Super Penetrator

If SCBs do your flaming head in, and they surely do mine, one Feedback for sure.
You know what does my head in... is I have two Railguns, both Long Range and Super Penetrator and when I select the sub-target, say Power, even when I KNOW I hit that damn thing, MANY times... it hardly moves. I end killing the ship long before I get the Engine to 0%, I am lucky to get it to 99%. There's no way I am missing. I've tested on Harmless ships that just sit there, sniping away at the Power sub system and 100% doesn't even move. How could I possibly be missing? Crazy! The ship goes BOOM, but the power plant doesn't seem to go down, Harmless, Competent, Master, Elite... doesn't seem to matter. I am hitting RIGHT in the center of the red little square. I don't get it. :cautious:

Actually, the Corvette is quite stable, I use a Warthog stick which helps me aim. Also, since rails are pretty much instant hits regardless of distance, you don't have to stay on target but a split second. Usually start sniping the target as soon as the range closes below 5k. Look for the thruster flames and target just ahead of them.

You will hit significantly more than miss once you get a bit of practice.
I'd love to put HUGE Rails or PA's on my Vette, but I gotta get better with aiming or something. Right now, I can hardly hit the side of a barn! Ha!

Last edited:
You know what does my head in... is I have two Railguns, both Long Range and Super Penetrator and when I select the sub-target, say Power, even when I KNOW I hit that damn thing, MANY times... it hardly moves. I end killing the ship long before I get the Engine to 0%, I am lucky to get it to 99%. There's no way I am missing. I've tested on Harmless ships that just sit there, sniping away at the Power sub system and 100% doesn't even move. How could I possibly be missing? Crazy! The ship goes BOOM, but the power plant doesn't seem to go down, Harmless, Competent, Master, Elite... doesn't seem to matter. I am hitting RIGHT in the center of the red little square. I don't get it. :cautious:

I noticed the same on my full rail ViperM4. I don't even bother with subtargeting anymore. Just select the first module for the microgimbal, flip on the night vision and pew away.
X.

Power plant - for me I have to be above or below really to snipe it and usually its either / or not from both sides. If you aint damaging it go the other side, above or below and try again. If the target is twisting to try and stop you, thats almost certainly a sign that youre now on the right track, they are trying to keep their power plant least exposed. Whichever side theyre trying to keep away from you is the one you want. FSD & Shield Generators are usually easier to take out and similar tactic for practice.

Super Pen supposedly can hit other modules on the way, so aimed straight on will hit and damage anything in between...but presumably runs out of penetration (cue Bottom Hat :)) at some point and maybe doesn't reach the PP.

Edit: P.S Practice with Rails for a few weeks and PAs become easy as pie.

It has been a while since I played but, I recall having the same "issue" and investigating it a bit. My DBS ran two short range super pen imperial hammers as its primary damage dealers, and they certainly would occasionally absolutely slaughter internal components. Other times, round after round would have no effect. The key is, just because you strike the hull of a ship does not mean your round will penetrate, even with a super penetrator which you would imagine might penetrate the impregnable. Ok. Sorry I could not resist.

Anyway! The "breach" stat determines the likelihood of your super penetrators penetrating. Oh God, I can't help myself.

What I am saying is, there is only a chance of hitting a module, even if you are on target!

I used it as a Sun like sub heading in my Pirate Star Elite spoof newspaper- it was a gift.

I think I've seen it from the link you gave me a long while back - it's an amazing piece of work, and I think the post below by Vetinari gives another opportunity to post it!? I thought it awesome!

Tempted to say pics or it didnt happen as an excuse to post it but afraid of what might appear :)

Oh be very very afraid... but it is absolutely excellent mate, I hope RN posts it!

I think I've seen it from the link you gave me a long while back - it's an amazing piece of work, and I think the post below by Vetinari gives another opportunity to post it!? I thought it awesome!

Oh be very very afraid... but it is absolutely excellent mate, I hope RN posts it!

Its a miracle the link still exists!

Top Bottom