Summer 2024 DLC Speculation

For some reason I'm feeling July 9th for our final DLC.

I hope it's not July 16th, because that's "guinea pig appreciation day" and I do not like the implications of that.
Neither of the bats came out on Bat appreciation day or International bat nights, so I think we're pretty safe, unless there's a known example.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with Guinea pigs? Lol
1716548862021.jpeg

There's a few additional domestics I would get behind (e.g., Shetland pony, pygmy goat, chinchilla) but certainly not as part of a final pack. Chinchillas, in particular, would be useful because the habitats built for them could vary and because they would inevitably get a dust bath enrichment.

Unpopular take, though: While smaller mammals like guinea pigs, rats, mice, chinchillas, and so on of all sorts could work fine in the present game format they would work even better as part of a sequel with better hit boxes and a new, more customizable exhibit format. But this is also just me having an innate desire to build a Small Mammal/Nocturnal/Mouse House similar to what they have at the Bronx Zoo, London Zoo, National Zoo, etc. Haha.

There's a few additional domestics I would get behind (e.g., Shetland pony, pygmy goat, chinchilla) but certainly not as part of a final pack. Chinchillas, in particular, would be useful because the habitats built for them could vary and because they would inevitably get a dust bath enrichment.

Unpopular take, though: While smaller mammals like guinea pigs, rats, mice, chinchillas, and so on of all sorts could work fine in the present game format they would work even better as part of a sequel with better hit boxes and a new, more customizable exhibit format. But this is also just me having an innate desire to build a Small Mammal/Nocturnal/Mouse House similar to what they have at the Bronx Zoo, London Zoo, National Zoo, etc. Haha.
Oh chinchillas i do like more.

Similar feeling.
Stuff like that would probably work on a technical level, i mean we have baby meerkats and prariedogs proof it.
The problem i see is the game itself just isnt an environment where animals this small really fit in, everything in the game is just enormous.
From barriers and gates, enrichment items to decoration stuff and general building items, all of this kinda leads to an inability to build adequatlely small, yet funtional enclosures for something like chinchillas.
For meerkats, prairie dogs and probably also guinea pigs and hyraxes it sorta works because they are usually kept in large groups and in comparably big open enclosures. But once your getting into stuff like elephant shrews, hedgehogs, ferrets and others that are either kept solitary or pairs i dont see any way how they would work in PZ without major updates to the game.

Which also is the reason why im not really passionate about adding any tamarins and marmosets as habitat animals to the game, i just feel they would look super silly on all those huge climbing pieces we have, and building a realistcly sized enclosure would be almost impossible.
The exhibit obviously has its own set of problems

Last edited:
About pelican and secretary birds...The only way I can see them is pelican in a coastal animal pack and secretary bird in a endangered species pack. But if we only have one, I think a zookepper collection or something like that.

Honestly all I can imagine with smaller mammals is still fighting with the hit boxes.

“Oh no my chinchillas are starving! Why can’t they access their food? Oh it’s because I made the doorway 3m wide instead of 4, silly me.”

About pelican and secretary birds...The only way I can see them is pelican in a coastal animal pack and secretary bird in a endangered species pack. But if we only have one, I think a zookepper collection or something like that.
Well that’s the beauty of a “Zookeeper collection” technically any animal can work because a zoo can accompany anything.

Personally I think a coastal pack would be a cool surprise pack, it can give us some popular species while also filling out some cool rosters for the game. While this isn’t “planet aquarium” a lot of zoos do have pinnipeds/ sea birds, so I think it could be neat.

Now would I want coastal as the final pack for the game? Probably not until we get our monkey/ baboon. I can see a coastal pack being a final pack after that, and maybe frontier pulls all the stops and we get a manatee/ sea turtle. Which I think is more realistic than flying birds.

Pelican would also fit in a LATAM pack since Brown pelican species are found all across américa but are also typical of the Caribbean.

And secretary could fit in a lot of themes safari, scrublands, savanah, etc.

