Status of pimax support?

Pimax hmd’s are close to release. Has FD mentioned if they’ve vetted it for proper support? In theory it should “just work” since it’s through steam vr, but you never know what hiccups might be found.

Pimax hmd’s are close to release. Has FD mentioned if they’ve vetted it for proper support? In theory it should “just work” since it’s through steam vr, but you never know what hiccups might be found.

I don't know what the official FDev stance is, but ED is certainly working in the PiMAX as demonstrated in Berlin a week or two ago.

From my understanding, the Pimax should just work out of the box with ED.

Should be using steamVR as their basis and that should work.

Elite was definitely one of the main games tested in the Berlin meetup and they seemed more concerned about black levels than wether if it was working or not.

LOL - FDEV offically support a new VR technology! If it works it works, if it doesn't then I doubt they'd do anything to help. Oculus users are still waiting for offical Dash support - The two lines of code they need to add to provide all Rift users with seemless Dash support has proven too difficult for them.

From Decemeber 2017:
"As it stands, we'll need to do a fair bit more in the way of testing before we can commit to officially supporting Dash"

Must be some real hardcore testing going on.... or none at all as I suspect.

My favorite reply from FDEV in regard to VR (April 2018):
"There are a lot of strange issues we at Frontier and other developers are seeing with VR at this moment"

Funny, other developers seem to be doing just fine....

Last edited:
LOL - FDEV offically support a new VR technology! If it works it works, if it doesn't then I doubt they'd do anything to help. Oculus users are still waiting for offical Dash support - The two lines of code they need to add to provide all Rift users with seemless Dash support has proven too difficult for them.

From Decemeber 2017:
"As it stands, we'll need to do a fair bit more in the way of testing before we can commit to officially supporting Dash"

Must be some real hardcore testing going on.... or none at all as I suspect.

My favorite reply from FDEV (April 2018):
"There are a lot of strange issues we at Frontier and other developers are seeing with VR at this moment"

Funny, other developers seem to be doing just fine....

Honestly think it could be to difficult for them, both technically and gameplay wise.
Remember these people still think "repeat action 1 000 000 times" constitutes gameplay.

Elite, in core gameplay mechanics it's as deep as cookie clicker.

You shouldn’t mix up things. Graphics engine developers today are not the same guys as game designers, especially not on projects big like this.
At some point you just have to accept their capabilities and stand towards new technologies. Their game engine is what it is and in an complex online use case surely not easy to change with grown dependencies.
Rather easy should be a swapping of the graphics API, but look how long it took WOW to make that step and that looks still half as’sed. (I hate their language filter, like as's is forbidden word OMG)

In VR their adoption of Oculus APIs is unacceptable slow, at least as they have documented it. The only excuse I see and hope I have is a development for OpenXR being one of the first to support it. Then other fixes would barley make sense...

coming back to the players figures. From the importance of ED features discussed in the forum VR should be quite big among long time players. I would expect most start without VR, so turnover wise it might not have the big accounting figures.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
After reading the OP the other day, my thoughts are...

If the Pimax (and future headsets with the same or better specs) lives up to the hype, transforming the VR experience of elite to another level, it would be great if FDEV's at least gave it a go, as it might further inspire them knowing what is possible.
As for the support, just expecting it to work like the 4K does.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Top Bottom