General / Off-Topic Supposedly bad Sci Fi films..

For me. Battlefield Earth was a terrible flick.
I read the book 1st, and that was definitely one of my all time favorites... As good as the book was, I was looking forward to watching the movie, and was really weirded out that I couldn't find it locally at all. After that, I looked up reviews and saw why. It was a lower then low rated movie. I ended up ordering the DVD. (This was before the Internet had permeated all media gathering for me ;) ... I couldn't believe how bad it was. They turned it into something shallower then a Jell-O shot.

But if you are looking for a good read; I couldn't recommend it more.

I was part of the team that did the book promo tour for this - involved driving all over the country (GB) & dressing up as a 9' purple alien!

(The further from London we got, the better the reactions from 'the great unwashed')

- So I totally agree. The only thing worse than the film is the 'music' album :(

Heres an off topic thread, I finally got around to watching "Jon Carter" tonight, OMG, all the negativity I saw back when it came out, I left it well alone. And it absolutely rocks. (yes a BIT cheesy, but what an idea of a story)

John Carter is a good and entertaining film, but maybe it requires knowing the source material. If you haven't read the books, you should give them a try.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Oh, but you wanted a recommendation of a "bad" Sci-Fi film I enjoyed. Easy "My Science Project", seen at the tender age of ~16 maybe.

p8972_p_v8_aa.jpg

For me. Battlefield Earth was a terrible flick.
I read the book 1st, and that was definitely one of my all time favorites... As good as the book was, I was looking forward to watching the movie, and was really weirded out that I couldn't find it locally at all. After that, I looked up reviews and saw why. It was a lower then low rated movie. I ended up ordering the DVD. (This was before the Internet had permeated all media gathering for me ;) ... I couldn't believe how bad it was. They turned it into something shallower then a Jell-O shot.

But if you are looking for a good read; I couldn't recommend it more.

Maybe my opinion of the book was tainted by the reputation of the author, but I can't really recommend the book. I found it even more space operatic than EE (Doc) Smith. I did manage to read it right to the end so I guess it couldn't have been that bad, but it was completely forgettable. They should've been able to make a decent action movie out the gung-ho Johnny character, but I think it was more of a vanity project for Travolta than anything else.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Here is my research into bad space movies, which are fun to watch after played E D :

1953 - Spaceways (Sci fi Terance Fisher - 6.5)
1954 - Gog (OSI 3 SciFi Richard Egan-herbert Marshall 7
1954 - Riders to the Stars (OSI 2 Sci. H.Marshal -rocket astreroid 7
1956 - Satellite in the Sky -First Brit Lois Maxwell- stuck bomb 6.5
1961 - Battle of the Worlds (1961) Claude Rains (PD sci-fi 7)
1965 - Spaceflight IC-generation ship sick 7
1966 - Star Pilot (sci space influenced star trek TV show 5
1969 - Moon Zero Two - Space. Hammer Films 8.5
1970 - Colossus The Forbin Project 7.5
1971 - Earth II (Space Sta. 6.5)
1974 - Dark Star - spoof Sci Fi- 8.5
1977 - Brescia 1 - Cosmos War of the Planets - Humanoids good ending 6
1977 - Starship Invasions -(R.Vaughn C.Lee - 6.5)
1978 - Brescia 3- War of the Robots (Sci-Fi 4)
1978 - Brescia 4 - Star Odyssey - 3/10
1978 - Star Crash (C.Plummer David.Hoff 4.5)
1979 - The Humanoids (Itallian SW rip off, R.Kiel B.Bach 5)
1980 - Battle Beyond The Stars (G.Peppard James Horner 7)
1982 - Forbidden World aka Mutant - Roger Corman 6
1983 - Space Raiders- Roger Corman 6
plus Galaxina! - now we are talking BADDD. 2/10

Of these, the strangest was Humanoids, and Italian Star Wars clone, with Richard Kiel in the Han Solo role, who becomes a mutated Zombie killer. The most enjoyable was Moon Two Zero and Dark Star. The most disturbing was Space Invasions. But then seeing David Hasselhoff with a light sabre in StarCrash is quite bad.

I really don't think "Dark Star" really belongs in a list of bad space movies it does still have a bit of a cult following even after all these years.

I'm also not sure if "Colossus The Forbin Project" belongs in there either. I can't remember it being a bad movie but it has been a long while since I watched it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Where did you get your copy of the movie from?

Hardware for sure.. like a low budget british terminator. So underrated. It's got Lemmy and Carl McCoy of nephilim fame in it with Public image,Motorhead,Ministry, and many others for a soundtrack.

And the fat neighbour? I think of him whenever i see a red laserpen. So wonderfully creepy. :)

Edit: Just remembered Iggy pop is Angry bob in it too. Don't know how i forgot him.

Last edited:
Man, so many great movies mentioned. Loved prometheus, john carpenters the thing, silent running was great but a little era bound imo, has anyone mentioned "Event Horizon" yet?

