systems per month, so any such "list" would quickly fill up with obsolete entries.

Is there a good website to track this kind of thing? I would love to see Alliance/Empire gains/losses as well.

10,500 Fed Space Ports according to EDDB. But are you sure they’re decimal numbers? four hexadecimal numbers would cater for 65,535 stations

They're decimal numbers. Seen dozens of fed starports, never seen anything other than a 0-9 digit there.

Is there a good website to track this kind of thing? I would love to see Alliance/Empire gains/losses as well.

I don't know of a website, but I've personally been posting a quarterly state of the galaxy report for the past few years, in this thread in the BSG subforum.

But basically, the Federation has been shrinking badly (it's half the size it used to be at game launch), the Empire has been shrinking not quite as badly, and the Alliance is growing strongly. The Indies are seeing most growth - which is largely due to the vast majority of players and player groups choosing the Indie way. In most polls I've seen, about 80% of ED players self-identify as Indie / nonaligned.

Ok, good points!
The idea was that if Fed spaceports are consecutively numbered, then a database of all 10,500 currently reported by EDDB would reveal any missing stations and hence might lead to TDW’s stealthed station (since it is likely to be a disused fed station).
However since:
  • the FSP# uses only 4 decimal digits, therefore there would be repeated numbers
  • they are not consecutively numbered but the FSP is generated by a procedural algorithm that depends on station name and the star system (presumably name, though might be galactic coordinates).
  • The Federation has lost systems, and therefore station FSP likely have been lost.
It’s unlikely that this would be a useful line of enquiry. 🙁

Yes we also have to acknowledge that the Codex didn’t exist at that time. Which specifically identifies that the DW is no longer in SD...

My hypothesis is that prior to this, the DW in SD was ‘then’ the real DW and issued the older DW missions that led to Raxxla or some other narrative. That was our ‘tiny bit obvious’, until FD binned it, either because (most likely) it was extremely bugged (eg missions spawning everywhere) or that it was too easy... either way I strongly suspect FD altered the narrative at this point and shelved the DW missions until the Codex, where they force implemented a new DW.

If true then using numbered stations to identify any missing stations wouldn’t find the DW because at that time I believe the DW was in SD...

It was however a grand idea, but FD basically said when questioned around Braben’s “numbered stations” fluff, that all this around Fed stations was auto generated, if it were linked to Raxxla, they had a great concept on their hands, a missed opportunity. But as you pointed out very likely random or just made up.

Top Bottom