General System development - dynamic population

I haven’t seen anything about this previously except for a “momentary thing” back in 2016, so forgive me if this is something that does already exist (in some regard)...

Dynamic Populations
Here’s my thinking...

When you spend your time grafting away in the BGS influencing the politics, making your people happy, providing them with bountiful trade and a generally elated lifestyle, those happy people are going to have higher birth rates... more so than that, talk between systems is going to get around that your slice of the galaxy is a haven, and people will want to live there. Transports full of passengers should be looking to move to your neighbourhood but currently... they aren’t?!

Therefore, I believe the following should be considered for implementation to further allow for more dynamic playwith the BGS:

Population Data
- Populations become fluid with a minimum and maximum value set;
Minimum = 5000 * (Number of planetary bodies / 8)
Maximum = 1000000 * ((Number of planetary bodies / 8) + 4)

For example:
System with 1 Sun, 3 Planets, 1 Moon becomes 4 planetary bodies. Minimum population becomes 2,500. Maximum population becomes 4,500,000.

System with 3 Suns, 14 Planets and 46 Moons becomes 60 planetary bodies. Minimum population becomes 37,500. Maximum population becomes 7,500,000.

Station data
- Stations upgrade from smaller stations, to medium, eventually to the large 20-sided docks we’re all familiar with, based on the criteria required:
Maximum number of stations allowed = (Number of Planetary bodies / 8) + 4.

For example, using the same two systems above:
4 planetary bodies or less provides space for 4.5 (rounded down to 4) stations at most.
60 planetary bodies provides space for 11.5 stations (rounded down to 11)

A threshold for the upgrade needs to take place:
Thresholds = maximum population size / (maximum number of stations *3)
This is multiplied by 3 for the three levels of development for each station.

Investment State
This would alter the current “Investment” state - being an actual investment into the current system where applicable:
1. The system is not at its maximum capacity for stations / station upgrades
2. The system is not at its maximum population size.
3. The faction in Investment has an elated population.
4. The faction is in a Boom economic state, the faction is also in an Elated happiness state
5. The population must be in the next threshold requiring a new station, or a station upgrade

Upon entering the investment state, the minor faction issues specific missions requiring commodities to be delivered to the main system station. The population also must maintain itself above the current threshold.
Investment missions should be sourced commodities from stations up-to 120Ly away, ranging from small requirements (20) to large requirements (400) and wing requirements (4000). The commodities should be paid for already by the faction from the systems that produce the required materials (I.e extraction / industrial / agriculture etc)

Investment (Failure):
In the event the Investment state is failed over the duration, the economic state of the faction takes a severe hit into Bust due to wasting an exorbitant amount of commodities that were paid for in advance. Not only that, but the faction should also lose a considerable swing of influence (-10%~) due to a new-found lack of faith in the faction from the population.

Investment (Success)
In the event the faction succeeds, the system should randomly upgrade an existing station to the next level, or build a new small station in the system around a planetary body that does not already contain a station. This could be entirely random, it should not simply upgrade a station just because one already exists as partially upgraded though in my preference.
Furthermore, the faction should gain a considerable boost in influence (which could allow for a recovery into expansion thus still allowing minor factions to expand frequently enough).

Investment (Cancellation)
In the event that a player does not want an investment to take place due to the economic impact, during the preparation phase, any of the following can occur resulting in cancellation:
1. A war is triggered
2. The Influence of the faction drops below 50%
3. The faction is no longer the controlling faction of the system
4. The faction enters expansion instead

Any cancellations will not trigger the Recovery timer.

Investment (Timers)
The timers should be as follows:
- Preparation: 3 days
Population needs to maintain in the new threshold, faction cannot enter a war state in the current system.
- Investing: 4-7 days
At least 50% of the days need to be successful for mission criteria.
- Recovering: 10-20 days
After the successful investment, another investment cannot be triggered for 10 days. After a failed investment, another investment cannot be triggered for at least another 10 days, and a maximum of 20 days. The duration will depend on how quickly the economic status can return to Boom and the population threshold is not drained due to no expansion space.

Population Effects
Along with the ability to expand, upgrade and essentially develop your preferred systems, the dynamic population system would also come with its unique challenges...

Balancing the population levels in your system can determine the difference between famines, outbreaks, or civil unrest and a peaceful and happy system. The more unhappy your population, the more likely terrorism occurs. The greater your population, the higher the requirement for security, or the more lawbreakers frequent the system...(where applicable - anarchy!). The bigger the population, the harder it is to control essentially!
However, with a larger population, comes larger benefits; much higher demand in the markets on these, with higher than average market prices as a result. Systems become firmer in their resolve by staying loyal to the factions that improved their way of life. More stations in systems meaning you might not have to travel those 180,000Ls just to reach the station with a large pad when you’re done with it!

