T9 buff in defense

Can the t9 have a few more hardpoints top and bottom to allow it to defend itself. They don't need to be large, medium would be cool.

Allow it to have 2 on top, 2 on bottom. In addition the ones at front.

Also give it another 2 utility slots allowing it to boost sheilds.

This amazing cargo ship needs to be able to fend off attacks while it escapes, when you are chased by a persistent NPc for example, your sheilds currently don't last long or have time to recharge. This will give it a chance to survive multiple interdictions

Also gives it a chance to defend when being used for mining, now more items need to be taken to mine.

Honestly, what the T9 needs is a better mass lock factor and some supercruise handling. Do that and the rest is gravy. It doesn’t need more guns.

Had a python for a while and though I need to really try proper trading.

So I got a T9 and what a hog it is - I mean I appreciate it is a big ship meant for carrying cargo but it can take literally light minutes to turn around in super cruise, and do not get me started on the standard thrusters it comes with - they can hardly get it off the deck.

So is it worth sticking some thruster engineering on it and if you do does it get any better or at least less frustrating?

T9 received a buff to hull and a extra 256 tonne cargo capacity, it is fine as it is and more than capable of holding it's own against any NPC rank. The T-10 is the heavy brawler, downside is lower freight capacity.

@JustJon - The T9 is a 2000+ tonne freighter when laden, a bit like asking why a Kenworth truck doesn't handle like a transit van. Best to stick to smaller ships if you can't handle it, most heavy ships require a different flying style, and efficient use of maneuvering thrusters.

All that being said, you should aim for 7D with G5 DD5 on the thrusters. Drive Distributors or Dirty drive tuning.

Last edited:
@JustJon - The T9 is a 2000+ tonne freighter when laden, a bit like asking why a Kenworth truck doesn't handle like a transit van. Best to stick to smaller ships if you can't handle it, most heavy ships require a different flying style, and efficient use of maneuvering thrusters.

I think I heard a slap...

How does mass lock factor increase defence?

Makes a huge difference. Right now an Krait or a Python can mass lock the T9, keeping it from hopping back to sc. frankly it should have a higher mass lock factor than a Clipper. This would allow it to stay in instance for a minimal amount of time before escaping back to sc. once in SC it should have better handling than it does now so it can at least stand a chance at fighting off an interdiction, should you want to not just in the minigame, but also in SC positioning if you are avoiding a ship getting on your tail with the interdictor.

Makes a huge difference. Right now an Krait or a Python can mass lock the T9, keeping it from hopping back to sc. frankly it should have a higher mass lock factor than a Clipper. This would allow it to stay in instance for a minimal amount of time before escaping back to sc. once in SC it should have better handling than it does now so it can at least stand a chance at fighting off an interdiction, should you want to not just in the minigame, but also in SC positioning if you are avoiding a ship getting on your tail with the interdictor.

Agree regarding the MLF, although it is all quite pointless against NPC's, they jump back to SC and interdict again. Best to just kill them.

T9 received a buff to hull and a extra 256 tonne cargo capacity, it is fine as it is and more than capable of holding it's own against any NPC rank. The T-10 is the heavy brawler, downside is lower freight capacity.

All that being said, you should aim for 7D with G5 DD5 on the thrusters.

It’s not fine. It needs a much higher mass lock factor and sc handling could use a buff as well. It may be a large ship but it should suit its purpose with reasonable efficacy. Frankly the handling I can live with though I think it should be better (in SC), but that mlf is a bad joke.
Edit... you ninja’d an answer above. Yeah mainly vs players, but that still counts for a lot. All ships should be open viable with proper outfitting while still retaining the ability to excell at its primary role.

All that being said, you should aim for 7D with G5 DD5 on the thrusters. Drive Distributors or Dirty drive tuning.

Hey i can drive and park it - even been experimenting with FA for giggles.

Was just surprised at how big the difference is between that and the python.

Also give it another 2 utility slots allowing it to boost sheilds.
With an 8A shield fitted and shield boosters in the existing slots, you already have 1836 MJ of shields (with 4 pips to systems)

Engineered, this can go to 5901 MJ (full reinforced/heavy-duty)

You really shouldn't need more boosters on top of that.

With an 8A shield fitted and shield boosters in the existing slots, you already have 1836 MJ of shields (with 4 pips to systems)

Engineered, this can go to 5901 MJ (full reinforced/heavy-duty)

You really shouldn't need more boosters on top of that.

But that gives away quite alot cargo space that option.

My Cutter with engineering, have ~3500 MJ shield.... and that is a class 5 prismatic Thermal resistance and that is with only 6 shield boosters.
As comparison, my Type 9 with Class 5 Prismatic Reinforced and 4 shield boosters only makes 1246 MJ....

Remove two shield boosters from the Cutter and you get 2560 MJ, still twice of what the Type 9 get from the same shield generator.

To put things in a more realistic perspective for the Type 9.

Both ships does 752 cargo, and I have a Guardian FSD Booster in the smallest slot, making for a noticeably improvement in jump range, at a small cost of cargo space.
Sadly, we cannot make any new engineered shields that will work on the cutter that is class 5.
Players collecting Powerplay modules should understand why I opt for this configuration to be able to carry atleast 750 cargo.

Top Bottom