Stunning New Tech = Not Barren Desert Worlds

As I've said elsewhere, the atmo crowd seems hugely divided on what they mean by 'atmosphere'. See, I look at atmosphere from a gameplay standpoint...not graphics. I'd say there is atmosphere in the trailer, graphically. There's a haze, there's obviously some sort of 'air' on the world rather than just vacuum.

But for me, "Atmosphere" means a lot more than graphics. For example, I would say NMS barely has atmospheric gameplay.

To me, atmosphere is:
  • Weather conditions that affect visual input. White-outs from blizzards, rain drops on visor or canopy, lightning effects, heat waves distorting your vision.
  • Weather conditions that affect movement input. Turbulence on the ship, wind slowing or increasing movement speed on foot, friction loss for SRV (skidding).
  • Weather conditions that affect player. Lightning strikes on shields, corrosive rain eating hull, heat or cold compromising EVA suit integrity. Weapons jamming.

NMS has some of this, but on a very simple level. While I'm excited for space legs and generally want them, I play Elite for its spaceships. Atmosphere excites me for what it offers to the flight simulator: more reasons to take ships down to planets. As an avid Beluga Liner pilot, I particularly relish the RP aspects that atmosphere can present. While SC is nowhere near release, it has demonstrated very impressive weather mechanics for both flight and on-foot.

This teaser shows none of that. In fact, I would argue the teaser shows very little of worth. They're carrying guns...for unknown reasons...walking on a barren planet...for unknown reasons...sneaking up on a base, then standing up in plain view...for unknown reasons...watching an aggressive flyover that then peels off...for unknown reasons.

Looks like haze to me

ss_278a3f874a64f4eddea4817d7189c28f48a70724.600x338.jpg

This teaser shows none of that. In fact, I would argue the teaser shows very little of worth. They're carrying guns...for unknown reasons...walking on a barren planet...for unknown reasons...sneaking up on a base, then standing up in plain view...for unknown reasons...watching an aggressive flyover that then peels off...for unknown reasons.
I agree with your atmosphere wish list. However, your questions about the teaser can be easily explained. Those ships we see are art assets like the simulated traffic around fleet carriers.

Haze that goes around whole planet. When does it stop being haze and starts to become an atmosphere?

You can see the atmospheric haze around the planet when the ship approaches in space.
I agree, Matty mentioned he couldn't see any haze but I disagree. I think it's there, and I think we're seeing atmosphere

I interpreted that differently.... as in game tech. It said 'powered by stunning new tech' which to me = new game engine/code rewrite from the ground up.

If it really will look this good, then the rest of the game will need a visual update.

I've been convinced long ago, when they moved all main developers off ED, they basically have been rewriting the game for this update with a much upgraded engine. IMO everything will look better.

I'm just waiting for the fallout when we find out new game requirements that will push out lower spec'ed ED players.

There's a whole range of dead planets with atmosphere. I expect at least 6 variations beyond desert worlds:
  1. Ice world
  2. Lava world
  3. Grey moonscape world
  4. High metal content world 1
  5. High metal content world 2
  6. High metal content world 3

Knowing frontier we will get probably high metal content, and moonscape with atmosphere, ice and lava will come later...

But im hoping for some clouds, fog and thanks to winds on atmospheric worlds some sandstorms, rain or snow could be good too...

The Odyssey trailer has atmospheric effects, more planetary surface details, better shadows etc. However, a barren, empty planet is not stunning imo. For example Tatooine (Star Wars) is a desert world with an atmosphere that orbits twin suns. It's interesting, but not much different than walking in the Sahara desert or outside Las Vegas. The novelty of desert worlds will wear off fast. The Sahara desert also has Oasis and the Nile river delta with lush plants and wild animals.

Earth-like worlds aren't necessary yet, but I hope there's some procedural flora and fauna to spice things up (e.g. like No Man's Sky).

Description: "Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom."
I think they were just leaning into the Star Wars vibe for the trailer. And they nailed it

The Odyssey trailer has atmospheric effects, more planetary surface details, better shadows etc. However, a barren, empty planet is not stunning imo. For example Tatooine (Star Wars) is a desert world with an atmosphere that orbits twin suns. It's interesting, but not much different than walking in the Sahara desert or outside Las Vegas. The novelty of desert worlds will wear off fast. The Sahara desert also has Oasis and the Nile river delta with lush plants and wild animals.

Earth-like worlds aren't necessary yet, but I hope there's some procedural flora and fauna to spice things up (e.g. like No Man's Sky).

Description: "Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom."

They must also make gas giants to showcase the atmospheric tech and offer a significant boost to ship-based gameplay.

Top Bottom