Population (Increase)
To qualify for a system with increasing population, the current population should be happy or elated and the controlling faction’s economic status should be at least in boom. There should not be any negative social states. All of these requirements should be active for at least 1 day together for the population to start rising.

Once a threshold is exceeded, the population should operate as normal for 5 days to prevent a scenario in which a population continuously rises and drops around a threshold... i.e if the system is happy, and no negative states are active, and the economy is in boom still, the population should continue to rise (even beyond the maximum capacity) while there isn’t enough space for that population.
After the 5 day period, the overcrowding factor should begin (pushing minor factions to want to finish the investment in the shortest time-frame of 7 days). At this point, outbreaks should become increasingly more likely, but famine increase should not trigger until at least the 7th day of being over-populated.

Once a system is at maximum population, the negative effects of overcrowding should be removed, and the final growth population will be its total population capacity.

Population (Decrease)
In removing population from a system, the system must be in a poor economic state (Bust and lower), or the people must be in Civil Unrest or Lockdown. Emergency stated like Famine or Drought can cause population decreases through death, and leaving... but outbreak can only lower the population through death. With more death, comes more civil unrest thus dropping the population lower to a more sustainable level for that controlling faction. Then with the lower population comes the easier handling of influence in that system to dislodge any unwanted controlling factions.

Population (Exceeded capacity (at any threshold))
In the event that the population exceeds its maximum capacity, the system can no longer be in an elated or happy state. Famine should happen much more frequently due to the over-consumption of foods. Droughts may occur due to water shortages. Outbreaks would have an extremely high chance of becoming active due to overcrowding... all in all, everything should ultimately lead to a state in which the population starts declining.

Stations (Adding)
Adding of stations as previously mentioned should be randomised around a planetary body that does not contain one already, on the end of a successful investment daily tick. Upon adding the station, the controlling faction’s economic status should drop to almost “Bust” for it to be recovered via conventional means. They should receive a +10%~ influence bonus for a successful investment, and any negative overpopulation effects should be removed instantly (excluding famine and outbreak requiring the needed commodities)

Stations (Removal)
The threshold for a station removal is that of the threshold before its construction. For example, if the population required for station C is 12,500, and was 10,000 for Station B, then at the point the population goes below 10,000, Station C will become abandoned. The station should remain abandoned for at least 30 days, before it is dismantled. In the event that a faction goes back into investment in that 30 day period that the station is abandoned, the next investment will revive the abandoned station, making it operational again

Opening the door...
Finally, dynamic populations opens the door for a number of new ways to sabotage systems, and nerf a faction’s influence... as well as much improve the desirability of unwanted systems that player factions currently inhabit, but have no intention of taking control of. This becomes less about minor factions simply expanding into new systems randomly, whether they want to or not, and more about providing a solid collective of stations and systems, operating efficiently as one.

(Apologies for the very lengthy post, and if there are any typos; I wrote all of this on my phone and it kept glitching and deleting random characters!)

Last edited:
It is my dream to see the game finally having population changes fit within the BGS. We have dynamic "economy", "influence" and "security" value for factions in a system, but the system itself unfortunately remains static - population and stations additions/upgrades require a CG and those are very rare and require manual input.

It is my dream to see the game finally having population changes fit within the BGS. We have dynamic "economy", "influence" and "security" value for factions in a system, but the system itself unfortunately remains static - population and stations additions/upgrades require a CG and those are very rare and require manual input.

Thanks for reading! I never knew that they were part of CGs.

The values you listed are all for individual factions, which is possibly why population is not included. It would require constant updates in a system as system control changes hands. Along with that, with each “happiness” rating also being faction specific, it might be that if FDev look to implement this, they’ll potentially do it on average happiness, average security etc for all factions before allowing the controlling faction to enter “Investment”. This would mean it would have less changes to population growth overall, but then it becomes harder to manage the BGS from a player perspective.

Either way, I had a lot of time last night to think about it, and thought I’d pencil the idea down!

Population currently decides the weekly income given to a power from powerplay control systems. It'd be great to be able to influence that. But also then becomes a design and balance consideration for any proposal of course :).

Population currently decides the weekly income given to a power from powerplay control systems. It'd be great to be able to influence that. But also then becomes a design and balance consideration for any proposal of course :).

My suggestion doesn’t come without strings of course. It will require balancing, however, the part I left open is the balancing part - if you notice, I haven’t referenced any formula anywhere which determines the rate of population change dependent on the required parameters.
It could be that the population increment is decided by the systems in a 20Ly radius, or 100Ly radius, or entirely based upon randomised time like the threshold is divided by 10-20 and then each day passing adjusts by that margin in either direction (give or take a random 1-10% value of it as well so changes aren’t entirely predictable).

