Stranded By A Rando FC 2k ly from home. Is this the experience the Devs want?

So I made the mistake of not landing on an carrier that belonged to my squad mates and logged off for the night. And that carrier jumped 2k ly from my last position. So my options are self destruct and start again in a Sidewinder in Sol. (Which is nowhere near my home system.) Destroying all my engineered equipment. Or If I'm lucky and have friends with a carrier convince them to spend 4 hours and come and get me. I'm lucky to have friends so they are staying up over night to pick me up. Now imagine a newish player with no mates. No one with a carrier or fuel. They would just uninstall. It would be GG.

You want to be realistic? Okay. You want a challenge? Okay. But just making the player jump for hours or even days is something people are just not going to do. Figure some other way to punish the player that does not waste their time or make them want to quit. This just seems wrong. Like its not intended.
How does the FC owner know you were on board?

So I made the mistake of not landing on an carrier that belonged to my squad mates and logged off for the night. And that carrier jumped 2k ly from my last position. So my options are self destruct and start again in a Sidewinder in Sol. (Which is nowhere near my home system.) Destroying all my engineered equipment. Or If I'm lucky and have friends with a carrier convince them to spend 4 hours and come and get me. I'm lucky to have friends so they are staying up over night to pick me up. Now imagine a newish player with no mates. No one with a carrier or fuel. They would just uninstall. It would be GG.

You want to be realistic? Okay. You want a challenge? Okay. But just making the player jump for hours or even days is something people are just not going to do. Figure some other way to punish the player that does not waste their time or make them want to quit. This just seems wrong. Like its not intended.
Which ship are you using? Do you have a fuel scoop? If not, can you buy one from the carrier?

You could call the fuel rats amd ask them to fly a convoy with you. So they can refuel your tank untill you reach a system where you can buy a scoop.

Last edited:
I didn't read the thread, but someone made a suggestion once that would be super good in this situation. There should be a message board or bulletin board on the fleet carrier so that if a cmdr is planning on heading out to the black, they can post it and give any boarded cmdrs a heads up. I thought that was a good idea.

Yep, this is the OP's problem. I lost several ships in my early travels, always due to my own choices within the game. I took those as learning experiences, you know, "oops, won't do that again" sort of thing. I didn't go looking for more hand-holding. The OP has choices, just because they are not palatable to them doesn't make them all bad.

I'm also frequently baffled by requests to 'Add a warning' or 'Needs a button' for things that no more than poor choices on the players behalf. "But a newbie mightn't know" I hear you cry and I hear that, but you can learn by doing, learn by reading or by being told.. In games, the first one should be the primary option, but it seems all too many players now want the third option for everything. You can learn about the game by reading too, but it seems that many people can't read and comprehend more than 127 characters at a time. I'm all for a good introductory tutorial, apparently there is one now, what I got was a little basic. The tute should cover the basics with tastes of more advanced concepts - enough to interest you to go do or read - or ask. But I don't need games to constantly tell me what to do and how to do it, the Total War series has some terrible examples of Hints, both text and audio. ED is a time sink, this is clear from the marketing, clear from the player videos and becomes glaringly obvious as you play, so I'm always a little bemused by those that claim to be casual players - but not half as bemused as I am when they want changes to 'Easy Mode' because they've picked the wrong game to play, can't/won't admit that they are the problem, not the game or the devs. ED already mostly fails at being Dangerous, might as well go all the way to Elite Boring.

I have one but not the point. The ship I'm in is a FDL fitted for only combat. Jump range about 11ly. 2732ly
Hey, if I can jump 10klys to the nearest carrier after logging out on another carrier in a combat 'vette, you can travel 2k in an FDL. Who knows? Maybe you'll find something interesting along the way. Unless you don't have a fuel scoop... Might want to have a fuel rat tail ya back home. Don't know if they'll actually do that or not, but hey, won't hurt to ask.
And 2k is nearly home distance. 30 k and we are talking about nasty travel.
Try 50k. Yeah...

Word of advice, don't log out on a DSSA carrier in the bubble. Ever.

2k ly? That aint too bad. Depending on your jump range. If you're in a cobra or sidewinder I could understand but if you're getting 40 ly or so per jump 2k is not bad all. Imagaine those guys that went to Beagle point or Colonia before FC's? Savages at FDev I tell you.

But just making the player jump for hours or even days is something people are just not going to do.
Again, I wonder how anyone made it to Sag A before FC's? You're flying without a rebuy it sounds, no fuel scoop (you admitted you couldn't really be bothered to get one) and are complaining that you hobo jumped onto a random FC that it's owner decided to jump where it wanted to and you're complaining this game sucks, that FDev is purposefully creating a sad state of affairs for a choice you consciously made? I don't get it. Each day a new, fresh, yet stale complaint over petty things like this occurs.

You know, I'm having fun with the game. I've jumped 12k lys from my FC to get to Colonia. It wasn't that bad, discovered some systems that have never seen a gamers eyes. How fun.

2k ly? That aint too bad. Depending on your jump range. If you're in a cobra or sidewinder I could understand but if you're getting 40 ly or so per jump 2k is not bad all. Imagaine those guys that went to Beagle point or Colonia before FC's? Savages at FDev I tell you.

It's not too hard to get 40LY in a Cobra Mk3... I threw one together for poking around in Colonia and it does 39.5 LY. And that's with reinforced alloy and module reinforcement etc. OP has a jump range of 12ly though...

It's not too hard to get 40LY in a Cobra Mk3... I threw one together for poking around in Colonia and it does 39.5 LY. And that's with reinforced alloy and module reinforcement etc. OP has a jump range of 12ly though...
Yeah, kinda funny when you think about it, OP has a G5 FDL with 12kly jump range and didnt land at a space station. Did he go full murder hobo in the system so he couldnt land at the local space stations? I dont know but then coming to the forums to proclaim this is going to hurt newbies more than the hurt murder hobo's inflict is just about as much salt i can handle for today lol

Last edited:
Also about self-destruct leaving one with stock sidewinder without engineered components, somebody seems not have enough money to cover rebuy. Noob mistake I say...

Well, I guess so. You see - I understand how that sucks. Really, I do. I'm not a fan of game design for screwing players over with.

On the other hand - what's the alzernative? Why would I care as FC owner wanting to go places about some rando docking at my FC not wanting to go places. Should I fill out forms before I'm allowed to move my stuff?

Pretty much this:

schooln.png

Top Bottom