One of my favorite sci-fi / horror movies, but that may have something to do with my being a Lovecraft fan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/

But Prometheus was horrible...Apart from looking amazing I can find very little good in it. Incredibly convoluted story, very strangely written characters, no answers that were promised whatsoever. It raised even more questions about xenomorphs, space jockey, and all that stuff :) Quite a mess to me personally. No wonder, it was written by a man apparently responsible for absolute joke of an ending of Lost.

Last edited:
I really don't think "Dark Star" really belongs in a list of bad space movies it does still have a bit of a cult following even after all these years.

I'm also not sure if "Colossus The Forbin Project" belongs in there either. I can't remember it being a bad movie but it has been a long while since I watched it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Where did you get your copy of the movie from?

Yes this was supposed to be a list of 'Top space movies to watch after playing ED' but I couldnt not find the thread I started on that, and ended up posting in here. Anything over 6.5 is watchable on the list. 7 and 8 rated films are good to very good, so half of the list is ok, the rest are bad.

Some people on here are talking about films like Armourgeddon and Event Horizon, which arnt so bad as The Black Hole.

verminstar

Banned
John Carter was so good, I actually hoped for a sequel.

This on the other hand...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-YZ8WOU1-w&list=PL1BPNN6848pj0WZLixx9qHQ2PZajDUTF8

Funny at the time but back then we didn't really know any better...even back then though, it was obvious the sword wielding robots were played by stiff actors in rubber suits. It was so bad, it was almost good sorta thing.

1984...I'm showing my age even though I still remember my da taking me to watch the very first star trek motion picture...79 I think? Not sure can't be bothered using google ^^

Last edited:
Yes this was supposed to be a list of 'Top space movies to watch after playing ED' but I couldnt not find the thread I started on that, and ended up posting in here. Anything over 6.5 is watchable on the list. 7 and 8 rated films are good to very good, so half of the list is ok, the rest are bad.

Some people on here are talking about films like Armourgeddon and Event Horizon, which arnt so bad as The Black Hole.

Hence the problem with the thread. There are people who like some movies, and people who dislike the same. Since you can't ever know most people, it is incredibly possible anyone putting something on this list is surrounded by people who hated the film, and likewise it's incredibly possible that you're surrounded by the exact opposite.

Personally, I can't be       to contribute a list since I don't care what people consider good or bad.

Sunshine gets its fair amount of hate.

Personally I think its one of the best scifi films ever made (up there with 2001 and Solaris, either version). Of course everyone has their own opinion.

John Carter is merely watchable. There's a difference between good and not sucking completely. It's meh. Count me in as a Sunshine hater. The movie, not the glorious rays of tanning.

Why Vin Diesel did the voice for Groot and that's it after all those epic Riddick films I don't get, should of made him the Star Lord, he would of added a bit of decent grit to it.

Vin Diesel also did tho mocap. He didn't want to just voice the part of Groot. Thought it was a great movie too.

verminstar

Banned
Guardians was brilliant...sunshine was an unmitigated disaster and one the few movies I simply couldn't watch till the end without serious intoxication.

Thought the martian was pretty good...thought serenity was a timeless classic...thought the next generation and DS9 star trek shows were so cheesy, they were almost unwatchable. The first riddick movie was ok, the second was better. And I'm normally a big diesel fan. All the alien movies I loved, including almost all the Predator/alien spin offs, although Prometheus only looked good but only left more unanswered questions with a fairly shallow and not very original sub plot.

Thought Oblivion would be just another Cruise clone but it was actually very good and had a few original lines. Can't remember the name of the other recent Cruise flick with Emily Blunt, even though I watched it 3 times. Tomorrow never lives or something like that, too lazy to google it. Hungover memory loss today.

John Carter was so good, I actually hoped for a sequel.

This on the other hand...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-YZ8WOU1-w&list=PL1BPNN6848pj0WZLixx9qHQ2PZajDUTF8

Funny at the time but back then we didn't really know any better...even back then though, it was obvious the sword wielding robots were played by stiff actors in rubber suits. It was so bad, it was almost good sorta thing.

1984...I'm showing my age even though I still remember my da taking me to watch the very first star trek motion picture...79 I think? Not sure can't be bothered using google ^^

The Ice Pirates looks great!

A while back before we had ice asteroids, I'd written a Drabble* about how a pilot had struck it rich by finding an ice ring. I didn't base that notion on " The Ice Pirates", rather "The Man Who Fell to Earth".

It turns out that ice isn't really worth that much. It's abundant. And that's something that stands true in real life as well. Earth isn't the biggest supply of water in the galaxy. It's not even the biggest in our own solar system.

That's a bit of a scunner for all those invasion movies...

"Admiral hjksfusbjjjjsghdhrrrrr-tttt-ttt-tt-t, this ball of rock appears to be infested with creatures called.. erm.. "Humans!"

"Don't just stand there then Number One. Plot a course for another ball of rock."

* https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...A-DRABBLE-Thread/page13?p=4492138#post4492138

Last edited:
Top Bottom