Horizons surface missions to non-existent bases?

I've had this happen at least a couple times now with Horizons. I accept a surface mission which asks me to deliver X to Y. I look up the system and there are no planets which allow surface landing in that system. None of them have a planet/surface map.

The latest example was a mission titled, "Transport Silver to Bokeili Vision". It said the target system was "Wolf 918" and target port was "Bokeili Vision". There is no such space port with that name and none of the planets support landing.

Are these just bugs? Incorrectly generated missions? Or am I missing something obvious?

TOUCHE - SAME HERE MANY TIMES

I've had this happen at least a couple times now with Horizons. I accept a surface mission which asks me to deliver X to Y. I look up the system and there are no planets which allow surface landing in that system. None of them have a planet/surface map.

The latest example was a mission titled, "Transport Silver to Bokeili Vision". It said the target system was "Wolf 918" and target port was "Bokeili Vision". There is no such space port with that name and none of the planets support landing.

Are these just bugs? Incorrectly generated missions? Or am I missing something obvious?

SEND HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAMN IS MY WINDSHIELD CRACKED AGAIN ?
MY WIFE IS GOING TO KILL ME !!!!!

I had the same problem with a silver delivery also. One of the developers responded to my thread that I posted couple days ago and said to fully explore the system. Never got to it thought.

Try scanning and identifying the unexplored celestial bodies in the system. You won't see the ports until then.

If you can afford an Advanced Discovery Scanner, get it - makes these missions so much easier.

On entering the system, scan it. Then look at the System Map and the planet you need to target to visit is shown with an orange marker. Target it and fly there. As you approach your scanner will start working again and will identify the ground ports, one of which will be yours.

It's a pain that this kind of mission isn't clear that you have to do that - there are many threads about this issue - you are not alone ! Fly safe for Christmas and into 2016 ;)

ah! ok, that makes sense. Never thought of that :) Thanks for the replies!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I Dont think the question was answered, what coder 1024 is saying is, you take a surface mission, you accept, you go the the system, (All good so far), on arrival you scan the system only to find, nothing in this system is correct, in other words a totally different system, with the exception of the main star.
This has happened to me 4 times so far, to take it one step further, on my last mission to nowhere, on arrival, I went to the galaxy maps and typed in the name of the place I was given in the job description and it ends up being a few hundred LY's away in a totally different system.......................which would indicate to me that there is a bug,

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I Dont think the question was answered, what coder 1024 is saying is, you take a surface mission, you accept, you go the the system, (All good so far), on arrival you scan the system only to find, nothing in this system is correct, in other words a totally different system, with the exception of the main star.
This has happened to me 4 times so far, to take it one step further, on my last mission to nowhere, on arrival, I went to the galaxy maps and typed in the name of the place I was given in the job description and it ends up being a few hundred LY's away in a totally different system.......................which would indicate to me that there is a bug,

If the main star is correct, the rest of the system will fall into place - but use an Advanced Discovery Scanner first. You should see the planet you have to target nicely highlighted when you return to your system map. Your discovery of the planet base will come later, as you approach it.

if you give this process a try, with the ADS, I don't think you will keep having problems. Believe me, I have had to learn this too. I understand your frustration. But if you still don't find what you are looking for after performing this procedure, then it would be timely to file a bug report. :)

As I've said in other threads that is not a reasonable solution.
The ADS costs about 500k last time I bought one which precludes any starter commanders from doing these missions.
I don't mind if it's a bug if someone would just say it's a bug.
If it's by design it's utter nonsense.

The ADS costs about 500k last time I bought one which precludes any starter commanders from doing these missions.

You've clearly never bought one, they cost 1.6m without discount. An ADS is not needed, it just makes it faster. You can find planets and their bases with the Basic Discovery Scanner that every ship gets for free, even the Sidewinder. So nothing prevents anyone doing these missions whether they are just starting or a vet.

Many of the planet delivery missions say something like "we're looking for someone who knows x system" so if you don't know the system you are taking a risk. The mission itself has a button to allow you to view the galactip map, with the target system selected so you can check it out before you even accept the mission. It isn't the dev's fault if you accept a mission to a system you don't know without checking it or reading the mission description.

I'm confused on the exact item being referred to as an "Advanced Discovery Scanner". I see in outfitting, an item called "Intermediate Discovery Scanner". The description for this says, "Advanced stellar body scanner used during exploration".

I wonder if thats just a mistake? Its a bit confusing to call the Intermediate unit Advanced in the description. Is there an actual Advanced scanner I just haven't seen?

It is not a bug, you are trying to take a mission to a system that you have no navigational data about. You can either scan it down yourself which is possible but time consuming for a ship with a basic scanner for free =OR= use the option in the mission screen before you accept the mission to show the system on the galactic map and look there if you can see the mission location.

Space stations will always appear, ground stations will not.

Never had a problem with this and I have only got a basic discovery scanner.. There’s no bug, I know the place I need to go is somewhere in this system and I need to find it. So I fly around scanning and looking for odd stars that move around in front of the background as I zoom around at FTL speeds until I find it..

Basic 500LS scan range.
Intermediate 100LS range.
Advanced is unlimited so it discovers everything.

Now you know :)

Go to the system map and buy system data. You are accepting missions where you have no information on.
This is not correct (or at least not always correct). Just ran into this again the other night and buying system data did not reveal the "missing" surface base. See below.

Never had a problem with this and I have only got a basic discovery scanner.. There’s no bug, I know the place I need to go is somewhere in this system and I need to find it. So I fly around scanning and looking for odd stars that move around in front of the background as I zoom around at FTL speeds until I find it..

Basic 500LS scan range.
Intermediate 1000LS (edited) range.
Advanced is unlimited so it discovers everything.
This is correct. It comes down to flying within range of and using a discovery scanner. I did that and it revealed the surface base. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is not correct (or at least not always correct). Just ran into this again the other night and buying system data did not reveal the "missing" surface base. See below.

Actually, it is correct. Buying data from the cartography shop doesn't automatically show you everything, just what has been sold. Many times the cartography shop has given me a star and a couple of planets because, at a guess, the seller had a basic scanner. So guess what? I go and use an ADS to reveal everything.

Last edited:
Actually, it is correct. Buying data from the cartography shop doesn't automatically show you everything, just what has been sold. Many times the cartography shop has given me a star and a couple of planets because, at a guess, the seller had a basic scanner. So guess what? I go and use an ADS to reveal everything.
The post I was replying to suggested that the solution was to buy exploration data. That was not correct in my situation; buying exploration data did not get me the needed information. So it doesn't necessarily do the trick -- you may need to go scan it. Buying exploration data was the first thing I did actually but it didn't help :)

The post I was replying to suggested that the solution was to buy exploration data. That was not correct in my situation; buying exploration data did not get me the needed information. So it doesn't necessarily do the trick -- you may need to go scan it. Buying exploration data was the first thing I did actually but it didn't help :)

Buying system info doesn’t always buy all of the information for the whole system. It depends on what there is to buy and I think it’s to do with how much a previous player has scanned and sold on that system.

Maybe an advanced scanner will help you out?

Top Bottom