Newcomer / Intro Subtleties

You got me, commanders - what is this "FA-off"? Flight Assist? And why do you practice it there? Don't they blow you up?

Yes, Flight Assist off training.
It gives you a fixed reference point by locking on the station (or not) and you can use the lines of the exterior to see if you are following a straight path, and try to change vectors, fly backwards, strafe etc. all while orbiting the station.

There's also this whole series, which uses stations and other bases:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIQVVKXGd78AiYjhGUNZL9dFm23hYgc8R

edit No they don't blow you up or anything, as long as you don't crash into another ship.
I crash into the station pretty regularly, hahaha...

Last edited:
You got me, commanders - what is this "FA-off"? Flight Assist? And why do you practice it there? Don't they blow you up?

Many pilots, me included, fly completely without Flight Assist. It's a great challenge, fun, and resembles real space flight much more closely. :)
Plus it has some real advantages in a combat and such.

The thing is, the Flight Assist helps you with keeping your ship stable, but it also to a certain extent impairs your control over her and doesn't let you use 100% of the thruster power.

Try it. ;)

The blackbird nesting somewhere in my dashboard console - like to hear it on longish supercruise trips. I have not made any lately so don't know if they have removed it. (It was obviously chirruping in the Croft's garden when they laid down the ambient for that.)

I haven't discerned the blackbird yet - how wonderful :).

I have found that by not using the gramophone* to listen to the game, but using a pair of headphones instead, there are some beautiful soundscapes and subtelties to be heard. Maybe with the 'phones on for a bit, I'll get to hear it :)

* Bonus points for anyone who understands that this comes with slimline salad dressing and a bag on the head. ;

........ using a pair of headphones instead, there are some beautiful soundscapes and subtelties to be heard. Maybe with the 'phones on for a bit, I'll get to hear it :)

I have a 5.1 surround system on my PC and Elite's audio is amazing through that. I don't like wearing headphones but late at night my sub-woofer would alarm my neighbours somewhat (I live in a flat / apartment in a Victorian mansion conversion) so I occasionally don my HyperX Cloud and yes the audio is different.

Last edited:
I have a 5.1 surround system on my PC and Elite's audio is amazing through that. I don't like wearing headphones but late at night my sub-woofer would alarm my neighbours somewhat (I live in a flat / apartment in a Victorian mansion conversion) so I occasionally don my HyperX Cloud and yes the audio is different.

I nearly always play with headphones on. The first time I did, I was astonished by how much audio detail I was missing, being drowned out by ambient sound in and outside my flat. The buzz of the fridge, the cars and woodpigeons beside the window, the thud of my upstairs neighbour, they perhaps disrupt the immersion a bit.

The judder, clunking and feeling of turbulence that some ships seem to give in super cruise always gets me, it makes me worry something’s going to come lose in the cargo hold.

You hear that juddering, clanking sound, in your hull?

Yes?

That's your hull integrity going down, that is.

;) (Stolen comedy idea from Newman and Baddiel..)

All these fine details and pleasant immersive subtleties just shows FD's love and commitment to the game all through ED's history including Frontier's hard decisions and project scheduling for its survival. Where too much of the naysaying salt have ignored, overlooked or taken for granted these details and try to claim NMS-next is "superior" and have done so much "more" with its smaller staff roster, where by their comparison, FDev have done "nothing" on ED 1.0/2.0 for the past four years. As we can see by these immersive details, FD have done quite a bit of their own world detail building in the ship experience way.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, the sound in ED is first class. However, I feel there is one thing missing and that is some in-cockpit radio/cd player/vinyl/streamer/mp3 player for some banging choons. Or whatever music suits.

I know there are alternatives, like there are for changing HUD appearence etc. but to have the game's own applet would be awesome. Just my opinion though...

As has been mentioned, the sound in ED is first class. However, I feel there is one thing missing and that is some in-cockpit radio/cd player/vinyl/streamer/mp3 player for some banging choons. Or whatever music suits.

We keep asking for it...

... VA can be used in-game as (or to control) a media player.

The "glugging" sound as you fuel scoop (they changed the scooping sounds while back). The quiet "ting" you hear when your SRV is in the right position to board ship.

I know there are alternatives, like there are for changing HUD appearence etc. but to have the game's own applet would be awesome. Just my opinion though...
I actually use VoiceAttack for this, I have several folders with different music for what I'm doing and I just tell VoiceAttack to play this, that or the other and she obliges. You can even set it to play random songs which works great for me.

I just discovered, well came across for the first time (discovered is far too grand a term for what many people have no doubt seen,) the burned out remains of a crashed ship on a landing pad at an outpost. I’ve never noticed one before. I had to wait to dock for quite a while and when I was finally given permission the pad nearest to me had some very clear ship remains scattered across it.

I don’t know whether the wait for a pad and the crashed ship were part of a small ‘narrative,’ or just coincidence but it’s another little thing that made me smile in this game. I did grab a screen shot when I landed but should have used my free camera really (half of my Pythons bridge ceiling is in shot....and I’m a professional photographer too, disgraceful:eek:)

I just discovered, well came across for the first time (discovered is far too grand a term for what many people have no doubt seen,) the burned out remains of a crashed ship on a landing pad at an outpost. I’ve never noticed one before. I had to wait to dock for quite a while and when I was finally given permission the pad nearest to me had some very clear ship remains scattered across it.

I don’t know whether the wait for a pad and the crashed ship were part of a small ‘narrative,’ or just coincidence but it’s another little thing that made me smile in this game. I did grab a screen shot when I landed but should have used my free camera really (half of my Pythons bridge ceiling is in shot....and I’m a professional photographer too, disgraceful:eek:)

Never seen stuff on a pad (except floating bits in a station after a miscreant has been destroyed for loitering) but you will see the scrapped ship remnants on many outposts. You can also see complete ships inside some outposts when you peer through the transparent panels.

That sounds cool. Post the shot!

Never seen stuff on a pad (except floating bits in a station after a miscreant has been destroyed for loitering) but you will see the scrapped ship remnants on many outposts. You can also see complete ships inside some outposts when you peer through the transparent panels.

178aWXQ.jpg

Excuse the drastic boost in levels, it just helps to show the debris.

I'm assuming this is the less rare "remnants on many outposts" rather than "never seen stuff on a pad," it's probably my poor choice of terminology. First time I've seen it anywhere but a 'true' Crash Site.

Top Bottom