It would entirely be up to FDev to find the balancing formula for population adjustments so that it doesn’t negatively impact any experiences, but (as I’ve outlined) simply improves the gameplay experience and provided positive experiences.

Definitely would like to see more ability for populations to vary and stations to develop/collapse based on usage, BGS states, etc.

Population Data
- Populations become fluid with a minimum and maximum value set;
Minimum = 5000 * (Number of planetary bodies / 8)
Maximum = 1000000 * ((Number of planetary bodies / 8) + 4)

For example:
System with 1 Sun, 3 Planets, 1 Moon becomes 4 planetary bodies. Minimum population becomes 2,500. Maximum population becomes 4,500,000.

System with 3 Suns, 14 Planets and 46 Moons becomes 60 planetary bodies. Minimum population becomes 37,500. Maximum population becomes 7,500,000.
With quite a few systems having populations into the billions already, and systems with >100 planetaries being incredibly rare, this would probably need to wait until after the Thargoids kill 99% of the bubble population.

This is one of the big problems with doing this in the bubble - an ELW Agricultural system of 1 billion people could lose 1 million people without noticing ... but those 1 million people could multiply by ten the populations of several nearby Extraction/Refinery systems. As a lot of things are dependent not on population but on log(population) or sqrt(population), disassembling a large system for spare parts for all its neighbours would almost always be the right answer.

Somewhere like Colonia or Witch Head or even Pleiades where systems have much narrower variations in population, it could work a lot more smoothly.

Investment State
This would alter the current “Investment” state by not having it as an increase in range for minor faction expansion, but an actual investment into the current system where applicable:
Quick note: no arguments that the Investment state should cause actual permanent Investment ... but it hasn't had anything to do with Expansions since the 3.3 release.

Definitely would like to see more ability for populations to vary and stations to develop/collapse based on usage, BGS states, etc.

With quite a few systems having populations into the billions already, and systems with >100 planetaries being incredibly rare, this would probably need to wait until after the Thargoids kill 99% of the bubble population.

This is one of the big problems with doing this in the bubble - an ELW Agricultural system of 1 billion people could lose 1 million people without noticing ... but those 1 million people could multiply by ten the populations of several nearby Extraction/Refinery systems. As a lot of things are dependent not on population but on log(population) or sqrt(population), disassembling a large system for spare parts for all its neighbours would almost always be the right answer.

Somewhere like Colonia or Witch Head or even Pleiades where systems have much narrower variations in population, it could work a lot more smoothly.

Quick note: no arguments that the Investment state should cause actual permanent Investment ... but it hasn't had anything to do with Expansions since the 3.3 release.

Thanks for the reply, dude.
Yeah, so the population formula needs to be scalable, to include the super large populated systems, as well as include the really small ones (I might be wrong, but I think I’ve seen some with less than 1000 population).
Maybe an addition of “tiers” like modules becomes applicable as well;
Tier 1: 1-15,000
Tier 2: 10,000 - 1.5m
Etc etc

That way the number of planetary bodies is still utilised to determine the number of stations, and the tier paired with that determines the maximum population for that system.

Investment stuff; aye this is my inexperience again I think. I’m still not sure which guides I’m reading is applicable for which versions of the game - however if investment currently has nothing to do with expansion, what is its purpose if not to actually invest in the underlying infrastructure?

Thanks for the reply, dude.
Yeah, so the population formula needs to be scalable, to include the super large populated systems, as well as include the really small ones (I might be wrong, but I think I’ve seen some with less than 1000 population).
Maybe an addition of “tiers” like modules becomes applicable as well;
Tier 1: 1-15,000
Tier 2: 10,000 - 1.5m
Etc etc

That way the number of planetary bodies is still utilised to determine the number of stations, and the tier paired with that determines the maximum population for that system.

Investment stuff; aye this is my inexperience again I think. I’m still not sure which guides I’m reading is applicable for which versions of the game - however if investment currently has nothing to do with expansion, what is its purpose if not to actually invest in the underlying infrastructure?

It is currently associated with the economy rating of a faction. Famine -> Bust -> None (Neutral) -> Boom -> Investment

The game was never patched to change the in-game description (which is crazy, since it's been years already).

It causes temporary investment - outfitting stock is often somewhat better when it's active, some hidden variables apparently improve (to what end, though?) - and it makes for some good trade prices on various goods.

Bump. Could do with more people discussing this, and picking it apart to find a viable solution for Dynamic Populations and system upgrades

Top Bottom