Stuff like that would probably work on a technical level, i mean we have baby meerkats and prariedogs proof it.
The problem i see is the game itself just isnt an environment where animals this small really fit in, everything in the game is just enormous.
From barriers and gates, enrichment items to decoration stuff and general building items, all of this kinda leads to an inability to build adequatlely small, yet funtional enclosures for something like chinchillas.
For meerkats, prairie dogs and probably also guinea pigs and hyraxes it sorta works because they are usually kept in large groups and in comparably big open enclosures. But once your getting into stuff like elephant shrews, hedgehogs, ferrets and others that are either kept solitary or pairs i dont see any way how they would work in PZ without major updates to the game.
I wish there was a new type of exhibit for these small mammals. The gigantic walk-through exhibit is just too big to use convicibly.
This is exactly how I feel. These smaller animals could technically work but not in any way that would reflect the way they are exhibited in real-world zoos. The requirement for habitat gates and such here is really limiting.

The ideal, for me at least, would be an exhibit-style set-up that would allow us to customize things more than we're currently able. Glass/mesh/null barriers, for example. And more importantly the capacity to move some of the enrichment items around, select the general vibe of the habitat (e.g., biome-centric, something more generic with items that can be placed over "placeholders" similar to what we have for some of the WTE). And of course, allowing things to be modular. Being able to develop an effective indoor area for creatures like this would be such a gamechanger for building indoors.

Actually, I take that back. That's not the ideal. The ideal would be for us to get an "exhibit design" mode that allowed us to create exhibit templates from scratch that were fully customizable. But that's a whole 'nother thing... :ROFLMAO:

Which also is the reason why im not really passionate about adding any tamarins and marmosets as habitat animals to the game, i just feel they would look super silly on all those huge climbing pieces we have, and building a realistcly sized enclosure would be almost impossible.
I actually disagree with this bit, though! Haha. I think these species would work fine as habitat animals simply because of the space they typically have in real world zoos and how frequently they exist in mixed species enclosures.

In contrast to something like, say, a slow loris or a cloud rat both tamarins and marmosets would work perfectly fine as habitat animals IMHO.

"Zookeeper collection" sounds like one of those perfect packs on the paper untill frontier find a way to ruin it by throwing the least desireble animals by no reason at all.
Yes that's why people need to temper their expectations.

However since that's hasn't happened yet, I doubt people will start doing that just before last pack drops.

Zookeeper's pack will definitely have some fan favorites. Some.

I don't like being the fun police while the hype period lasts and at the end of the day I don't care if anyone gets disappointed, but I don't get how people who do get disappointed keep doing it to themselves time and time again like the MiB keep cleaning their memory.

No, the roster of "the latest pack" wasn't a mistake or miscalculation. It's unofficial policy by now.

Honestly all I can imagine with smaller mammals is still fighting with the hit boxes.

“Oh no my chinchillas are starving! Why can’t they access their food? Oh it’s because I made the doorway 3m wide instead of 4, silly me.”

Well that’s the beauty of a “Zookeeper collection” technically any animal can work because a zoo can accompany anything.

Personally I think a coastal pack would be a cool surprise pack, it can give us some popular species while also filling out some cool rosters for the game. While this isn’t “planet aquarium” a lot of zoos do have pinnipeds/ sea birds, so I think it could be neat.

Now would I want coastal as the final pack for the game? Probably not until we get our monkey/ baboon. I can see a coastal pack being a final pack after that, and maybe frontier pulls all the stops and we get a manatee/ sea turtle. Which I think is more realistic than flying birds.
Coastal pack means no coati, no South american monkey (i mean they could stretch it with some Caribbean monkeys i guess but they are no exactly coastal animals), no baboon, no mara, no spec bear, no more than one bird ( i doubt the puffins are likely), no rhea, no crowned crane, no Palla's cat, no serval, etc. 🥲

TBH, given the format of the DLC packs, I think people exaggerate the number of "missteps" that Frontier has had. It's all about trade-offs. The Tropical Pack is a great example. They could have swapped one of the other mammals for a New World monkey, sure, but we'd be in the same spot we're in now. Except instead of saying "we need more SA primates" we'd be asking for the fossa or red river hog. The monitor was a weird pick, but I think we were destined for a reptile in that pack regardless to keep the pack "balanced." And there's a few instances where they've picked odd species early on (e.g., giant otter rather than ASCO or the NA river otter) but that was before they were keen on letting us have "smaller" species in general...

The issue, to me, is the themes selected rather than any specific species selected for inclusion. The lone two examples I can think of that were obvious and deliberate misses were two of the ungulate picks for the Arid pack (one of these could have gone to a baboon; or both could have been used to incorporate a rep from North or Central America) and the quokka instead of the tree kangaroo in Oceania.

But other than that, I can think of wonky themes but not so much species selection (at least in the context of Frontier trying to provide balanced packs).

Top Bottom